MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On 3/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, stupidpainter said:

Anyone have personal opinions/experience regarding Tyler's MFA Painting program? I was accepted, however I am on the waitlist for another program and would like to have more time incase I am admitted before I make a decision. Tyler is asking for a decision by March 23rd, and I've been told the waitlist for this program may go on until the end of April. 

I just wanted to make sure that you knew about the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) Resolution - it states that the CGS member schools CANNOT require an applicant to give a decision before April 15th if they are being offered financial aid (scholarships), and Temple is a member of CGS, so if you were offered a scholarship of any kind, you should have until April 15th to decide....

http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

2 hours ago, paint_and_destroy said:

Any of you writing thank you noted to interviewers?  I've asked around, but I only have connections to other fields (not art) and many have said that this is slimy/corporate behavior and not necessarily fit for an academic institutions.   That said, I have this nagging feeling like I am missing something!  

It never hurts to write a thank you. It says I appreciate you and your time as well as the opportunity. I always assumed you should send one after an interview visit ect. It might not be necessary but its nice. 

10 minutes ago, SCSCH said:

It never hurts to write a thank you. It says I appreciate you and your time as well as the opportunity. I always assumed you should send one after an interview visit ect. It might not be necessary but its nice. 

Yeah! I don't really know why it would be slimy? It's just cordial! I followed up with my interviewer with just a simple "Thank you for the interview,  I'm very interested in the program and am looking forward to hearing back from ___ soon.

Best

____"

Edited by TinaSlay

Hi all, 

I was informed last Friday that I've been waitlisted at the RISD photography program. Honestly happy to be considered; it's one of my top choices. I was wondering if it's appropriate to contact the program to say thank you, and to let them know I'm excited/interested. If so, which position in the dept. should I contact? 

I've already decided on going to MICA officially since it's a great program and was one of my top choices, but I still am curious about VCU's ghosting. I've not gotten a rejection or an interview request. Have people applying for photo there heard anything? I'm assuming I'm a reject and just haven't been notified.

20 hours ago, apollonia666 said:

Hi! Anyone driving to Providence for RISD interviews, leaving tuesday afternoon or evening from nyc? Looking to join! Long shot maybe, but let me know :) 

Hi, apollonia666, RISD is expecting a snow day tomorrow, and all class is canceled. I am not too sure about interviews, maybe you should contact your department to make sure everything goes on smoothly. I went to RISD as a undergraduate, and trust me, snow in Providence is the worst. 

I applied for MFA Graphic Design programs. Anyone with me? Did anyone receive interview request from RISD for GD program? I emailed RISD and they say the result will be out on March 24th but I still haven't heard from them about the interview... Is there still a hope??:unsure:

RISD-??? (losing hope)

Yale- Rejected

SVA- Accepted!!

MICA- Accepted

Pratt- Accepted! with $30,000 scholarship

Art Center- Accepted

Calarts- Interviewed, waiting for result

Also, Guys, any suggestions on choosing between these schools??  Thanks in advance!!

On 3/11/2018 at 11:14 AM, charoarte said:

HOw was your hunter interview ?? I interviewed too

It went well, even though I was a few minutes late (I'm an idiot). The conversation flowed and it was actually really helpful to have the work out on the table, even in print-out form lol

7 hours ago, thirdtimesthecharm said:

Exactly! It felt like you would definitely need to be motivated and confident in sustaining your own practice and not dependent on faculty/critics. I was actually so surprised by what a lot of students were saying that I completely forgot to ask about critiques! Did anyone else get a sense of what they are like? There are so many students in the program...does everyone attend and how often do they take place? 

I did ask about how often you can get people into your studio---my interviewers said faculty is around 6-9 times a semester and I think visiting artists are sign-up? They did emphasize that if you want face-time with anyone don't be afraid to reach out. If you look at the example curriculum the Tutorial credits are one-on-one with a professor so that's more often...I'm probably going to ask more specific questions if I get in.

