MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On 3/13/2018 at 5:58 PM, screendoorslams said:

anyone who got into USC MFA heard back on any funding yet/ know what to expect? I applied hoping that all their bad press would lead to a complete turnaround in support but I really have no idea what to anticipate funding-wise.:ph34r:

the person I talked to said they would meet again next week and let us know as they're on spring break now. But it might vary between depts.

On 14/3/2018 at 1:45 AM, Wolfgang Liam said:

Hey same here, I didn't receive anything from RISD( not even interview at this point)  losing hope too. Did you apply for 2yr or 3yr GD (mine is 2yr)?  Congratulations on all the acceptance. I think it definitely depends on which city you want to start your career and what is your design focus. I got ACCD, SVA, SAIC and MIT. Going for SAIC because of the fine arts aspect and scholarship. If you're considering practical/commercial training either Art Center or SVA. But if Calarts and RISD replied you, I'd say these schools are just so amazing. Good luck.  

hey, which MIT program did you get accepted into? is it art, culture, technology? if so, may i ask whether or not they gave you a funding?

6 hours ago, ipaintandipout said:

Has anyone heard from Georgia State for drawing and painting? I know someone who has an interview scheduled for graphic design, but don't know if different concentrations in the art department might be on different schedules.

When I contacted them they said they were going to try to have acceptance letters out by the 15th but that was sculpture.  Not sure if all departments are going to follow. Still waiting to hear.  Good luck! 

4 hours ago, Shinobi_Legend said:

Rejected from Tulane yesterday. lol almost out of the running! I have only Georgia State to hear from and hope that I am accepted in from the waitlist lol! Wish me luck

Sending the law of attraction your way my friend! Good luck! 

51 minutes ago, jailcowboy said:

Anyone here able to share info about UCLA? I was not accepted and not surprised. I have not visited the school nor do I know much of the work that comes out of there. Anyone have any info to share about the ethos of the school?

From emailing instructors and past students: very hands-off. Students work very independently. The lone New Genres faculty member, Andrea Fraser, just became chair of the entire dept. meaning she will be even less available. The school is now spending their huge $20 million grant from Margo Leavin to revamp their MFA studio spaces (which were already pretty huge!). Work displayed during their open house looked very standard. But hey, UCLA on your resume!

16 hours ago, forgottenverses said:

the person I talked to said they would meet again next week and let us know as they're on spring break now. But it might vary between depts.

thank you! they told me they would send an email and letter this week when I had asked last week so it's a bit frustrating that we got two separate emails but...oh well, maybe i'll see you in LA.

So now that I'm done with my interviews, I thought I would summarize my experiences so prospective applicants next year will have some more information going in. I couldn't find much info about Pratt or RISD interviews this year, so I'd like to offer some insight. I'm going to omit the specific questions they asked about my work, as it isn't relevant. I will note how many were asked, however.

Boston U: Option between Skype or in-person interview. Flew there are I had someone to stay with. Three faculty members (Josephine Halvorson, Jaya Howey, Marc Schepens) and two MFA students were in the interview. It lasted about 15-20 minutes, and these are the questions posed to me:

- Why BU

- Why grad school/why now?

- Talk about the process of making your work

- How do you think your work fits into the lineage of contemp. painting (paraphrasing, but that's the jist)

- What artists are you looking at/inspire your work

- *Personal question about work*

- Any questions for us?

Overall tone was pleasant, but deadpan. I couldn't read the room at all, except for one moment of excitement from an interviewer. I ended up getting in and they seemed enthusiastic after all. I honestly thought I did something wrong initially, but I guess that's the tone they take during the interview. 

Pratt: Skype interview (no option for in-person, which i'm grateful for given the cost of flying). Two faculty members (Michael Brennan and Nat Meade). The whole interview lasted 17 minutes, with 3-4 of those being my questions. Here are the questions:

- I'm looking at *insert piece name here* and it seems to have these types of influences. Can you talk about that and how you make your work?

- Why grad school now? Why Pratt?

- Talk about artists you are influenced by

- Non-art influences

- Do you know such and such artists? (I did, but I'm bad with names. They let me google them while interviewing and we talked about them)

- *Few more personal questions about work*

Overall tone was extremely pleasant. They were openly complimentary during and after the interview, and very positive about my work and answers to their questions. They were both enthusiastic about the program and about the potential for me to come there. They had good, direct answers for my questions. The whole thing felt like a more intimate conversation about my work with people who were genuinely interested. I sent both of them follow-up emails and they both responded within a day or two. I heard back 3-4 days later via a phone call from the chair with scholarship info. They were timely, friendly, enthusiastic, and accomodating. 

