Fall 2018 PhD (Social Work/Social Welfare)

5 hours ago, JesstDoIt said:

Good morning, 

I’m late to the forum, unfortunately. All of the support during this arduous process would have been welcomed! I have already been accepted at the University of Georgia - full tuition, assistantship, and stipend. I have an interview at University of Houston tomorrow ?. Denied from UT- Austin. Haven’t heard anything from any of my other schools, which is starting to make me nervous. I applied to a LOT of schools. 

UMich, UNC-CH, UCLA, USC, ASU, Fordham, FSU (UMich and USC seem to have already made decisions so I’m just waiting on confirmation of rejection). 

Congratulations! Let us know how the interview goes! I have one next month that I’m nervous about so any insight on your experience would be greatly appreciated on my end! :D

16 hours ago, MCIChris said:

Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on the offer!! We may become classmates this fall. I think I am about to take up the offer. :)

Ahh! No way! You are going to OSU!? I am most likely going to accept as well. Just waiting to hear back from one school. 

And Congrats to you as well! 

On 2/22/2018 at 1:24 PM, SWjdg said:

At this point I just wish I got an answer. this process is completely exhausting and I am so sick of waiting (untill april 15th now). I don't think many people are going to decline their acceptance to WashU, but I am sure it's happened. 

Dude, don't give up. 

7 hours ago, SWjdg said:

At this point I just wish I got an answer. this process is completely exhausting and I am so sick of waiting (untill april 15th now). I don't think many people are going to decline their acceptance to WashU, but I am sure it's happened. 

Is this after they flew you in for the interview?

Edited by Thewait
Typo

On 2/22/2018 at 9:58 PM, SWjdg said:

All after the interview - decisions came 2 weeks later 

When I went to go visit WashU (on my own), a current student told me that some people reject the offer. Some go to U Mich, U of Chicago, and Penn. So, don't lose hope! Congrats on getting the interview, I was flatly rejected!

On 2/21/2018 at 9:01 PM, MCIChris said:

Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on the offer!! We may become classmates this fall. I think I am about to take up the offer. :)

Congrats! Are you still going to see if you get off the Waitlist for UT Austin? I just received an offer from Indiana University that looks really good, but a part of me still wants to see if UT Austin comes through. 

8 hours ago, Thewait said:

Congrats! Are you still going to see if you get off the Waitlist for UT Austin? I just received an offer from Indiana University that looks really good, but a part of me still wants to see if UT Austin comes through. 

I certainly hope that UT-Austin would get me off the waitlist... However, I have spoken with OSU's faculty and current students. They have been so warm and welcoming to me, which makes me tend so much more to accept it than merely just wait anxiously for a hope. 

3 hours ago, MCIChris said:

I certainly hope that UT-Austin would get me off the waitlist... However, I have spoken with OSU's faculty and current students. They have been so warm and welcoming to me, which makes me tend so much more to accept it than merely just wait anxiously for a hope. 

The same! Gotta love that mid-west hospitality! Did you hear anything back from UT Austin? The last time I emailed was when the email first went out, inquiring if the waitlist was ranked. Sherry said it wasn't yet. Just heard from U of Denver that I have been invited for an interview! Good news finally rolling in! Woohoo!

13 minutes ago, Thewait said:

The same! Gotta love that mid-west hospitality! Did you hear anything back from UT Austin? The last time I emailed was when the email first went out, inquiring if the waitlist was ranked. Sherry said it wasn't yet. Just heard from U of Denver that I have been invited for an interview! Good news finally rolling in! Woohoo!

I heard from Denver too. I just can't understand how their PhD candidates live on the stipend they hand out (for only 3 years?!). so many questions. 

30 minutes ago, SWjdg said:

I heard from Denver too. I just can't understand how their PhD candidates live on the stipend they hand out (for only 3 years?!). so many questions. 

Right? I love city, the work they are producing, and the professors. Hate the stipend. The student I spoke with said that a lot of them just string together side hustles such as grading for professors, etc. But, still the cost of living is so high there! I've been Zillowing and its crazy!

2 hours ago, Thewait said:

Right? I love city, the work they are producing, and the professors. Hate the stipend. The student I spoke with said that a lot of them just string together side hustles such as grading for professors, etc. But, still the cost of living is so high there! I've been Zillowing and its crazy!

I have many friends in the city and the cost of living has been going up a lot while the stipend at university of Denver remains unchanged. 15k is not hardly enough to pay for a studio per year there. 

Edited by SWjdg

5 minutes ago, Thewait said:

So, which offer are you thinking of accepting?

Between Denver or Pittsburgh? Most likely the latter, however if there is funding adjustments in my favor at Denver I would much rather live there. Close to family and home. 

9 hours ago, Thewait said:

Congrats! You will definitely hear from more schools with good news! I also just received the official offer package from U of Maryland at Baltimore. Their package is very attractive (actually it is the highest I have had so far), but the safety issue is a major concern. 

No updates from UT-Austin yet.

5 hours ago, SWjdg said:

Between Denver or Pittsburgh? Most likely the latter, however if there is funding adjustments in my favor at Denver I would much rather live there. Close to family and home. 

I went to Pitt for my MSW! It is a great program, and I loveee the city. Totally understandable about family though.  What are your research interests?