It might be helpful to understand the history of Hunter as more of a DIY program---partially why it's cheap. Artists used to stay in the program like...indefinitely because it was such a good deal for the studio space (when it was in the Hell's Kitchen space). https://www.artandeducation.net/schoolwatch/57989/re-skilling-and-rehousing-an-mfa-hunter-s-recent-transformation

I got good vibes from the fall Open House, but it's true that in a big program (even a competitive one) you're going to get some apathetic/stubborn/distracted people. Honestly cohort seems like a roll of the dice wherever you go...

hope that's helpful~

Received a phone call from Pratt today (only three days after the interview!). Accepted with about a half-ride. I'm a little unclear about the exact tuition amount, as Pratt's site is a little hard to navigate, but the offer is about half from what I can tell.

I think this is probably where I will end up (if I can swing it), as it sounds perfect for me. The interview went really well and the faculty that interviewed were personable and enthusiastic. I want to start integrating 3D Printing/Scanning/Photogrammetry into my work, and they encourage you to take courses on this stuff while you're there. 

My RISD interview is tomorrow, which I hope goes as well as Pratt's. Ended up having to cancel my trip to Providence due to the weather, so I'm doing it via Skype.

When I'm done with all of this, I'm going to post a list of interview questions I found from a post on here a few years back and add some other questions I was asked through this process.

Edited by AngryHarold

I honestly had an amazing interview (though short) they didn’t ask too much and I just felt great talking about my work. I also feel like I would really fit into the program I loved the atmosphere, and the laid back aspect really relaxed me during open studios .. I was kinda freaking out before hand!!! Idk about funding.. I just found out I got free tuition and a 30,000/year stipend award for university of Delaware it’s insane.....  too many options now.. though hunter seems to be n 1... I was told that half or a quarter of interviewers get in so that’s a little scary 

at at the same time I’m very self driven, the studio space at hunter is beautiful! And working with such great faculty who are actually working artists is great.  We are artist,  most of the teaching we do it ourselves you know?  

I did smell weed in some studios and vomit in the girls bathroom open studio night but it’s kinda hilarious ? definitely my fit .. it’s important to have fun 

Edited by charoarte

Today: was rejected from U Michigan (I emailed for an answer after weeks of silence; they said they sent out offers last week); I accepted U Iowa and the Iowa Arts Fellowship for Film. You win some, you lose some. For me, it's 2a/0w/1r out of 3. This is my last post on here, good luck to everyone and thanks for keeping me company during the past few months!

Since so many have already received an acceptance from UPenn I'm not expecting much from tomorrow's results.. 
Barring that, is there anyone who's heard from MIT?

I also noticed that that virtually no one applied to Ruskin, is it a bad school or something else that'll help me gain clarity?

I haven’t heard anything from Columbia painting. I called and was told that someone would call me back but they didn’t. I know that some people have been invited to interview. Should I just assume that I’ve been rejected? I don’t think that I missed an email..

3 hours ago, AngryHarold said:

Received a phone call from Pratt today (only three days after the interview!). Accepted with about a half-ride. I'm a little unclear about the exact tuition amount, as Pratt's site is a little hard to navigate, but the offer is about half from what I can tell.

I think this is probably where I will end up (if I can swing it), as it sounds perfect for me. The interview went really well and the faculty that interviewed were personable and enthusiastic. I want to start integrating 3D Printing/Scanning/Photogrammetry into my work, and they encourage you to take courses on this stuff while you're there. 

My RISD interview is tomorrow, which I hope goes as well as Pratt's. Ended up having to cancel my trip to Providence due to the weather, so I'm doing it via Skype.

When I'm done with all of this, I'm going to post a list of interview questions I found from a post on here a few years back and add some other questions I was asked through this process.

Congratulations!  I interviewed with Pratt today and think it went well.  Hoping for a similar offer.

So excited to hear they got back to you with an acceptance offer so quickly, can't wait for the pain of waiting to be finally over!

Hey y'all! 

For the people who interviewed at NYU, did you ask when you'd hear about acceptances. My interview went really well but we talked so much about the work we kinda ran out of time so I didn't have much time to ask questions haha. 

1 hour ago, VitaminPme said:

Congratulations!  I interviewed with Pratt today and think it went well.  Hoping for a similar offer.

So excited to hear they got back to you with an acceptance offer so quickly, can't wait for the pain of waiting to be finally over!

I have an interview with them on Wednesday, so hopefully I get to hear back from them as quickly as you all