MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

12 hours ago, zelle said:

Hey guys!!! Just tagging along with your thread..

I also got into MICA MFAST and am SO enamored with the care and individual attention they’re putting towards their artists. My gut tells me just to accept already! 

But I also got into SAIC low-res and CCA (which is just a few blocks from my home in SF)

choices!!!!! I did not anticipate having such a difficult decision!! How are you thinking this through?

also, having 3 years a tight class of 9 is PRETTY attractive on top of the general MICA awesomeness .. so I’ll probably end up seeing you guys this June regardless of how much agonizing I do in the next few weeks!

But they’re all good choices!

Anyway! I had a good email exchange with a current student about creating sustainable community across distance and the schools support of professional development - good feedback all around. Seems like a genuinely awesome group.

also! Check out the podcast “Beyond the Studio” - tons of interviews of MICA grads and awesome honest conversation about the nitty gritty.

Hey, @zelle - awesome, congrats! I also got into SAIC and am feeling very torn. I have a MassArt interview coming up and am waiting on UArts, but they are both feeling secondary right now. I did have some brief outreach from the director of the UArts low res program when she saw my portfolio, but it’s been radio silence since she got my full application packet. So that saying, I totally agree - the attention and care MICA has been giving is phenomenal and it’s almost making the decision easier since 1) I’m in Virginia and it’s logistically such an easier option, and 2) the funding might end up being better.

Also, I totally agree with you on the current students’ perspectives - everything I’ve heard from them is only positive. Another thing I have learned from a current student is that MICA seems to really put an emphasis on making their students’ education in and introduction to professional practice extremely well rounded and useful. That is such a bonus. 

And thanks for the tip on the podcast! I’ll be sure to check it out!

35 minutes ago, MFAAFM said:

Congrats. How and when were you notified. That's a great problem to have but i see how it can be super stressful!

I was notified yesterday via. email. (I guess it's a great (stressful) problem, yes!)

Edited by stupidpainter

Hello everyone! I have an interview with Aalto Arts for visual communication design coming up. Any advice/experience  anyone? 

Secondly, I got an acceptance from MICA but the MA program (graphic design) that is a one year program. Anyone knows how different it’ll be from the two year MFA and whether it’ll be a good idea to go ahead with it? I also have an acceptance from Pratt for an MFA- Graphic design. So quite a confusing choice to make. 

Any insights anyone? :)

On 2/27/2018 at 2:50 PM, cme000 said:

I haven't seen anyone else talk about Miami University, but I figured I would go ahead and put this out there-- I got accepted with a full tuition waiver and a TA position with a stipend!

Same here! I haven't seen anyone else comment on their program either, but their faculty seems great. Have you visited the campus at all?

looks like SAIC had some major mail issues. Got a scanned copy of my letter. Unfortunately, rejected from the SAIC mfa painting and drawing program, but got directly admitted into the post-bacc program. Anybody have major feels about post-baccs? are they worth it?

8 hours ago, stupidpainter said:

I was notified yesterday via. email. (I guess it's a great (stressful) problem, yes!)

Damn wonder if this means rejections for all the rest of us?...

31 minutes ago, 2018 Hopeful said:

Hi @LHM,  thanks for the heads up on USC Roski acceptance schedule: I just checked the USC admissions portal, and see the rejection letter, boo. Ah well! Good luck on your apps!

Where does it tell you if you been rejected? 

On 3/10/2018 at 9:45 AM, anxxx said:

for those that interviewed at Columbia I emailed and we're not going to hear until late March...

Anyone accepted at UPenn, did they send you financial aid stuff? 

To update~

UPenn: accepted

Columbia: interviewed

NYU: interviewed

Hunter: interviewing today

Rutgers: interviewed, rejected 

Yale: #reject

HOw was your hunter interview ?? I interviewed too

On 3/7/2018 at 4:32 PM, Makerak said:

Accepted to SVA for mfa fine arts. Also got excellent funding for SAIC and possibly more funding to come.

Downside is SAIC wants an answer by Mar 15th but it looks very likely Im heading to SAIC XD

I'm in the exact same situation. I submitted my scholarship form for SVA fine arts mfa but the impending SAIC deadline with guaranteed funding attached is tempting.  I have an offer from RISD as well with some funding but not quite as much as SAIC. It's frustrating to have to decide before all the information is clear but maybe it's just an early bird gets the worm situation for SAIC. Have you done any more thinking on the matter?  

On 06/03/2018 at 5:33 AM, kazuhiro_chou said:

Don’t worry. Goldsmiths is still interviewing because I will have one with them this coming Friday. So, you don’t need to worry about the result as they haven’t finished the interviews yet. Which programs of RCA and SAIC did you apply and may I ask why would Goldsmiths be your best choice over those three schools?

Sorry for late reply. I am still not able to get  a result. I guess this is because faculties of goldsmiths are striking in recent.

the answer is three main reasons as me.

Firstly, RCA and Saic are more expensive tuition fee than goldsmiths. Espacially for international student. I felt it is truly unfair!

