MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

1 hour ago, VitaminPme said:

Sweet relief!  Pratt just called me with an acceptance offer and a 20,000 merit scholarship!

There's still hope for other people who are waiting!

Hi VitaminPme, do you mind share your interview date? I am still waiting to hear from Pratt.  T.T

38 minutes ago, Basil101 said:

Hi VitaminPme, do you mind share your interview date? I am still waiting to hear from Pratt.  T.T

Of course, I interviewed on March 12th.  Good luck to you!

On 3/23/2018 at 1:14 PM, andreabengeart said:

Yayyyyyy, got into George Mason and American this morning!! B) Pretty sure I'm going to go to GMU, even though it's a smaller program. I liked the diversity of the faculty and really clicked with the painting professor, felt a good connection and liked what she thought about my work. Plus facilities are amazing, and logistically it's closest. Not sure on funding yet, but at any rate it'll be the cheapest of any I've been accepted to plus GTAs and GPAs are available.

So updated:

GMU: Accepted

American: Accepted

MICA MFAST: Accepted with 28k scholarship (7k/year = 1/3 tuition covered per year) 

GWU: Rejected, boo

VCU: Still haven't heard...

AYYY Congrats on getting into GMU. Super excited to hear that you got in there and representing my alma mater. I'm pretty sure I'll run into you there since I'm still kinda connected to the school.

16 hours ago, lowkeydead said:

I GOT ACCEPTED TO ICP-BARD MFA PROGRAM WITH 15K SCHOLARSHIP!!!

anyone here who's in too and taking it up !!! pls reply, i have a lot of questions haha

Congrats! I got an offer from icp-bard MFA with 5k fellowship last week.

27 minutes ago, AngryHarold said:

congrats! are you thinking of going? 

Thanks! I would like to, but I was hoping for a higher scholarship offer.  My prof is an alumnus of the program, I might ask her what she thinks about asking for a better offer...  I think she mentioned that was a possibility.  You're going, right?

Edited by VitaminPme

5 minutes ago, VitaminPme said:

Thanks! I would like to, but I was hoping for a higher scholarship offer.  My prof is an alumnus of the program, I might ask her what she thinks about asking for a better offer...  I think she mentioned that was a possibility.  You're going, right?

i probably will. my biggest concern is finding a place to live beforehand and living expenses. logistical stuff. i think if i manage to get accepted off of RISD's waitlist i'm going to have to really think hard about going to Pratt. if RISD offers me any money whatsoever it'll end up being a lot easier for me financially, considering how cheap it is to live in Providence. guess we'll wait and see. 

i might end up seeing you there! keep me posted.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:19 AM, wendi said:

So, uh, idk what anyone else is talking about but Columbia College is well known for their Photography program in particular.  Dawoud Bey is the head of their department right now, IIRC? Also, personally, I think choosing CC looks a little more "with it" on a resume; like everybody knows RISD is good, but Columbia College looks special.  Going to a lesser-known yet known-for-being-fantastic program vs. one everybody applies to by default?  I'm not sure if I'm making sense, and maybe this doesn't matter to anybody else.

As a photographer I'd have no reservations choosing Columbia College here, personally.  I think, however, RISD leans toward a very technological direction and has been doing this techie/green/science slant lately so if that's what you do then you're going to get a lot of great support to do that.

Fellow photographer here- I would 100% choose Columbia. They have a fantastic photo program and IT"S FREE!! Who can say no to that!?

On 3/24/2018 at 1:17 PM, Sylvieee said:

Could you all share the programs you know about that offer a full tuition scholarship + stipend? Looking for next year. Thanks!

UAlbany- it is a state school in NY with a small interdisciplinary program. They offer 40% tuition discount and a stipend that covers the rest of tuition with a little left over. It isn't a well known art school but if you want a Masters degree for free you can get it here. 

30 minutes ago, jailcowboy said:

Anyone know the likelihood of getting into Yale and a year after getting interviewed but rejected the first year?

I also had an interview this year and didn't get in, first time I applied. I've been applying and been getting accepted into other MFA programs, but I've been thinking whether to just keep working on my own in my studio for one more year, and reapply next year again. Are you thinking that too?

Edited by ni33th

25 minutes ago, ni33th said:

I also had an interview this year and didn't get in, first time I applied. I've been applying and been getting accepted into other MFA programs, but I've been thinking whether to just keep working on my own in my studio for one more year, and reapply next year again. Are you thinking that too?

Yes, likely so! I have also been waitlisted at SAIC and RISD and both notified me I was pretty high on the lists. However, reapplication is only 9 months away, and Yale has better funding anyways. When its time its time I suppose.

22 minutes ago, jailcowboy said:

Yes, likely so! I have also been waitlisted at SAIC and RISD and both notified me I was pretty high on the lists. However, reapplication is only 9 months away, and Yale has better funding anyways. When its time its time I suppose.

9 months away... haha, when you put it that way, yup, it makes me feel like I should wait and reapply next year to try to get another shot at my first choice. 

I also got into CalArts with 12k grant, but it's still very expensive for me to go there... 

What is the funding from Yale usually like?

2 hours ago, jasminezhang said:

I'm going to have a Skype interview from MassArt on March. 28.

Anyone has already taken the interview from MassArt?

I interviewed at MassArt for painting about a month ago - Skype, panel style. Just got accepted, but I'm declining to go to Syracuse. Good luck!

3 hours ago, jailcowboy said:

VCU Painting, anyone heard? 

NO. It's the one school I might consider over Syracuse, now that I've heard from almost everyone. Driving me nuts!!

On 3/23/2018 at 10:48 AM, chaosforte said:

Hey, sorry to tag this one, I can't find your later post. I see from your signature that you were accepted! Congrats. Did you hear about funding? My interview is next week.

Yes. $2000 stipend for grad thesis show. Nothing else but tuition is very low.

2 hours ago, AngryHarold said:

i probably will. my biggest concern is finding a place to live beforehand and living expenses. logistical stuff. i think if i manage to get accepted off of RISD's waitlist i'm going to have to really think hard about going to Pratt. if RISD offers me any money whatsoever it'll end up being a lot easier for me financially, considering how cheap it is to live in Providence. guess we'll wait and see. 

i might end up seeing you there! keep me posted.

I'm sure either school would be a great experience, so if RISD ends up being more affordable, sounds like you should go for it!

Let us know what happens!