5 minutes ago, Aishab said:

what did the waitlist email say? 

"This message is to notifying you that your application to the Master of Global Affairs program for entry fall 2018 has been placed on the waitlist. Please note that your position on the waitlist is not the same as an offer of admission.  The MGA has admitted a maximum number of applicants for this fall and should a spot open up between now and September, applicants on the waitlist will be considered for it. Being offered a spot in the program will depend on how many applicants accept our offer of admission. Please note there is no ranking on the waitlist. All applicants on the waitlist will be assessed for a place in the program should one open up. In the past, we have admitted students off the waitlist as late as the end of August. 

You will only be notified if we want to offer you a spot in the program. If you are not admitted to the program for this fall, we encourage you to re-apply next year.

If you would like your name removed from the waitlist at any time please let us know."

14 minutes ago, aaaaaav said:

eff got mine as well. 

Yeah and the lamest part is that from previous threads (2017, 2016) about Munk admissions, people on the waitlist still hadn't heard back by June/July. From what it sounded like, not a lot of people moved off the waitlist. 

Let's keep our fingers crossed though...

6 minutes ago, lily22 said:

I wish I had applied to other schools now. I was pretty much banking on Munk. Congrats on NPSIA! 

I am going to keep my name on the list just in case I change my mind. However, I think this may be a sign that Ottawa is calling my name ?. Congrats to everyone that got in and the very best of luck to those still waiting on a response! ☺

Edited by sunshine18

Happily.

So my application is probably different than the rest since I've been out of school for a few years and because I'm likely applying to the MBA/MGA dual degree program. Since then I've been working in finance, which is what my undergrad is in. In terms of school, I graduated cum laude, did a semester abroad in my last year, and was heavily involved in clubs and volunteering while there. For my (first) statement, I chose to write about international trade disputes with the US.

Edited by 2ab

@lily22 I'll shoot you a PM later today. If anyone else is interested in knowing my stats, feel free to PM me. 

Anyone know how many people applied this year? Given that acceptances started way back in mid-February and the class filled up by mid-March, I feel as though they recieved an abnormally large number of applicantions. 

I got in with no funding.

BA in Tourism Management, MA in Intercultural Communication, both from Chinese universities. My undergraduate GPA was really shitty ( 65), though my graduate grades improved significantly( 85, which would be B+?) I thought my low undergraduate grades would seriously hurt my chances, so I emailed Megan and the MGA program director last summer to explain my situation. Both told me they’d give more weight to my graduate GPA and work experience because I’d been out of school for some years. 

So future applicants, take notice! If you have poor scores, don’t get discouraged! Do apply if other components of your application can shine through! But bear in mind that poor academic performance means you may end up paying full tuition fees.

Where I was trailing behind others, I tried to make it up with my professional experience. In my personal statement, I talked about my job as a researcher&writer focusing on China for the past six years. ( Two years with the Financial Times, currently with the New York Times). I am very interested in exploring the economic and political impact of China’s global ascendance as Trump’s America turns inward, a theme I also repeated in my global affairs essay. In it, I talked about Trudeau’s botched attempt to launch the free trade negotiation with China and how Canadian policy markers can address some contentious issues through legal tools and a better understanding of China’s unique policymaking apparatus.

As for the recommendation letters, one of my referees is a renowned China scholar at the Brookings, the other NYT’s Asia business editor.

Still waiting to hear back from UBC’s MPPGA program.  

Best of luck to everyone! 

Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance email thus far, and to those who were waitlisted/rejected, it seems as though you all have great opportunities to pursue outside of Munk. Truly hoping the best for everyone! 

I'm just posting with the hope that I can calm some nerves. I have not yet received an official acceptance email, even though I know that I have been accepted to the program via acorn (the 'invited' notice appeared over the weekend). It may very well be the case that data input has been speedier for some applications, as was in my case, for whatever reason. 

