2016 Applicants

Sooo...
I'm brand new to this forum.  Currently finishing up my 2nd Bachelors online through Utah State University and applying to Fullerton, Long Beach, Chapman, and San Diego State.  I felt pretty good about my applications...up until now.  Recently, I've been second-guessing literally everything.  I'm worried I don't have enough experience in the field other than volunteering for about 6 months this past year.  I'm also worried because Fullerton requires a Statistics course to be on your transcripts.  I knew that Statistics was a requirement for certification, but I didn't know that it was also a requirement for some graduate programs.  Now, I'm not only stressing about finishing my applications and my undergrad, but also about taking a stand-alone statistics course in the spring (at the same time my girlfriend and I are planning on getting married).  Can anyone offer any words of encouragement?

Sooo...
I'm brand new to this forum.  Currently finishing up my 2nd Bachelors online through Utah State University and applying to Fullerton, Long Beach, Chapman, and San Diego State.  I felt pretty good about my applications...up until now.  Recently, I've been second-guessing literally everything.  I'm worried I don't have enough experience in the field other than volunteering for about 6 months this past year.  I'm also worried because Fullerton requires a Statistics course to be on your transcripts.  I knew that Statistics was a requirement for certification, but I didn't know that it was also a requirement for some graduate programs.  Now, I'm not only stressing about finishing my applications and my undergrad, but also about taking a stand-alone statistics course in the spring (at the same time my girlfriend and I are planning on getting married).  Can anyone offer any words of encouragement?

Congrats on getting married!

I'm also coming from out-of-field and yeah, the discrepancy between the amount of experience I have in the field vs. the stellar experiences everyone else seems to have weighs heavily on me a lot, but try not to worry about it too much. I figure since we're coming from different backgrounds, our resumes are going to reflect our experience in those different backgrounds, and it's not going to be a one-to-one comparison between candidates like us and the candidates who have tons of background in the field. It's just not possible.

I also went to a school that's pretty famous for grade deflation and haven't had enough time to rack up the observation hours and volunteer time that I've wanted to, but I figure I can't change the circumstances that made my application what it is at this point. Just focus on putting together the best app you can, and worst case scenario is, you get lots of time to think of new ways to volunteer/improve your application to make it stronger for the next go-around.

Congrats on getting married!

I'm also coming from out-of-field and yeah, the discrepancy between the amount of experience I have in the field vs. the stellar experiences everyone else seems to have weighs heavily on me a lot, but try not to worry about it too much. I figure since we're coming from different backgrounds, our resumes are going to reflect our experience in those different backgrounds, and it's not going to be a one-to-one comparison between candidates like us and the candidates who have tons of background in the field. It's just not possible.

I also went to a school that's pretty famous for grade deflation and haven't had enough time to rack up the observation hours and volunteer time that I've wanted to, but I figure I can't change the circumstances that made my application what it is at this point. Just focus on putting together the best app you can, and worst case scenario is, you get lots of time to think of new ways to volunteer/improve your application to make it stronger for the next go-around.

I come from a school quite famous for grade deflation as well. I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning that in my SOP. I don't want to make it seem like an excuse but at the same time it is a reality. 

Anyone else applying to ASU this year? I'm kind of freaking out over the fact that personal statements have to be 300 words or less. All of my statements so far have been around 700-800 words, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to cut that down without removing important information!

The prompt just says, "explain your reasons for wanting to be a speech-language pathologist". To me, that sounds like they want to hear about personal backgrounds, rather than clinical experiences and such. I was going to explain that my dad had a stroke and was diagnosed with aphasia when I was very young, elaborate on how speech therapy has helped him over the years, and then transition that into an explanation of why this has made me want to pursue SLP. I'm worried that it'll end up sounding like a sob story, but I'm not sure how else to approach this prompt! Any suggestions? 

300 words is so short!! I feel your pain. I would go right into the meat of your passion for the field, and maybe not talk too much about your relative. There's so little space in 300 words.

Unrelated: I just learned that CSDCAS is pronounced "sid-cass," not C-S-D-CAS, like I've been saying. Whoops.

Anyone else applying to ASU this year? I'm kind of freaking out over the fact that personal statements have to be 300 words or less. All of my statements so far have been around 700-800 words, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to cut that down without removing important information!

