Hi guys!

I have just been accepted to the MGA program off the waitlist!! I am still deciding between UoT, UCSD School of Global Policy and Strategy and Johns Hopkins SAIS. Considering that I am an international student, do you think I would have more opportunities to find an employment in Canada than in the USA? I would like to work in the consulting/financial/economic sectors and I know that SAIS has a lot of connections in that field. I do not know so much about Munk.

Thanks

Edited by Fabri89

I can't comment about UCSD or John Hopkins, but the MGA is located in Toronto, which has a significant amount of opportunities in consulting or finance. Additionally, I'd suggest looking at the MGA/MBA Joint Degree; it's an extra year, but you get an MBA as well, which is big for finance or consulting.

10 hours ago, Fabri89 said:

Hi guys!

I have just been accepted to the MGA program off the waitlist!! I am still deciding between UoT, UCSD School of Global Policy and Strategy and Johns Hopkins SAIS. Considering that I am an international student, do you think I would have more opportunities to find an employment in Canada than in the USA? I would like to work in the consulting/financial/economic sectors and I know that SAIS has a lot of connections in that field. I do not know so much about Munk.

Thanks

hello @Fabri89 

Congratulations! I will also be attending Munk this fall. I am an international student as well, from the US. Where are you coming from? 

On 18/4/2018 at 9:53 PM, Kaspara said:

I can't comment about UCSD or John Hopkins, but the MGA is located in Toronto, which has a significant amount of opportunities in consulting or finance. Additionally, I'd suggest looking at the MGA/MBA Joint Degree; it's an extra year, but you get an MBA as well, which is big for finance or consulting.

Yeah I read about the MGA/MBA dual degree opportunity on Munk's website. It would be a good idea if it didn't cost so much. The problem is that I would to pay the Munk's tuition for the first year ($36,000) and the Rotman's tuition for the last two years ($109,960). This means that at the end I would have to pay a total tuition fee of $145,000. Way more that some of the most expensive american IR school's, like SAIS or SIPA. It is important to bear in mind also that  Rotman's MBA is not even amongst the top 20 MBA school in the world according to basically all rankings (Qs, FT, etc.)

On 19/4/2018 at 1:16 AM, limbsun said:

hello @Fabri89 

Congratulations! I will also be attending Munk this fall. I am an international student as well, from the US. Where are you coming from? 

Hello Limbsun!

Nice to hear someone who will attend the MGA program this fall!Congratulations to you too. I come from Italy!  Is it ok for you to chat a little bit about the school in PM? I would like to exchange some opinions with you about the school and ask you some info!

• 7 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I'm applying to the MGA for entry in 2019 and figured I'd start looking around forums to get an idea of the applicant pool form previous years as well as how to shape a well rounded, competitive application (if anyone can offer tips of any sort on the same I'd really appreciate it?)

As for me, I'm currently completing my 4th year of my undergraduate degree at the Schulich School of Business in their iBBA (International Bachelor's of Business Admin.) program. I speak 4 languages, studied in Quebec over the summer in my 1st year as part of a Government of Canada run program, completed a pre-MBA program at an Ivey League school in the states and will be going on an exchange in Europe this upcoming semester. In terms of my professional experience, I've worked as an intern at Shopify, an intern at a pharmaceutical startup specializing in medical cannabis, as well as a translator with the UN and an intern at Doctors Without Borders. Academically, my stats aren't the most amazing, my cGPA is a 3.4 and I won't know my final year GPA until July or even August most likely as my exchange school would process and send my grades to Munk around then. My 3 references are all from professors I've had; one of them is a visiting lecturer at my school and another is a co-director of a dual degree program at the postgraduate level. 

Based on that, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to my chances on getting accepted?? I would really appreciate pure, blatant honesty. Also, the one thing that I am worrying about is the supplementary part of the application this year. The first part is the standard written portion asking why you want to attend Munk while the other question asks that you address a current global affairs topic and discuss it. Although they may sound simple, as a business major, peculiarly enough, you don't really write that many formal essays over the course of your degree as much as you come up with balance sheets and stock pitch portfolios? and so this proves a bit daunting for me as I want to be sure that I showcase myself in the best light and demonstrate all that I have to offer to my fullest potential though my written responses. So does anyone have any tips on what to talk about in the personal statement and any advice they can share from their experience from writing it?

This year, Munk has decided to add a video interview component (yay?) to the application. It involves answering 1 question related to global affairs that you have 3 minutes to deliver and 5 minutes to prepare for. I believe you're allowed 3 or 4 practise runs of random questions beforehand to get into the swing of things but since this is a brand new component, I know many of you would probably not know much about this, but again, absolutely any tips, advice, or insight would be highly appreciated :) 

Thanks again!!

• 2 months later...