2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

Not entirely sure where this belongs...I got an interview to Berkeley Vision today! I was transferred from Berkeley neuroscience to vision a couple weeks ago because they thought I was a better fit with that program. I very nearly applied to Vision in the first place, so I’m happy either way.

Also not sure how you guys are doing those signatures with the colors, but so far:

Interviews (6/9) Stanford neuroscience, Berkeley Vision, Caltech CNS, UCSD neuroscience, CMU (declined), UW neuroscience (declined due to conflict)

Rejected (2/9) : MIT (not official yet), Columbia (official). Not surprised by Columbia because I didn’t give that application the time it deserved. Disappointed about MIT.

Unknown (1/9): McGill IPN

Anyone else applying to McGill have some information about when they do interviews? 

11 hours ago, vitamin said:

Does anyone know when Harvard PiN and MIT BCS do their interviews? I know that I was rejected because I didn't get an email, but I just wonder if there is any hope left.

From my understanding they have a short list to contact if someone declines an interview. This is pretty much your only chance at this point for those programs, so I wouldn’t get hopes too high (especially because I can’t imagine anyone declining those programs interviews). Sorry :/

11 hours ago, vitamin said:

Does anyone know when Harvard PiN and MIT BCS do their interviews? I know that I was rejected because I didn't get an email, but I just wonder if there is any hope left.

45 minutes ago, Baller123 said:

From my understanding they have a short list to contact if someone declines an interview. This is pretty much your only chance at this point for those programs, so I wouldn’t get hopes too high (especially because I can’t imagine anyone declining those programs interviews). Sorry :/

Unfortunately the Harvard PiN interview is currently happening:  http://www.hms.harvard.edu/dms/neuroscience/news/index.html

16 hours ago, Baller123 said:

Rejected (2/9) : MIT (not official yet), Columbia (official). Not surprised by Columbia because I didn’t give that application the time it deserved. Disappointed about MIT.

Baller123, can you explain what you mean by "didn't give the application the time it deserved"? I applied to 11 programs, and -most- of the applications were basically the same. Some, like Stanford, did have substantial additional question prompts (I'd be hard-pressed to call them essays). I did not apply to Columbia, so I can't comment on that one specifically.

However, I'm just curious about the time and energy you put into each individual application -ignoring the time to paste in your history and the duplicated part of your SoP.

@BobDole Columbia was odd that they had a really short SOP. My SOP template that I used for all my applications was about twice as long. I didn’t realize this early because I added Columbia at the last minute, and basically cut sentences from original SOP which completely butchered the flow of the essay. If I had to redo it, I probably would have rewritten it completely with a focus on only one of my research experiences rather than trying to cram both into a shorter essay.

For the rest of the programs, after I had written my basic template I spent probably an hour researching the faculty and modifying a short fit paragraph based on that. (I know that some people don’t like fit paragraphs, but it seemed to work for me.)

Okay. That sounds similar to the workflow that I did. I can't imagine not having at least a few sentences that calls out why you think the program is a good fit (and which POIs specifically). But it is interesting how much the advice for this whole process is all over the place. Fortunately, two of my references are on selection committees for their respective universities, so I was able to get insider tips that I had a lot more confidence in.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:22 PM, jasbee said:

Just to double check - did UPenn say they were done sending out all invites? I've been assuming they were done, but it would be nice to know for sure. 

Sorry for the late response! I'm not entirely sure. Not sure if the person I spoke to meant that they reviewed all the applications? She was vague...I just know that they reviewed my application and it was rejected :( Sorry I don't have a more helpful response! 

On 1/18/2018 at 1:46 PM, neuronerd1 said:

Have you gotten an official email from them yet? I still haven't heard anything back from Stanford and I know they were letting people know late last week (albeit informally). Have they followed up phone calls with official emails from the program or are you guys still waiting for that?

Ya, I also got my email on the 16th like @Baller123

8 minutes ago, balonisandwich36 said:

Penn NGG is definitely finished with invites. the first interview session was early january and the second session is very soon. 

@NeuroKat111  BU GPN ? Did you receive an email or phone call?

Yup! I got an email, although it seems by the results that no one has received it yet. I think they may be doing it in batches. 

On 1/19/2018 at 9:24 PM, Baller123 said:

Not entirely sure where this belongs...I got an interview to Berkeley Vision today! I was transferred from Berkeley neuroscience to vision a couple weeks ago because they thought I was a better fit with that program. I very nearly applied to Vision in the first place, so I’m happy either way.

Also not sure how you guys are doing those signatures with the colors, but so far:

Interviews (6/9) Stanford neuroscience, Berkeley Vision, Caltech CNS, UCSD neuroscience, CMU (declined), UW neuroscience (declined due to conflict)

Unknown (1/9): McGill IPN

Anyone else applying to McGill have some information about when they do interviews? 

Baller123, just got an interview invite to McGill IPN rotation program via email on Monday, but you probably would have seen it through the results page anyway. Congrats on all your interview invites! 

36 minutes ago, ADresearchHopeful said:

Do you know if they send them in batches or all at once?

I don't know for sure, but it seems like it judging by the results page. In any case, they're hosting the interview Feb 26-27 so there's still time for them to send more invites

On 1/24/2018 at 7:20 PM, nr2b said:

Baller123, just got an interview invite to McGill IPN rotation program via email on Monday, but you probably would have seen it through the results page anyway. Congrats on all your interview invites! 

Awesome! Congratulations to you as well!

6 hours ago, prettywings said:

Still haven't heard from Caltech, UC Berkeley and UCLA and feeling pretty concerned right now....is all hope lost at this point?? :( 

Unfortunately, it seems that all of those schools are finished sending invites.