MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

1 hour ago, Basil101 said:

Hi Makerak, Did you already have a interview for SVA fine arts? Do you mind share your interview experience? Mine is coming up this weekend, and I am quite nervous since I didn't impressed SAIC during the interview. Congrats on your SAIC acceptance and decent funding!

Sure thing. It was pretty standard questions, basically general themes/influences of your works, Why SVA, and then prof. picked out an aspect of a work that he went into detail. Of course, the "any questions for us"?

Very standard, very routine so as long you are well prepared you should be fine! Good luck!

14 hours ago, chaosforte said:

Hey, I have an interview there at MassArt end of the month, so looks like it may be April before they send out decisions.

For what program, though? MassArt already had their big interview day and this was in the last email from the grad coordinator: “Graduate admissions decisions should go out the first full week of March.”

13 hours ago, midtown_magic said:

SVA Photo acceptances went out yesterday, unless there is another wave coming. 

I saw acceptances for photo go out Monday and Tuesday, so I guess it could be spread out. But it doesn’t bode well for me either, haha.

On 2018/3/2 at 6:22 PM, rebkhan said:

I went to nyu as an undergrad and at the time undergrands and grads had a lot of overlap. Also my bf did his mfa at NYU so if anyone has any questions about the program/facilities let me know!

Hi rebkhan, 

I just want to ask if you know anything about Tisch Design for stage and film program?

9 minutes ago, poyloust said:

I was rejected by SVA Design, found the result in the application portal like 3 days ago?

What does your application portal say that makes you think you were rejected?

2 hours ago, andreabengeart said:

Got into MICA's MFAST (Low-Residency Studio Art) via a lovely phone call today :lol:B):P

Still waiting to hear back on funding and a few other programs so we'll see! 

@andreabengeart Awesome! I also got in and am waiting for some more info. I was told they only accept 9 into each cohort. Maybe we’ll see each other this summer! 

I reached out to a few current students for their perspective, so I’m hoping that might also help narrow down the decision. 

2 hours ago, cklos said:

For what program, though? MassArt already had their big interview day and this was in the last email from the grad coordinator: “Graduate admissions decisions should go out the first full week of March.”

@cklos @chaosforte I also have an interview coming up with MassArt - mine is for their low-res program.

Edited by PaperMoon
Update

4 minutes ago, PaperMoon said:

@andreabengeart Awesome! I also got in and am waiting for some more info. I was told they only accept 9 into each cohort. Maybe we’ll see each other this summer! 

I reached out to a few current students for their perspective, so I’m hoping that might also help narrow down the decision. 

Very cool!! Yes I really loved the faculty and panel interview, it seemed like a great program and opportunity. I think the grad admissions office originally told me we'd hear the decision this week and then get a packet with financial info via postal mail the next week. What did you ask the perspective students? 

12 minutes ago, andreabengeart said:

Very cool!! Yes I really loved the faculty and panel interview, it seemed like a great program and opportunity. I think the grad admissions office originally told me we'd hear the decision this week and then get a packet with financial info via postal mail the next week. What did you ask the perspective students? 

That’s good to hear - I’ve been checking my mailbox nonstop! 

I asked the other students mostly general questions, like what made them choose MICA MFAST and how it has helped them. One student said she has been accepted into more nationally juried shows since starting the program - which is always good. She also said she felt MICA was really trying to make a connection from the beginning, with the interviews and phone calls (vs. other schools) - which I have to agree with. She also said she received some funding.

Her answers were pretty helpful, so far.

37 minutes ago, cklos said:

What does your application portal say that makes you think you were rejected?

The status is Application Declined ”...we can't offer you admission at this time...”

If you're on the waitlist or admitted, it should be something like ”decisions will be sent by mail/emil” 

22 minutes ago, PaperMoon said:

That’s good to hear - I’ve been checking my mailbox nonstop! 

I asked the other students mostly general questions, like what made them choose MICA MFAST and how it has helped them. One student said she has been accepted into more nationally juried shows since starting the program - which is always good. She also said she felt MICA was really trying to make a connection from the beginning, with the interviews and phone calls (vs. other schools) - which I have to agree with. She also said she received some funding.

Her answers were pretty helpful, so far.

Ah very cool I should email them too. I feel the same way, the phone call and interview were both very personable and made me feel great. I'm close enough I could commute although it'd be long, plus I have a four year old I need to find daycare for and my husband works pretty long hours so those six weeks would be hellish. I have another program closer that might be more affordable and easier to get to, but not as well known as MICA. So I think its going to come down to logistics and funding. Ahhhh decisions!! 

56 minutes ago, oscarmeyer said:

@snowball0 didn't interview and haven't heard anything...someone was accepted to sculpture w/o interviewing. i keep checking this portal https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/Account/AppStatus.aspx

good luck

Damn, they were? Yeah this whole experience has been so unenjoyable.

I really wonder how they base their decision. I have a (at least in my opinion admittedly...) great portfolio and plenty of professional and gallery experience.

Ultimately though, I convinced myself that I would get it and seem to be facing the (likely) rejection terribly. Really is my dream school, but I cut the application tot he last minute, yada yada. Is what it is.

sad ramble done. I would love some insight on their process

3 hours ago, apollonia666 said:

Interesting.. got an interview request from RISD today when I had assumed no word meant rejection. Maybe some interviewers dropped out? 

best of luck!!!