My point is, I am certain that acceptances are coming in on a rolling basis throughout the week. To those who have not heard anything yet, hang tight! This does not mean you were rejected! 

25 minutes ago, trane262 said:

Rejected this morning.  Not feeling too bad as my main goal was to get into law school (and I received my first acceptance last week).  The combined degree would have been a lot of fun, but not to be.  Congrats to all selected!   

Congrats on the law school acceptance! That's a big accomplishment itself!

48 minutes ago, newsjunkiechina said:

I got in with no funding.

BA in Tourism Management, MA in Intercultural Communication, both from Chinese universities. My undergraduate GPA was really shitty ( 65), though my graduate grades improved significantly( 85, which would be B+?) I thought my low undergraduate grades would seriously hurt my chances, so I emailed Megan and the MGA program director last summer to explain my situation. Both told me they’d give more weight to my graduate GPA and work experience because I’d been out of school for some years. 

So future applicants, take notice! If you have poor scores, don’t get discouraged! Do apply if other components of your application can shine through! But bear in mind that poor academic performance means you may end up paying full tuition fees.

Where I was trailing behind others, I tried to make it up with my professional experience. In my personal statement, I talked about my job as a researcher&writer focusing on China for the past six years. ( Two years with the Financial Times, currently with the New York Times). I am very interested in exploring the economic and political impact of China’s global ascendance as Trump’s America turns inward, a theme I also repeated in my global affairs essay. In it, I talked about Trudeau’s botched attempt to launch the free trade negotiation with China and how Canadian policy markers can address some contentious issues through legal tools and a better understanding of China’s unique policymaking apparatus.

As for the recommendation letters, one of my referees is a renowned China scholar at the Brookings, the other NYT’s Asia business editor.

Still waiting to hear back from UBC’s MPPGA program.  

Best of luck to everyone! 

Hey - I talked about the free trade negotiation with China in my essay as well!

4 hours ago, spadeofhearts said:

Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance email thus far, and to those who were waitlisted/rejected, it seems as though you all have great opportunities to pursue outside of Munk. Truly hoping the best for everyone! 

I'm just posting with the hope that I can calm some nerves. I have not yet received an official acceptance email, even though I know that I have been accepted to the program via acorn (the 'invited' notice appeared over the weekend). It may very well be the case that data input has been speedier for some applications, as was in my case, for whatever reason. 

My point is, I am certain that acceptances are coming in on a rolling basis throughout the week. To those who have not heard anything yet, hang tight! This does not mean you were rejected! 

Unfortunately I think everyone who got in received their letter yesterday or had their sgs/acorn updated. The woman at Munk admissions said that all the spots have been filled. :( 

Edited by lily22

On 3/12/2018 at 6:07 PM, newsjunkiechina said:

I got my acceptance letter a few hours ago. One of the attached documents has this line: " If you have been offered a scholarship, you will find a funding letter attached below." I have not seen such a letter, so I'm assuming there is no funding? Two past MGA students told me the funding details came with the official acceptance letter, which seems to be an experience shared by an applicant from this year who heard back in Feb? 

I'm an applicant from China btw. 

Hi, congrats on getting accepted! Yes, I got my funding package along with my acceptance in February however, I also read a few posts from previous years which stated that they got their funding later. Maybe if some students who are offered funding reject their offer of admission the funding is then distributed to other students? That is the best explanation I can think of!

46 minutes ago, hannah96 said:

Hi, congrats on getting accepted! Yes, I got my funding package along with my acceptance in February however, I also read a few posts from previous years which stated that they got their funding later. Maybe if some students who are offered funding reject their offer of admission the funding is then distributed to other students? That is the best explanation I can think of!

Thank you Hannah!

I got in with a 3.5 range CGPA, 3.9 range final year GPA, and no experience in the field (thanks to having to wage work all through undergrad). Strong references, solid relevant extra curriculars and a good written portion probably helped me out though.