MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Also, Someone just tell me where I should go.

Alfred University: accepted tuition and small stipend

Florida State: accepted tuition and small stipend

UDel: accepted tuition and nice stipend

Notre Dame: Interviewed to be determined

Hello, thank you for sharing all the wonderful info. I'm just beginning to research schools for an MFA in sculpture, incorporating ceramics and welding. I'm beginning to lean toward a low res program. My first step is really figuring out the vision/vibe/focus of different programs. Generally schools have a focus of some sort, say mostly abstract or conceptual, some lean towards interactive or new media. My work is representational and focuses on gender issues, so obviously working with a conceptual or minimalist faculty would not be a good fit. Does anyone have any recommendations based on their experience/visits to schools? It's been exhausting trying to figure this out through websites. I especially appreciated one post that described the interview at Yale. It was eye opening.

Edited by Doelorus

1 hour ago, thirdtimesthecharm said:

No, I haven’t. I sent them an email but no response. Starting to think it’s bad news. 

same here! I also sent them an email but got nothing...what's the reason for delay? I don't get it...

59 minutes ago, artistajh said:

Anyone interviewed at Columbia new genres been contacted? I have not heard anything since interviewing 2/24. Any acceptions/rejections from Columbia? 

Have you tried logging into your application and seeing if there's an update for you? 

1 hour ago, Teishakh said:

Also, Someone just tell me where I should go.

Alfred University: accepted tuition and small stipend

Florida State: accepted tuition and small stipend

UDel: accepted tuition and nice stipend

Notre Dame: Interviewed to be determined

One thing my friends have told me is to consider the network/reputation of the school, as in the doors it will open. One of my friends now wishes she had  gone for a bigger name for the support after graduation even if it meant more debt. She feels like she would have gotten a teaching job sooner.

16 minutes ago, artistajh said:

Yes, no update at all. 

Dang, good luck, I don't know what the silence means. :( Most of the people I know who applied have already gotten their acceptance or official rejection by now. 

I know one person who got accepted into new genres already though. 

I got my CalArts Film/Video financial info yesterday. 20k/yr scholarship! Did anyone get any work study info? SAIC and SVA have offered potential work-study and I'm wondering if I didn't qualify for such at CalArts, or if info regarding that might come later, or if I'll just have to find a separate on-campus/other job ( which I'll have to do anyway :P ) . Want to email the the FinAid office but thought I'd ask here first as I'm not trying to seem too "well THESE schools did THAT" confrontational.

Might wait a couple days for a physical packet if that's a thing with CalArts and see if that has info.

Edited by ackno

13 hours ago, DigitalGlacier said:

I called admissions this week. They said some decisions have gone out but not all of them and we will know by the end of the week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I am in the same boat as you. 

My guess is waitlisted then. Were you at the interview on the 24th? So far I’ve been accepted to:

Tufts Museum School in Boston, SVA and Pratt (with a nice merit scholarship). I’m still waiting to hear back from Columbia, UC San Diego and CU Boulder. As of now, my gut is telling me Pratt, so I’ll be letting a few of the other schools know that I would like to decline soon. This journey has been stressful, but we are excited about leaving Texas and heading to Brooklyn as of now! 

29 minutes ago, artistajh said:

My guess is waitlisted then. Were you at the interview on the 24th? So far I’ve been accepted to:

Tufts Museum School in Boston, SVA and Pratt (with a nice merit scholarship). I’m still waiting to hear back from Columbia, UC San Diego and CU Boulder. As of now, my gut is telling me Pratt, so I’ll be letting a few of the other schools know that I would like to decline soon. This journey has been stressful, but we are excited about leaving Texas and heading to Brooklyn as of now! 

What are the chances to get off Columbia's waitlist based on the past few years? Does anybody know?

2 hours ago, artistajh said:

Congratulations on your acceptances! 

I think that that may be the case with the waitlist but we don’t know for sure. I interviewed on feb 26th. Also, last year I was notified of my place on the waitlist on Monday March 27, which would correspond to this upcoming Monday. 

All that said I know some ppl last year had heard about waitlist like ten days before I heard so take that for whatever it’s worth  

17 hours ago, ackno said:

I got my CalArts Film/Video financial info yesterday. 20k/yr scholarship! Did anyone get any work study info? SAIC and SVA have offered potential work-study and I'm wondering if I didn't qualify for such at CalArts, or if info regarding that might come later, or if I'll just have to find a separate on-campus/other job ( which I'll have to do anyway :P ) . Want to email the the FinAid office but thought I'd ask here first as I'm not trying to seem too "well THESE schools did THAT" confrontational.

Might wait a couple days for a physical packet if that's a thing with CalArts and see if that has info.

I was offered work study for CalArts, $2,500...enough to cover groceries for the year, I suppose. -_-

Accepted: UO-Eugene, full ride, w/ GA, Waitlisted: CalArts, Rejected: UCLA, Rejected: Hunter

Cheers to everyone! It has been cool chatting with everyone the past few months. Good vibes to everyone! - insta: @reckling.ball 

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 

4 hours ago, DigitalGlacier said:

Congratulations on your acceptances! 

I think that that may be the case with the waitlist but we don’t know for sure. I interviewed on feb 26th. Also, last year I was notified of my place on the waitlist on Monday March 27, which would correspond to this upcoming Monday. 

All that said I know some ppl last year had heard about waitlist like ten days before I heard so take that for whatever it’s worth  

Just received email notification of waitlist. 

Second year in a row of being on waitlist. 

Woof. 

MFA Graphic Design 

Yale : waitlisted 

RISD : ghosted (maybe rejected)

RCA :  accepted

MICA : accepted with $14000 each year

VCU : accepted with full funding for a year and assistantship

SVA : rejected

OTIS : accepted with $24000

That's all I got right now, 

YALE was my one and only choice but I guess there is no hope for the wait list...

I am still thinking about where should I go... maybe RCA? or... one more year?

What do you think guys? Need some advice :(

Edited by meowww

36 minutes ago, meowww said:

MFA Graphic Design 

Yale : waitlisted 

RISD : ghosted (maybe rejected)

RCA :  accepted

MICA : accepted with $14000 each year

VCU : accepted with full funding for a year and assistantship

SVA : rejected

OTIS : accepted with $24000

That's all I got right now, 

YALE was my one and only choice but I guess there is no hope for the wait list...

I am still thinking about where should I go... maybe RCA? or... one more year?

What do you think guys? Need some advice :(

When did you hear from VCU and how?

Hi all, 

Since I was only accepted to MICA, I'll def be going there, but am trying to decide between two programs - Mount Royal (multidisciplinary) and Photo and Electronic Media. Supposedly Mount Royal currently has a better reputation, but I got more money from PEM (50%, which is their biggest scholarship). I got 30% from Mount Royal. I've been talking to EVERYONE I can and thought maybe I'd post to this here trusty forum to see if anyone has any thoughts? :wub::wub::wub:

Also, did anyone on this forum get accepted to UCLA New Genres? I don't recall seeing any acceptances. If someone was, I would love to look at their website! 

Thank you!!!

Edited by calgone22