Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
fenderpete

The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

729 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Talbs said:

You know honestly, UNC-CH is essentially a "dream school" to me, but I had convinced myself there was no chance in hell at getting accepted, so there was no need to waste my cash. On the off chance I was accepted, I didn't know if 55k for the program there would be worth the premium, compared to an MPA from somewhere like Clemson that would cost half as much. I will give these schools some thought.

If I enter an MPA program, I will do a specialization/concentration in either Town/City/County Management, or Public Finance. All of my work experience has been with departments within county government. I just didn't know if I should completely sell out and only apply to schools that are begging for applicants, or if maybe schools within the Top 100 should be on my list.

I don't think it would hurt to try at all and you definitely stand a chance.  The schools I mentioned are great for Public Finance. 

Program: MPA, International Relations

Undergrad School: SUNY Purchase College

Undergrad GPA: 3.48 (Dean's List the first two years, but fell off my last year.)

Note: Graduated in three years

Work Experience: I've worked as a reporter in various capacities with publications in The New York Post, LA Weekly and various papers through the Associated Press. I've also have had some fiction published. I ventured into education for a short while as a tutor of at risk youths in one of Chicago's worst neighborhoods. Currently I work as a docent at a science museum.

GRE:  Quantitative - 148; Verbal - 162; Writing - 4.5

LORs: Journalism professor with international reporting experience, high school comparative politics teacher--who was arguably the best in the country at the time she taught me--, either a political science professor or a former co-worker with knowledge of my analytical skills

Foreign Language Skills: I'm learning Spanish and plan on picking up French soon. Currently I know a little bit of both, but am no one where near fluent.

Journalism was my first choice, but I realized I'm more interested in international relations. I'm a career changer. What are my chances of attending a top tier school? Should I brush up on math and retake the GRE to improve my quantitative score?

46 minutes ago, The_Gibson said:

Program: MPA, International Relations

Undergrad School: SUNY Purchase College

Undergrad GPA: 3.48 (Dean's List the first two years, but fell off my last year.)

Note: Graduated in three years

Work Experience: I've worked as a reporter in various capacities with publications in The New York Post, LA Weekly and various papers through the Associated Press. I've also have had some fiction published. I ventured into education for a short while as a tutor of at risk youths in one of Chicago's worst neighborhoods. Currently I work as a docent at a science museum.

GRE:  Quantitative - 148; Verbal - 162; Writing - 4.5

LORs: Journalism professor with international reporting experience, high school comparative politics teacher--who was arguably the best in the country at the time she taught me--, either a political science professor or a former co-worker with knowledge of my analytical skills

Foreign Language Skills: I'm learning Spanish and plan on picking up French soon. Currently I know a little bit of both, but am no one where near fluent.

Journalism was my first choice, but I realized I'm more interested in international relations. I'm a career changer. What are my chances of attending a top tier school? Should I brush up on math and retake the GRE to improve my quantitative score?

I would definitely recommend improving that Q score. Your experience won't be proof that you have good analytical skills, so, combined with a below 50th percentile score, I think you are out of the running for all top tier schools at this point. Shoot for a 160, but even a 155 will look much better than a 148. You have unique-enough work experience that could prove valuable to admissions if you can prove to them that you can handle the economics/statistics.

24 minutes ago, Ben414 said:

I would definitely recommend improving that Q score. Your experience won't be proof that you have good analytical skills, so, combined with a below 50th percentile score, I think you are out of the running for all top tier schools at this point. Shoot for a 160, but even a 155 will look much better than a 148. You have unique-enough work experience that could prove valuable to admissions if you can prove to them that you can handle the economics/statistics.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on sticking to the qualitative side as much as possible. With my current scores what schools could I possibly get into?