Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2015 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

competitiveness gpa gre requirements experience profile application

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#581 Poli92

Poli92

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationMidwest
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

What do you want to study? 

Applied: Yale Jackson, JHU SAIS, GWU Elliott, and American SIS 

Accepted:

Rejected:

#582 freewayK

freewayK

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable
  • Program:International Relations

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

What do you want to study? 

Chinese International Development and Foreign Policy in SE Asia. 

#583 ayir

ayir

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Application Season:2015 Fall

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

I would suggest you still apply to Ford if you really want to. Though as a public university they don't grant many scholarships, taking a TA means that you are eligible for tuition remission. I talked to a friend who graduated from there last year, and she confirmed that it's possible to get TA positions such that you get almost all of your tuition remitted, in addition to being paid. It can be pretty generous, so don't rule it out as a choice before you even apply.

160 is a pretty good quant score. Just check the average GRE scores of admitted cohorts through the Admissions page at different schools. I bet you'll see you're in the middle to upper part of the pack. Combined with your engineering degree, the Admissions folks will not doubt your quantitative skills!

Cheesecake : I really appreciate you taking the time to comment! I value your comment :-) I did apply to Ford (Though my transcripts are yet to reach them ).Also, as I fret, over analyse and drive my self crazy your comment on my Quant score has given me a bit of "Peace" :-) Thank you again!

#584 Soy Latte

Soy Latte

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • Application Season:2016 Fall
  • Program:MPP

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:23 AM

Hi guys!

First time poster. I want to apply to an MPP program, and I have no idea if I'm competitive. I just took the GRE, and I scored a 161 V and a 152 Q, with a 5 in the writing. I had a 3.67 in undergrad from a well-respected state school, and I studied Political Science and did undergrad research, etc. I am working on the Affordable Care Act campaign now, as a community liaison, and it requires a good bit of data analysis and policy work. I'm less than two years out of undergrad.  I definitely want to go to a school that's worthwhile and prestigious. Should I retake the GRE? I know my Quant needs work. 

Thanks for the help!

#585 Fante

Fante

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Application Season:2015 Spring
  • Program:Public Policy/Global Human Development

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

Hi guys!

First time poster. I want to apply to an MPP program, and I have no idea if I'm competitive. I just took the GRE, and I scored a 161 V and a 152 Q, with a 5 in the writing. I had a 3.67 in undergrad from a well-respected state school, and I studied Political Science and did undergrad research, etc. I am working on the Affordable Care Act campaign now, as a community liaison, and it requires a good bit of data analysis and policy work. I'm less than two years out of undergrad.  I definitely want to go to a school that's worthwhile and prestigious. Should I retake the GRE? I know my Quant needs work. 

Thanks for the help!

I think your profile looks strong and it is a bit like students at the LBJ school of public affairs (UT Austin), which is a good school. However, if you want to go to a top of the line Ivy League schools, you may need to improve your quant. score. Just my two cents! Good luck!

#586 goebelb

goebelb

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

So I'm going crazy playing the waiting game for responses, so I'd thought I'd post here to see what everyone thinks my chances are. Especially for receiving funding.

Program: MPP

Schools being considered: GWU, Maryland, GMU, American

Major: International Development w/ a Poli Sci minor

GPA: 3.71 ( slightly higher in major)

GRE score: 166V, 155Q, 4.0 AW

Undergraduate school: Small Christian liberal arts school.

Years since undergrad: Less than 1 (Spring 2014 graduation)

Work experience:  Summer in undergrad working on public health projects in India. Summer working for City of Seattle on a federally funded welfare program (technically I was an Americorps Member). Standard Congressional internship. Started working at a refugee resettlement agency full time a few months after graduation.

Coursework: Stats (A), Research methods (A), Lots of micro, macro, and development economics (all A's).

Language skills: Basic Hindi, Intermediate Spanish

Statement of Purpose: Nothing special, but very focused on a specific policy area that I want to pursue.

Letters of Recommendation: Undergraduate advisor/professor who was the head of my program, Adjunct professor who is very accomplished in his field, District Director for Congressman I interned for. 

Concerns: One of my letters was two weeks late to Maryland and GWU for reasons outside my control. The schools didn't seem to be overly concerned, but I still don't like how it looks. Also my ability to compete for funding having relatively little work experience.

Edited by goebelb, 14 February 2015 - 04:44 PM.

#587 WhatAmIDoingNow

WhatAmIDoingNow

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Program:PHD in Public Policy and Admin

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:17 AM

So I'm going crazy playing the waiting game for responses, so I'd thought I'd post here to see what everyone thinks my chances are. Especially for receiving funding.