Secondly, there are many artists in goldsmiths who I have admired. They actively participates in current international art field such as biennale and international film festival and so on. I believe that goldsmiths has the best staff and tutors among these schools.

Lastly,  I like curriculum in goldsmiths that fully focus on not only art practice but also research about current huge amount of contemporary theories such as in socio-political, geopolitical and technological perspective.

Edited by Sbahn

On 3/10/2018 at 5:36 PM, painterlady431 said:

Same here! I haven't seen anyone else comment on their program either, but their faculty seems great. Have you visited the campus at all?

Yeah, I actually went to visit this weekend! Met some grad students and had lunch with faculty. They are great, and the campus is beautiful. There are so many forest hiking trails around the campus which is nice because I paint outside a lot.  I'm most likely going there, and I'm excited about being able to have so much one-on-one with the faculty. 

18 hours ago, thirdtimesthecharm said:

Interviewed at Hunter. Did anyone else who interviewed or attended open studios Friday night get the impression that the current MFA students weren’t really excited or happy with the program? 

Hi, I didn't get the sense the students weren't happy, but I did notice a certain lethargy.  Didn't really pin-point it until reading your post.  That said, there were a few engaging students.  I did notice a certain immaturity among some (even though most of the students are not fresh out of under-grad).  Any one else care to share their observations?

22 hours ago, charoarte said:

HOw was your hunter interview ?? I interviewed too

My interview felt too quick.  I didn't get to touch on several subjects that I truly regret not getting to.  Other than that, I found every one pleasant and the environment seemed to have more potential for growth than programs that have the intensely critical/power play kind of culture?  What was your take?  How was your interview.  Unrelated, but thanks for posting alll this hunter stuff previously.  Work and life in the last month has prevented me from being able to sit down and engage.

Any of you writing thank you noted to interviewers?  I've asked around, but I only have connections to other fields (not art) and many have said that this is slimy/corporate behavior and not necessarily fit for an academic institutions.   That said, I have this nagging feeling like I am missing something!  

30 minutes ago, paint_and_destroy said:

Hi, I didn't get the sense the students weren't happy, but I did notice a certain lethargy.  Didn't really pin-point it until reading your post.  That said, there were a few engaging students.  I did notice a certain immaturity among some (even though most of the students are not fresh out of under-grad).  Any one else care to share their observations?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the subject. To be quite honest I was really excited about the program and the prospect of possibly attending. However after visiting I find myself a bit disappointed. While speaking with students one asked who I was interviewing with and after sharing with them the names they had no idea who those professors were. This seemed really strange to me. I had a friend attend the open house event with me and their opinion was very similar to mine. Am I wrong in believing Hunter to be an excellent and reputable program? Did you get the sense you have a lot of studio visits with faculty? One student in their 3rd semester had only 6 total visits from faculty which seems quite low. I also noticed the immaturity you mentioned. I am not a spring chicken...lol. 

My interview went well. It was quicker than other interviews I have had and a little intense. 

33 minutes ago, thirdtimesthecharm said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the subject. To be quite honest I was really excited about the program and the prospect of possibly attending. However after visiting I find myself a bit disappointed. While speaking with students one asked who I was interviewing with and after sharing with them the names they had no idea who those professors were. This seemed really strange to me. I had a friend attend the open house event with me and their opinion was very similar to mine. Am I wrong in believing Hunter to be an excellent and reputable program? Did you get the sense you have a lot of studio visits with faculty? One student in their 3rd semester had only 6 total visits from faculty which seems quite low. I also noticed the immaturity you mentioned. I am not a spring chicken...lol. 

My interview went well. It was quicker than other interviews I have had and a little intense. 

I too left disappointed and had hoped that Hunter was the answer to my issues with MFA programs.  I got a sense that the program could be isolating and not effective if not taken into ones own hands (much like life).  This lack of initiative on the part of many of the students was unnerving, made me wonder if I would go nuts surrounded by that for 3 years.  I also found some of the more engaged students (the ones who were around to help during interview day) to be do-gooders and too focused on being students.  The few students that I asked how many times they met with faculty seemed to vary. Did you get a sense of what critiques are like? Also, who did you interview with?  

Edited by paint_and_destroy

25 minutes ago, paint_and_destroy said:

I too left disappointed and had hoped that Hunter was the answer to my issues with MFA programs.  I got a sense that the program could be isolating and not effective if not taken into ones own hands (much like life).  This lack of initiative on the part of many of the students was unnerving, made me wonder if I would go nuts surrounded by that for 3 years.  I also found some of the more engaged students (the ones who were around to help during interview day) to be do-gooders and too focused on being students.  The few students that I asked how many times they met with faculty seemed to vary. Did you get a sense of what critiques are like? 

Exactly! It felt like you would definitely need to be motivated and confident in sustaining your own practice and not dependent on faculty/critics. I was actually so surprised by what a lot of students were saying that I completely forgot to ask about critiques! Did anyone else get a sense of what they are like? There are so many students in the program...does everyone attend and how often do they take place? 

Edited by thirdtimesthecharm