MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

16 hours ago, Tangerin3 said:

Trying to choose between a good financial package at VCU and a lesser one to Tyler. I'm leaning toward VCU since I like their program more, wondering if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their perspective. I feel like I'm making a decision that's way over my head. 

Which department?

12 hours ago, sunflowerpower said:

Surprisingly accepted off of waitlist at Florida State University. Full tuition + Stipend!!!! Thought the waitlist was a cruel joke. :) I will accept. 

Was feeling down after receiving a rejection from UMD, but I am superrrr relieved now.

Anyone waitlisted for IU,Pratt, or MCAD I will officially decline their offers tomorrow. Hopefully good news coming someone's way.

????‍?

Congratulations! :)

On 3/22/2018 at 9:45 PM, humanbeing said:

Got waitlisted did you hear back? 

I was accepted off the waitlist late last week! Gonna go. Financial aid package is pretty grim but hopefully worth it.  Good luck to you - I've heard they go pretty deep into the waitlist as people decline this month. 

57 minutes ago, Heynow92 said:

I was accepted off the waitlist late last week! Gonna go. Financial aid package is pretty grim but hopefully worth it.  Good luck to you - I've heard they go pretty deep into the waitlist as people decline this month. 

Congrats! I’m sitting hoping I get a call to get offered a slot with New Genres. I am in at some great programs- UCSD, Tufts, SVA and Pratt. I have some decisions to make and having to weigh out my options. 

For anyone still waiting to here from VCU photo:

I contacted the department. I got a kind response, apologizing for any inconvenience the delay has caused, saying that the review process formally ended last week. Letters with their decisions should be coming to all within the next week(ish).

Because the language was a little vague, I don't know for sure if this means interviews have already happened, etc. However, the time line on their admissions page does say that interviews are conducted late February and final decisions made in early April.

It may be safe to make assumptions based off of this information. Either way, everyone should know soon.

I hope this is helpful. Waiting is the worst.

Edited by JonSin
spelling

2 hours ago, JonSin said:

For anyone still waiting to here from VCU photo:

I contacted the department. I got a kind response, apologizing for any inconvenience the delay has caused, saying that the review process formally ended last week. Letters with their decisions should be coming to all within the next week(ish).

Because the language was a little vague, I don't know for sure if this means interviews have already happened, etc. However, the time line on their admissions page does say that interviews are conducted late February and final decisions made in early April.

It may be safe to make assumptions based off of this information. Either way, everyone should know soon.

I hope this is helpful. Waiting is the worst.

Fantastic, thank you! Their process has been very long. I wonder if they interview every candidate, or accept some outright, :ph34r:.

1 hour ago, TinaSlay said:

Fantastic, thank you! Their process has been very long. I wonder if they interview every candidate, or accept some outright, :ph34r:.

Same.  I was one of their AIR for this department AND one of their faculty members wrote my rec letter for all my other applications.  I didn't get in last year but my current faculty advisors and classmates keep telling me how fucked up and bizarre that is.  I hope that's true and I get some good news but I'm trying not to to set myself up for disappointment.

Edited by wendi

2 hours ago, TinaSlay said:

From what I’ve read on their site, the interview is a mandatory part of the process. Which leads me to believe they’ve already been conducted? Since it’s so late? ?‍♂️ 

Regardless, I’m glad I’m not the only person here who’s been waiting to hear back. 

7 minutes ago, JonSin said:

From what I’ve read on their site, the interview is a mandatory part of the process. Which leads me to believe they’ve already been conducted? Since it’s so late? ?‍♂️ 

Regardless, I’m glad I’m not the only person here who’s been waiting to hear back. 

Eh, well. You win some you lose some.

19 minutes ago, Qiurui said:

What's going on with NYU? Has anyone heard anything from NYU'S Studio art? 

I believe their last interview day was on last Friday. (Mine was on 20th, Tuesday) They told me that they will be sitting down this week to go over the selected candidates and final decision will be notified the week after.

They emailed their interview candidates late February. 

Edited by John0000

1 hour ago, John0000 said:

I believe their last interview day was on last Friday. (Mine was on 20th, Tuesday) They told me that they will be sitting down this week to go over the selected candidates and final decision will be notified the week after.

They emailed their interview candidates late February. 

Thank you, I guess I've been rejected because I didn't even get an interview. 

On 3/26/2018 at 2:03 PM, jailcowboy said:

There are no full rides at Yale, but one can receive near full funding if they are not receiving financial help from their parents. Good work study, need-based and no merit based scholarships.

There are definitely fully funded students at Yale!  If you got an interview and you think it's worth your time applying again, then go for it! Everyone I personly know who attends interviewed again the following year and was admitted.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:50 AM, sellian said:

Good luck to you!!! I would also love to visit Korea... but it is super easy to get a year long working holiday visa for Japan in Australia. I have mainly done month-long residencies, this time I'd like to do something a bit longer. The ones I'm looking at are the Kamiyama AIR, the Aichi University of the Arts AIR, Youkubo Artspace, and PARADISE.

Ohh they all sound so amazing. Here are some of the more reputable residencies in Korea, you should check them out when you get a chance. Korean residencies are very welcoming to international artists, especially in New Media/interdisciplinary, so you should check these residencies out. The ones I mention below are all supported by museums and the government(therefore visas are sponsored). Best of lucks with your waitlist and residencies' applications!

Sema Nanji Residency
they partially reimburse you for your airplane ticket
One of the most famous residencies in Korea
Deadline: Between Aug-Sept

Incheon Art Platform
Studio and guest room
*need letters of rec

MMCA Changdong
You get monthly stipends!

MMCA Goyang
Similar to ChangDong

Seoul Art Space Geumcheon
Their English website is a little behind date but the artists they get are super talented.

https://blog.naver.com/sas_g ( a link to their international AIR)

1 hour ago, Zander said:

There are definitely fully funded students at Yale!  If you got an interview and you think it's worth your time applying again, then go for it! Everyone I personly know who attends interviewed again the following year and was admitted.

i don't think anyone gets a full ride from yale, 100% tuition waiver is possible, but the work study won't cover your living cost. you might get more funding for the living cost when you're in 2nd year (since 2nd year students get the first dibs for funding), but yeah. it's not as generous as merit-based scholarship that are being offered at say, VCU or UCLA, but everyone gets a fair share and the debts when we're graduating are reasonable

1 hour ago, cottonbuds100pcs said:

i don't think anyone gets a full ride from yale, 100% tuition waiver is possible, but the work study won't cover your living cost. you might get more funding for the living cost when you're in 2nd year (since 2nd year students get the first dibs for funding), but yeah. it's not as generous as merit-based scholarship that are being offered at say, VCU or UCLA, but everyone gets a fair share and the debts when we're graduating are reasonable

When I say full ride, I'm mean all your tuition is taken care of, separate from housing and living expenses. 

i've been in conversation with Pratt, and they offered me another 10k in scholarship money! so it looks like i'm most likely heading to NYC in the fall. i think i'm going to live in the dorms for at least a semester, just so it's easier to find an apartment. it's not exactly easy to find a place to live while i'm living in the Midwest, and apartment hunting for NYC online is like navigating a minefield. apparently my gf can move in to the dorms as well! 

i've done a lot of research about negotiating scholarships, and it's definitely worth trying. 

anyway, who else is going to Pratt? i'm 99% sure i'm going, so it would be cool to get to know other students and their work beforehand! i'm going for Painting and Drawing, btw.