MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

I'm a little confused about the funding side of things. For instance, if my acceptance letter has no mention of any funding, does that mean it's their final offer? Or is there a separate letter for funding? Or can I try to get funding by talking to the department chair? Or is that not advisable?

Apologies for the barrage of questions.

Edited by quackophony

9 hours ago, charoarte said:

At least I’m trying to be hopeful I haven’t heard anything yet 

I asked at my interview and they said that if you don't hear anything back right away, it's a good thing. They notify rejected and waitlisted students first.

17 hours ago, Itsnotafluke said:

What are you all putting in your email to decline an offer of admission? I’m having trouble because I know faculty at both schools I’m rejecting and I want to save face just in case I run into them in the future. 

Don't stress about it, every college knows that we will be picking a program based on a lot of factors. I think you should just write that have decided to take up the program at abc college due a lot of factors wrt to funding, TAship whatever you feel is the case. Thank them for their time, and make sure you end the email on a positive note like their progarm was super and that you hope to meet the faculty in the future. All the best!!

1 hour ago, hoax said:

I asked at my interview and they said that if you don't hear anything back right away, it's a good thing. They notify rejected and waitlisted students first.

Hey all, glad to read many of us are still in the running.  Got an email this morning from admissions (wait for it) needing some documents.  

22 hours ago, Wolfgang Liam said:

Hey same here, I didn't receive anything from RISD( not even interview at this point)  losing hope too. Did you apply for 2yr or 3yr GD (mine is 2yr)?  Congratulations on all the acceptance. I think it definitely depends on which city you want to start your career and what is your design focus. I got ACCD, SVA, SAIC and MIT. Going for SAIC because of the fine arts aspect and scholarship. If you're considering practical/commercial training either Art Center or SVA. But if Calarts and RISD replied you, I'd say these schools are just so amazing. Good luck.  

Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance too. I applied for 2 years for all of them. I know.. I am so interested in RISD and Calarts but I am a little worried about how there might be less opportunities than in big cities like New York. Also, During my interview at Calarts, the faculties were suggesting most of us to take the 3 years because apparently the program is super competitive and everyone is so talented and it would be hard to keep up with them if we directly jump into the 2- year program. And devoting more time means more tuition as well. But I defiantly know how amazing the school is and how they really focus on some experimental and conceptual design, which I am also super interested in. What a struggle... Can't choose between Calarts and SVA. Hey, if you were me, what would you choose? Good luck too!!

2 hours ago, Rita Benissan said:

I contacted Cornell and they said applicants will be notified later today or tomorrow! Good Luck everyone!!

Thanks for the info! Is that for acceptances/rejections, or for interviews??

On 3/11/2018 at 8:48 PM, cme000 said:

Yeah, I actually went to visit this weekend! Met some grad students and had lunch with faculty. They are great, and the campus is beautiful. There are so many forest hiking trails around the campus which is nice because I paint outside a lot.  I'm most likely going there, and I'm excited about being able to have so much one-on-one with the faculty. 

That's so great! I'm glad that you're excited about the program. I plan to visit in about a week and can't wait to see the campus and meet everyone in person.

Just got accepted to SVA Photo/Video with an invitation to apply separately for a scholarship and for 10hr/20hr assistantships for 1/4th or 1/2th tuition. Still waiting on CalArts funding info but I’ll probably attend SVA’s accepted-reception either way since I’m around/already there one day a week for a Cont. Ed class. Anyone else going?

Have any of you pitted your funding offers against those of other schools in hopes of further offers? Any way to do this gingerly? I have no idea who I would even email. One of my bosses has recommended it but he went to a funded program straight from the same undergrad so I don’t think he actually had to.

On 3/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, Mirahgz said:

I'm in the exact same situation. I submitted my scholarship form for SVA fine arts mfa but the impending SAIC deadline with guaranteed funding attached is tempting.  I have an offer from RISD as well with some funding but not quite as much as SAIC. It's frustrating to have to decide before all the information is clear but maybe it's just an early bird gets the worm situation for SAIC. Have you done any more thinking on the matter?  

Well SAIC gave me 90% funding, so it was really easy for me to decide. Plus SAIC was always one of my top choices, I really loved the school when I visited and my interactions with faculty/staff were great. Other schools, either facilities were not as nice, faculty/staff interaction bad or else. So it was really easy for me. But of course, this is a highly personal process but I think there are some overarching criteria if your goal is to be a practicing artist: (not ordered by importance)

1. How will going to this program help advance me as an artist, help me advance my work? 

2 .How will going to this program establish connections, improve my chances of being of full-time career artist? 

