2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

Hello!! has anyone heard from the IMP program of Emory University? Had submitted application in October. Still not heard anything. I even mailed them to ask but got no reply. Neither do i see any updates from anyone on this site. Anyone has any idea what they are upto??

Hey everyone! I just had my first in-person interview weekend and (I think) it went really well. Had really great interviews - hit it off with a few faculty whose interests are right up my alley and who said they hoped to see me in the fall. I would be over the moon to be accepted at this program and now I'm extremely nervous! They said we should hear in 2 weeks by the latest, but from the admissions statistics they gave us it seems like I have an okay chance. 

I want to send follow-up/thank you emails to the faculty I interviewed with, as well as a couple I communicated with along the way.  Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to say? Can I reiterate my interest, or is that too much? I also wasn't sure when to email, as I just saw some of them as recently as today. Was thinking tomorrow or Monday? But I didn't want to bother anyone after a busy weekend. 

Cheers!!!

On 1/27/2018 at 3:00 PM, synapticcat said:

Hey everyone! I just had my first in-person interview weekend and (I think) it went really well. Had really great interviews - hit it off with a few faculty whose interests are right up my alley and who said they hoped to see me in the fall. I would be over the moon to be accepted at this program and now I'm extremely nervous! They said we should hear in 2 weeks by the latest, but from the admissions statistics they gave us it seems like I have an okay chance. 

I want to send follow-up/thank you emails to the faculty I interviewed with, as well as a couple I communicated with along the way.  Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to say? Can I reiterate my interest, or is that too much? I also wasn't sure when to email, as I just saw some of them as recently as today. Was thinking tomorrow or Monday? But I didn't want to bother anyone after a busy weekend. 

Cheers!!!

I have been sending my emails the following day, or two days at the latest. Most of my interviews have been ending on a Saturday morning, and I've been sending thank you's Sunday night (before they get slammed with Monday morning emails). They usually respond and have always seemed pleased to receive a follow-up. I've just been saying thanks, not reiterating my interest or anything about myself (I think that might be too much, especially after a busy weekend of nothing but). Just thanking them for their time, support, and answering my questions. I'd definitely send them though!

3 minutes ago, SLEEEEEEEEP said:

I have been sending my emails the following day, or two days at the latest. Most of my interviews have been ending on a Saturday morning, and I've been sending thank you's Sunday night (before they get slammed with Monday morning emails). They usually respond and have always seemed pleased to receive a follow-up. I've just been saying thanks, not reiterating my interest or anything about myself (I think that might be too much, especially after a busy weekend of nothing but). Just thanking them for their time, support, and answering my questions. I'd definitely send them though!

Thanks for the response and advice! :D I sent out some nice emails yesterday afternoon and got very nice, positive and prompt replies from 4 of them, so far. Two actually specifically replied saying they thought I would be a great addition to their program and that they hoped to see me in the fall. So I'm very happy I went ahead and decided to send them! Of course now I'll still be frantically checking my email every day until I hear the official decision haha, trying to not get my hopes up. 

Is there a too late to send interview thank you emails? This weekend was crazy for me once I got back so it just didn't happen right away, and since I interviewed Friday I now feel like it's at the point where sending this far after might look worse than not sending. Also did you just contact your POI or every person you interviewed with?

15 minutes ago, jasbee said:

Is there a too late to send interview thank you emails? This weekend was crazy for me once I got back so it just didn't happen right away, and since I interviewed Friday I now feel like it's at the point where sending this far after might look worse than not sending. Also did you just contact your POI or every person you interviewed with?

I think it would still be okay! I mean, worst case scenario they don't respond, but I think a lot of people would appreciate you reaching out regardless. But YMMV, and some people might disagree with me. Truthfully this was my first interview and I had no idea what I was doing, just tried to be sincere in all my interactions. 

I contacted my student host (because I didn't get a chance to say bye/thank you to her in person Friday night during the dinner), and then sent emails to everyone I interviewed with. I think my email might have been longer than the standard short thank you emails (for one I sent follow-up info about a specific viral vector construct he had asked about that I didn't remember off the top of my head, things I specifically liked about the program, highlights of our convo, etc). I know some people will say to not send an in-depth email like that, but they weren't too lengthy, and every reply I've gotten has been very positive and thanking me for a nice message. 

I imagine they've probably already submitted their reviews of you/I don't think nice emails have bearing on admission, but I still feel that it's a nice touch. I would say go ahead! 

Edited by synapticcat

12 minutes ago, jasbee said:

Definitely don't think there's a 'too late' to send them (unless it's like a month later). I would guess that earlier is better, but later is far better than never (plus it's only Tuesday!) I sent them to each faculty I interviewed with, as well as the program coordinator and admissions head (or whoever ran the weekend, it varied by schools for me). But certainly, CERTAINLY, would still send them!

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone here who applied to the Neuroscience and Cognitive Science program (NACS) at the University of Maryland, College Park? According to the results page, a couple of people have been interviewed starting from mid-December. Starting from January 22 or so, some people have also received notices to check the application portal, and saw that they have been rejected. In my case, I haven't been contacted by any of my POIs for an interview, so I don't have great hopes about admission, but then, this is a HUGE department with 112 faculty members, so I am guessing maybe people from different "home" departments have different timelines for reviewing applications? At any rate, I have not received a rejection notice, and when I check the application portal, I still see that the status of my application is "under departmental/program review." Is there anyone else in my situation?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and solidarity!

