2018 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

eevee

7 hours ago, Pyramidal-Tamer said:

Any news from Stanford neuro?

They historically don't send invites until the 2nd week of January at the earliest, so I wouldn't expect anything before then. Relatedly, anything new from UCLA, Berkeley, or MIT?

37 minutes ago, neuromemory said:

They historically don't send invites until the 2nd week of January at the earliest, so I wouldn't expect anything before then. Relatedly, anything new from UCLA, Berkeley, or MIT?

Thanks---was checking since I haven't seen updates. And I received an invitation from MIT in December, but I didn't apply to UCLA or Berkeley. Good luck.

10 minutes ago, Pyramidal-Tamer said:

Yup, MIT BCS. And via phone first, followed by an email a few days later.

Congrats! Did you apply significantly before the deadline by chance? Reading last years forum it looked like MIT didn’t get back to people before the first of the year and I haven’t heard of anyone else getting interviews. Still holding out hope they are sending more out!

4 minutes ago, neuronerd123 said:

Congrats! Did you apply significantly before the deadline by chance? Reading last years forum it looked like MIT didn’t get back to people before the first of the year and I haven’t heard of anyone else getting interviews. Still holding out hope they are sending more out!

Thanks! And not too early---about a  week and a half before the deadline. My final rec letter wasn't submitted until 11/30, so quite the opposite of early in terms of a complete app. At any rate, good luck to you!

Has anyone heard from UC Davis or Boston University?

My results so far: 

- Applied: UC Davis NGP, Boston University GPN, Vanderbilt University NGP

- Invited: Vanderbilt NGP

- Rejected: none so far

2 hours ago, Mana99 said:

Has anyone heard from USC NGP?

Did they send out invitations?

Looks like they will be sending out invites in the next two weeks or so based on previous years. I haven't seen any posts so I wouldn't worry. I'm waiting to hear from them too!

1 hour ago, RI290 said:

Looking at past submissions, it appears BU GPN doesn't send out invites until the end of the month. I am waiting as well!

Thanks for that info. Fingers crossed!

I emailed admissions for NSIDP/UCLA neuro and it sounds like they have two interview weekends: the first weekend and last weekend in February. I don't want to push my luck with asking them too many questions, but does anyone know if the post on the results survey saying that interviews are the 3-4 of February is true? That would be the first weekend, I'm assuming.

The reason I ask is that I already have an interview and would fly home on the 3rd, but, if I was lucky and got the UCLA interview, I could fly straight there... I also have one school that does not abide by the April 15th deadline and I interview there in two weeks, so the second UCLA interview date may be too late for me :( 

Also, does anyone know when we should expect to hear about interviews? I saw a couple of posts in the results survey from December, but also saw that most of us shouldn't expect results until after the winter break. 

Just emailed w/ the MIT graduate program assistant, and she told me that it's unlikely to be admitted if you haven't received an interview invitation by now, and that all rejected candidates will receive notifications in April. 

Also got unofficially rejected from UPenn when I tried to update my application :( I emailed them, and they said they received almost 400 applications this year. 

Feeling pretty sad because I still haven't received an interview from any of the schools I applied to :( 

17 minutes ago, neuronerd1 said:

I just heard from UCLA that I got an interview for the Feb 4-5 weekend. They didn't give me any alternate dates but they might have another interview weekend.

Interviews: UCSD, TSRI (La Jolla), UCLA

Rejections: Caltech

Still waiting: Stanford, CU Boulder

Congrats! 

Just got rejected from rockefeller

Does anyone know if NYU is done sending out invites? It looks like they sent a wave out in December so I'm not super hopeful

Interviews: Columbia, UCSF, Yale

Waiting on: NYU?

Rejected: Mt Sinai, Rockefeller and harvard

Edited by Taco cat

8 hours ago, Pyramidal-Tamer said:

I can't speak for that particular program, but I know Stanford Biosciences (as a whole) is not done sending invites. Some programs haven't even sent invites. Via email, I was told that they just returned from holiday break and will be sending invites through next week but that decisions have not yet been made (at least for neuroscience). Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, Baller123 said:

Invite from Stanford Neuro over the phone.

Does anyone know if this means all the Stanford Neuro invites are being sent out today after all, or are they still going to spread it out into next week?  I didn't see too many posts on the results page, but I don't have a good sense of what percent of applicants are on this site.

1 hour ago, noisemaker483 said:

Does anyone know if this means all the Stanford Neuro invites are being sent out today after all, or are they still going to spread it out into next week?  I didn't see too many posts on the results page, but I don't have a good sense of what percent of applicants are on this site.

Not sure about in general, but I got a call from them today. Hope that helps!