3. $$$ How many arms and legs will I have to sell to afford it? 

Best of luck to you. Personally I heavily recommend looking at alumni and current MFA student work...

Edited by Makerak

3 hours ago, fayfay said:

Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance too. I applied for 2 years for all of them. I know.. I am so interested in RISD and Calarts but I am a little worried about how there might be less opportunities than in big cities like New York. Also, During my interview at Calarts, the faculties were suggesting most of us to take the 3 years because apparently the program is super competitive and everyone is so talented and it would be hard to keep up with them if we directly jump into the 2- year program. And devoting more time means more tuition as well. But I defiantly know how amazing the school is and how they really focus on some experimental and conceptual design, which I am also super interested in. What a struggle... Can't choose between Calarts and SVA. Hey, if you were me, what would you choose? Good luck too!!

Hey, I applied for MFA Graphic Design programs too! So far:

RISD-??

SVA- Accepted

MICA- Accepted with $28,000 scholarship

Pratt- Accepted

Art Center- Accepted

SAIC- Accepted

Calarts- Interviewed, waiting for result

Can't decide between MICA and SVA right now...... I'm more practical but really concern about the cost in NYC

Edited by dewymor

28 minutes ago, dewymor said:

Hey, I applied for MFA Graphic Design programs too! So far:

RISD-??

SVA- Accepted

MICA- Accepted with $28,000 scholarship

Pratt- Accepted

Art Center- Accepted

SAIC- Accepted

Calarts- Interviewed, waiting for result

Can't decide between MICA and SVA right now...... I'm more practical but really concern about the cost in NYC

Hey, our situation is so similar! Congrats on your acceptance!! We might even have met at Calarts lolll

I am actually leaning more towards SVA, if I am choosing between SVA and MICA. Cuz right now I live in New York and there are so many great opportunities!! The only thing is that the school itself might be very commercial (Not necessarily a bag thing tho, it helps you to earn more after graduation) and small. Anyway, I am actually planning to go to MICA's visit day on April 7th. Are you planning to go as well?

Btw, How did you like Calarts? I actually like it a lot but the location wasn't so great...there might be less opportunities.

4 hours ago, fayfay said:

Of course. Good luck with everything. Both are great schools, so it's gonna be amazing no matter which one you end up at. I think personally the environment of Calarts seems way more chill, in the sense that LA is more laidback than New York. Also this is just a personal factor but I love how the school is so closely connected with Disney. I think that says a lot about the people you're going to meet and hangout with. Personally, New York City felt oversaturated with temptations and just super intense in every way. It's definitely the center of arts and culture but also the price you pay (financially and mentally) is high. 

24 minutes ago, fayfay said:

Hey, our situation is so similar! Congrats on your acceptance!! We might even have met at Calarts lolll

I am actually leaning more towards SVA, if I am choosing between SVA and MICA. Cuz right now I live in New York and there are so many great opportunities!! The only thing is that the school itself might be very commercial (Not necessarily a bag thing tho, it helps you to earn more after graduation) and small. Anyway, I am actually planning to go to MICA's visit day on April 7th. Are you planning to go as well?

Btw, How did you like Calarts? I actually like it a lot but the location wasn't so great...there might be less opportunities.

Thank you!! Congrats on your acceptance too!!

Yes I'll go to MICA's visit day on Apr 7th and visit SVA on 6th! See you there:D

I like Calarts! But they'll probably consider me for the 3-year track as I don't have a GD background. In that case I won't consider Calarts....

5 hours ago, fayfay said:

I've been looking at the acceptance result page on this forum, it seems like no graphic design applicant (that's been recorded) has got an acceptance to RSID since 2013/14. Mostly just rejection around the end of March or beginning of April:unsure:... I'm ready for DAT REJECTION hahahaha

1 hour ago, ipaintandipout said:

Has anyone heard from Georgia State for drawing and painting? I know someone who has an interview scheduled for graphic design, but don't know if different concentrations in the art department might be on different schedules.

I also applied to Georgia State for drawing/painting. I have heard nothing. Different concentrations meet separately, so they all have different timetables. In the forum here I read about one acceptance for ceramics (newman Feb 26th) and a reply that they intend to get the word out by the 15th. So, basically anytime between tomorrow and April 15th. I'm hoping for this week.