Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2015 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

competitiveness gpa gre requirements experience profile application

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#581 chocolatecheesecake

chocolatecheesecake

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:MPP (Class of 2016)

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:03 AM

Hi all, 

I have just applied to 2 policy programs and I was wondering about the odds of getting through. I would much appreciate if you can give me feedbackon my profile. (Thinking of applying to Fletcher and Ford (No scholarship))

GRE score: 160 Verbal 160 Quant

Concerns: I am really concerned about my Quant score and I was wondering the kind of weight-age 'Google' carries from admissions perspective. Please help!   

Much appreciate the help!

I would suggest you still apply to Ford if you really want to. Though as a public university they don't grant many scholarships, taking a TA means that you are eligible for tuition remission. I talked to a friend who graduated from there last year, and she confirmed that it's possible to get TA positions such that you get almost all of your tuition remitted, in addition to being paid. It can be pretty generous, so don't rule it out as a choice before you even apply.

160 is a pretty good quant score. Just check the average GRE scores of admitted cohorts through the Admissions page at different schools. I bet you'll see you're in the middle to upper part of the pack. Combined with your engineering degree, the Admissions folks will not doubt your quantitative skills!

#582 freewayK

freewayK

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable
  • Program:International Relations

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hi there! I'm looking to apply for Graduate school next year. I'm not sure how competitive it is so I wanted to see what you guys think about my chances I am really hoping to get into a top IR school.

My list: JHU SAIS, Georgetown SFS, American SIS, GWU Elliot, Tufts Fletcher, UCSD IR/PS, UM Ford School, Yale Jackson

GPA: 3.78 from a Top 100 private university where I majored in Poli Sci

GRE Score: Q: 149 V: 159 A: still waiting to receive score

Work experience:
5 years of work experience with internships at international development non-profits and IR think tank. Spent 2 years in the Peace Corps.

International Experience:
Study abroad in China (semester), study abroad in the Philippines (semester), international internship in India, 2 years with Peace Corps in Indonesia

Language Experience:
Intermediate Mandarin Chinese (4 years of study in college)
Strong Working Proficiency in Indonesian

Quant. Background:
Originally majored in Finance before switching to Poli Sci thus I took Macro, Micro, Accounting 1 and a couple Finance classes. Hopefully this makes up for a low Quantitative GRE score!

Other:
Hundreds of hours of volunteer experience with a commitment to community service and social justice.
Wrote an Honors Senior Thesis during my undergraduate years. Well received paper by faculty of my department!
Strong Letters of Rec & Statement of Purpose

*** The main thing I am worried about in my application is my lower / below average GRE scores. I studied a lot for them, but just not the best test taker in the standardized ETS format.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first post here. I know these "what are my chances/am i competitive" threads can get annoying but I think it is useful to connect with others and hear peoples advice, since I am new to this.

Edited by freewayK, 29 January 2015 - 10:34 PM.

#583 Poli92

Poli92

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

What do you want to study? 

Applied: Yale Jackson, JHU SAIS, GWU Elliott, and American SIS 

Accepted:

Rejected:

Waiting: All 

#584 freewayK

freewayK

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Program:International Relations

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

What do you want to study? 

Chinese International Development and Foreign Policy in SE Asia. 

#585 ayir

ayir

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Application Season:2015 Fall
  • Program:MPP

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

I would suggest you still apply to Ford if you really want to. Though as a public university they don't grant many scholarships, taking a TA means that you are eligible for tuition remission. I talked to a friend who graduated from there last year, and she confirmed that it's possible to get TA positions such that you get almost all of your tuition remitted, in addition to being paid. It can be pretty generous, so don't rule it out as a choice before you even apply.

160 is a pretty good quant score. Just check the average GRE scores of admitted cohorts through the Admissions page at different schools. I bet you'll see you're in the middle to upper part of the pack. Combined with your engineering degree, the Admissions folks will not doubt your quantitative skills!

Cheesecake : I really appreciate you taking the time to comment! I value your comment :-) I did apply to Ford (Though my transcripts are yet to reach them ).Also, as I fret, over analyse and drive my self crazy your comment on my Quant score has given me a bit of "Peace" :-) Thank you again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users