Program: MPP

Schools being considered: GWU, Maryland, GMU, American

Major: International Development w/ a Poli Sci minor

GPA: 3.71 ( slightly higher in major)

GRE score: 166V, 155Q, 4.0 AW

Undergraduate school: Small Christian liberal arts school.

Years since undergrad: Less than 1 (Spring 2014 graduation)

Work experience:  Summer in undergrad working on public health projects in India. Summer working for City of Seattle on a federally funded welfare program (technically I was an Americorps Member). Standard Congressional internship. Started working at a refugee resettlement agency full time a few months after graduation.

Coursework: Stats (A), Research methods (A), Lots of micro, macro, and development economics (all A's).

Language skills: Basic Hindi, Intermediate Spanish

Statement of Purpose: Nothing special, but very focused on a specific policy area that I want to pursue.

Letters of Recommendation: Undergraduate advisor/professor who was the head of my program, Adjunct professor who is very accomplished in his field, District Director for Congressman I interned for. 

Concerns: One of my letters was two weeks late to Maryland and GWU for reasons outside my control. The schools didn't seem to be overly concerned, but I still don't like how it looks. Also my ability to compete for funding having relatively little work experience.

I have spoken to quite a few people on admission committees.  As long as you got all your items in on time, you should be fine.  I would make sure to notify programs that you are working on getting the recommender to submit the letter.  They are aware of how flaky/over scheduled academics can be, they shouldn't punish you for someone else's responsibility.

Funding is for a Master program can be tricky, I don't hear of many people getting full funding unless through their employer.  There are scholarships that can help ease the pain of expenses that your will probably qualify for.  You should be able to compete for a student worker position on a research projects and paid internships. 

Edited by WhatAmIDoingNow, 20 February 2015 - 02:24 AM.

- WhatAmIDoingNow?

Applied: UofMinn Humphrey School ($), AZStateUni School of Public Affairs ($), UofWash Evans School

Accepted: 2/3 

Denied: 0/3

Wait listed: 0/3

Attending: 

#588 ssr1989

ssr1989

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIndia
  • Program:Masters in Public Policy

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hey there!

Although I have applied but not very sure of getting through this year. Below is my profile. Would love to hear your comments. Looking at HKS, WWS, Georgetown (I know!)

GPA really low: 2.4 (Bachelors in Mathematics) - University of Delhi, did a one year academic fellowship program - 3.4/4 (Its not a degree program. So don't know how much will the academic performance count here)

Years of Work ex - Three and a half (Worked in a think tank for 6 months. Worked with an NGO in an urban slum to set up digital learning centers for 8 months, Worked with a state government for two years - one year in rural areas and the second in the office of the Additional Chief Secretary) 

Recos: Pretty good

GRE: 329 - Quant 165, Verbal 164

TOEFL: 109

No international experience. I am really concerned about by bad academic scores though I have good leadership experience at all levels. 

Please advise! Thanks :)

#589 gradjm

gradjm

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Application Season:2013 Spring

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

Anyone apply to HKS this cycle?

This forum seems dead with no hks thread

Applied: HKS MPP 2014-2015

GRE: 164 V, 168 Q, 5.0 writing

#590 interdisciplinaryangst

interdisciplinaryangst

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

Program: MA/MSc/Phil (Social Policy/Human Rights-related)

Schools being considered: Oxford (MSc/MPhil Comparative Social Policy), Columbia (MA Human Rights Studies, considering SIPA next year if apps unsuccessful), LSE (Social Policy & Planning), other Canadian inst.

Undergrad Institution: top-tier Canadian school

Major: Joint Honours Political Science/Canadian Studies

GPA: 3.78 (3.85 for last 2 years)

GRE score: none (not needed for programs applying to)

Years since undergrad: graduating this term

Work experience:  1 year as full-time elected executive of university student union representing >20,000 people (ample policy advocacy/writing experience at University & student union level); volunteer: 2 other years as unpaid elected student representative, 1 summer internship with federal political party, 2 years on executive of an undergraduate journal, 1.5 years on exec of political party campus group

Coursework: one intro-level microeconomics course (A), one mandatory empirical research course for Honours Poli Sci (B+), one econ-related international relations course (A-)

Language skills: some French

Statement of Purpose: focusing on policy advocacy area of interest, linking academic interest in area with policy advocacy skills from work experience

Letters of Recommendation: director of one of my Major programs, director of program in a related field at Uni I took transfer courses at, non-academic Dean (student advocate; professional colleague)

Concerns: minimal quantitative/econ-related coursework, minimal off-campus internships/experience, no paid research experience (just Honours thesis & independent study course). Considering taking a year off to get more research/work experience.

Edited by interdisciplinaryangst, 03 March 2015 - 04:19 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users