RISD: Skype interview, but it was complicated. They really discourage doing Skype interviews, but due to the untimely, massive storm that hit on the day I was supposed to fly out, I couldn't make it. They were understanding, but I think that's the only reason I got a pass. They more or less told me that I wouldn't get in if I didn't show up in person. There were at least 10 faculty members for the interview. This was my longest interview at about 30-45 minutes. Kevin Zucker was leading the interview.

*All of the questions were very detailed, thoughtful (and tough) questions about my process, my concepts, my thinking, my interests, and my essay (which was a first). They asked me if I'd be ok with how rigorous their program was, and how it compares to the program I came from for undergrad*

Overall tone was somewhere in the middle. It wasn't necessarily enthusiastic (towards me), and definitely wasn't complimentary, but not malicious or unreasonable either. They did seem to put a lot of thought into everything they asked, and I really appreciated the effort and time that would take. The questions were serious and very specific, and I'm extremely grateful this was my last interview. I needed the most time to prepare for this one, and if you don't think about your technique, influences, concepts, and goals often, you better start practicing. Another website mentioned that they "grill you tribunal style". I wouldn't call that accurate. If you can't handle hard questions about your work and you tend to take it personally, I can understand how it may feel like that, but I've had way worse experiences in undergrad crits, and it just requires that you have a good level of awareness about your work. I wouldn't really expect less from a top school. They answered my questions directly and thoroughly, and were helpful and accommodating. I left unsure of whether or not I'd be accepted, but I didn't falter at all or stumble on questions, and I answered honestly and accurately, so if it's not a good fit for them, I won't take it to heart. I was just honored to even be considered.

I hope this is helpful for everyone, and good luck in our final days of this torturous season!

On 3/13/2018 at 1:17 PM, carolinephoto said:

I got accepted to UPenn and Wash U. Both of them offered me half scholarships. Does anyone have an opinion on these programs? 

I was accepted to UPenn and it was the only program i applied to. 

I really like it, the professors seem really cool and involved and they see to want to curate a great group of ppl to make work together. 

The facilities are small (i'm a sculptor) but i'm willing to work with it. 

I'm waitlisted at Ohio State. I thought my interview went pretty well, but they said they had over 100 applicants so I'm pretty happy to even make it to this point. I am Australian, so the whole process has been a bit difficult to wrap my head around, but I am still holding out hope to be accepted. I've started making other plans, though - I have my eye on some residencies in Japan, as well as working towards a group show in Melbourne in September. It is kind of a relief to put it out of my mind and have something else to think about.

Got accepted to RIT the other day! My acceptance email said that I did receive a scholarship and assistantship but the details will follow. So at this point, it's looking like it's going to come down to Syracuse or RIT.  Still no word from Syracuse about an assistantship. They're my first choice for sure but if I don't get an assistantship it is a deal breaker. :/ 

On 3/13/2018 at 3:15 PM, IrisR said:

Looks like Alfred/Düsseldorf has made their decision.  I wish them luck with their new MFA painting program journey. It should be amazing for those who got accepted. 

Hey, I was accepted to that program, but I have a couple of other choices as well - BU, Mica and Pafa. Do you have any information about Alfred's new program? It's hard to come by, being its first year and all. Thanks!

Edited by Dmize91

10 hours ago, sellian said:

I'm waitlisted at Ohio State. I thought my interview went pretty well, but they said they had over 100 applicants so I'm pretty happy to even make it to this point. I am Australian, so the whole process has been a bit difficult to wrap my head around, but I am still holding out hope to be accepted. I've started making other plans, though - I have my eye on some residencies in Japan, as well as working towards a group show in Melbourne in September. It is kind of a relief to put it out of my mind and have something else to think about.

Haha I'm in a similar situation except I am waitlisted at UT Austin. Just out of curiosity, what residencies are you looking for in Japan? I am based in Korea so just interested. 

7 hours ago, mARTyr said:

How were you contacted? If we haven't heard anything from them yet, what does that mean?? 

I've got no idea - I didn't get an interview offer. This is the first correspondence I've received.. via email.