Just saw a NYU Neural Science rejection on the results page today. 

If that person is reading this, was the rejection post last week's interview, or rejection with no interview?  Hopefully they'll let some of us in limbo land know information before the second round of interviews there.

Also, anyone else in limbo for UNC?  Worried my application is just lost at this point with no interview *or* rejection, and interview weekend for neuro is next week.  

Double also, I know someone said they think Berkeley and UCLA are done with sending interviews, but I haven't heard any other confirmation of this, especially since earlier in January I called Berkeley and they said they are still sending out invites + same with UCLA.  

I know I have a very 'gray area' application, so I know I'll probably be in limbo land for at least a few more weeks.

Edited by Bouton

1 hour ago, Bouton said:

If that person is reading this, was the rejection post last week's interview, or rejection with no interview?  Hopefully they'll let some of us in limbo land know information before the second round of interviews there.

Also, anyone else in limbo for UNC?  Worried my application is just lost at this point with no interview *or* rejection, and interview weekend for neuro is next week.  

Double also, I know someone said they think Berkeley and UCLA are done with sending interviews, but I haven't heard any other confirmation of this, especially since earlier in January I called Berkeley and they said they are still sending out invites + same with UCLA.  

I know I have a very 'gray area' application, so I know I'll probably be in limbo land for at least a few more weeks.

They told all of us who interviewed at NYU this weekend to not expect any acceptances or rejections until early March, their committee doesn't meet for any of the interviewees until after the second weekend (which will be a little delayed this year because many of the med center labs are in the process of moving right now). It's my impression that if you have not been extended an interview invite yet, you are not going to be considered. 

12 hours ago, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone here who applied to the Neuroscience and Cognitive Science program (NACS) at the University of Maryland, College Park? According to the results page, a couple of people have been interviewed starting from mid-December. Starting from January 22 or so, some people have also received notices to check the application portal, and saw that they have been rejected. In my case, I haven't been contacted by any of my POIs for an interview, so I don't have great hopes about admission, but then, this is a HUGE department with 112 faculty members, so I am guessing maybe people from different "home" departments have different timelines for reviewing applications? At any rate, I have not received a rejection notice, and when I check the application portal, I still see that the status of my application is "under departmental/program review." Is there anyone else in my situation?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and solidarity!

The interviews for the NACS program at UMD will happen February 8-10. To the best of my knowledge, invited applicants were notified in early/mid-January. 

Sorry for the bad news! Best of luck with your other applications! 

9 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

Interviews or acceptances? I did my Northwestern interview last week. I think they send out admissions decisions within a few weeks after the interview.

Interviews! ugh okay, thanks! i have my first next week. how did everyone prepare?

22 hours ago, neuro1 said:

has anyone heard from northwestern or emory yet??

I heard from Emory in December. I think it might have been their only invite because they mentioned how many total interviewees they were going to have over their two dates. 

32 minutes ago, neuro1 said:

Interviews! ugh okay, thanks! i have my first next week. how did everyone prepare?

My first is next week, too! I've been reading papers of the faculty members with whom I'm interviewing and taking notes. I'm starting with the most recent review papers from each lab, then going back and reading their most recent actual study papers. Good luck!

On 1/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, Bouton said:

This was me - I was rejected without an interview invite. I know several people who haven't received a rejection or acceptance yet, and heard that they send out rejections and interview invites to the bottom and top, respectively, of applicants. Not sure what ends up happening to the middle!

14 hours ago, minds said:

I heard from Emory in December. I think it might have been their only invite because they mentioned how many total interviewees they were going to have over their two dates. 

My first is next week, too! I've been reading papers of the faculty members with whom I'm interviewing and taking notes. I'm starting with the most recent review papers from each lab, then going back and reading their most recent actual study papers. Good luck!

Pro-tip from someone who's had 3 interviews so far: you really don't need to read so many papers for the interviews. I did that for my first one, and nothing from any paper came up in conversation at all. Figured it was a waste of time and didn't do it for my second one, and still nothing came up.

I think it's best to just be familiar with their work - i.e. exactly what their research interests are, not specific experiments/papers. They'll tell you about their recent work in the interview. Unless you're genuinely really interested in one of their papers and would read it regardless of the interview.

Edited by BabyScientist

10 hours ago, kombuch said:

Does anyone know about Boston University's Neuroscience or Behavioral Neuroscience interview invites? If any have gone out yet, or when to expect them?

I got an interview invite from them (Neuroscience) last week, but have no idea if they are rolling or did them all at once. The interview is the last week in February though, so I would expect them to get them all out relatively soon if they haven't already!

10 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

Pro-tip from someone who's had 3 interviews so far: you really don't need to read so many papers for the interviews. I did that for my first one, and nothing from any paper came up in conversation at all. Figured it was a waste of time and didn't do it for my second one, and still nothing came up.

I think it's best to just be familiar with their work - i.e. exactly what their research interests are, not specific experiments/papers. They'll tell you about their recent work in the interview. Unless you're genuinely really interested in one of their papers and would read it regardless of the interview.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I have read all the ones I'm extremely interested in already. I just wanted to cover my bases, not knowing what to expect. Now I suppose I won't spend this whole coming week frantically  studying.