The prompt just says, "explain your reasons for wanting to be a speech-language pathologist". To me, that sounds like they want to hear about personal backgrounds, rather than clinical experiences and such. I was going to explain that my dad had a stroke and was diagnosed with aphasia when I was very young, elaborate on how speech therapy has helped him over the years, and then transition that into an explanation of why this has made me want to pursue SLP. I'm worried that it'll end up sounding like a sob story, but I'm not sure how else to approach this prompt! Any suggestions? 

I am! Cutting down my personal statement was almost impossible, but I started with about 500 words that I'm either expanding or cutting based on the school. I was confused because their prompt doesn't quite match what they ask for in the FAQ, so I just went off of the FAQ answer (posted below) but also tied in the prompt.

"The 'statement of intent' should include a concise summary of the applicant's professional goals, specific interests within the chosen discipline, and relevant experiences to date. Committee members view the 'statement of intent' as an opportunity to gain information about individual applicants that goes beyond the more traditional indicators such as letters of reference, grade point averages, and GRE scores. The committee relies on multiple sources of information, both subjective and objective, to reach an admission decision. An applicant's 'statement of intent' is evaluated for clarity of writing and form. It is also an essential vehicle for understanding the applicant's professional goals, specific interests within the professions (e.g., adults, children, infants, toddlers, hearing impaired, etc.), and special experiences that may have generated initial interest in the discipline."

I did my 500 word SOP first, sent that in, and then expanded it. They ended up being completely different essays. My current SOP is about 700 words long, but it fits on two pages double spaced, so shhhhhh no one tell.

I've been snooping on gradcafe for a few months and finally got around to making an account. Hello hello!

Hmm.. applications areeee going... puahaha. I've done everything but my personal statement & supplements... why do I always put off the hard stuff for last! :o I'm so confused about some of the double applications. I posted something on that in the forum. Hopefully someone can help me out with that.

Just curious, but what are everyone's MBTIs!!! 

Done nearly all the little stuff, but not my personal statement and letters of rec.  That University of Washington application was so tedious...
By the way, INTP!

I am! Cutting down my personal statement was almost impossible, but I started with about 500 words that I'm either expanding or cutting based on the school. I was confused because their prompt doesn't quite match what they ask for in the FAQ, so I just went off of the FAQ answer (posted below) but also tied in the prompt.

"The 'statement of intent' should include a concise summary of the applicant's professional goals, specific interests within the chosen discipline, and relevant experiences to date. Committee members view the 'statement of intent' as an opportunity to gain information about individual applicants that goes beyond the more traditional indicators such as letters of reference, grade point averages, and GRE scores. The committee relies on multiple sources of information, both subjective and objective, to reach an admission decision. An applicant's 'statement of intent' is evaluated for clarity of writing and form. It is also an essential vehicle for understanding the applicant's professional goals, specific interests within the professions (e.g., adults, children, infants, toddlers, hearing impaired, etc.), and special experiences that may have generated initial interest in the discipline."

This is so helpful, thank you!!! I didn't even think to check the FAQ haha. Also, I couldn't help but notice we're applying to two of the same schools! How is your Jacksonville app going? 

I've finished one application and half of another, the rest are all just waiting on my personal statements and letters of rec. The personal statements are killing me right now! Eveywhere online says "if they don't specify, try to stay to one-page or 500 words", but my best draft is 1,000 words and covers everything I need it to succinctly. I have no idea if I'm just doing it wrong or what...I don't know how to cut it down to 500 or less without losing a lot of content I think is important.

I wish I could go back and edit the app I turned in, because I know more about a couple professors at that school now than I did then. Ugh.

Sooo...

Okay not to scare you more but for

Fullerton you need an extremely high GPA they told a current student there with a 3.7 not to bother applying (even as a student they know) so keep that in mind for them.  They have no GRE and no interview this cycle so the GPA is pretty much the number one criteria for getting your application looked at there.  The letters of rec would also need to be very very good.

SDSU a bit more balanced but also wants things good in every area.

Long Beach prefers their own students

Chapman haven't heard many details on what they prefer

I'm sorry if this is not the encouragement you were looking for I would just suggest maybe casting a wider net area wise?  Everyone in OC seems to be applying within a very small bubble of schools so from what I gather everyone from SDSU, Fullerton, Chapman, Long Beach and other programs in the area (LA) are ALL applying to the exact same schools, which is going to make it much harder to get into the schools you're applying too.  Especially those that prefer their own students.  

However if you have a stellar GPA and a great overall application who knows you might be the application that stands out from the crowd!

I've finished one application and half of another, the rest are all just waiting on my personal statements and letters of rec. The personal statements are killing me right now! Eveywhere online says "if they don't specify, try to stay to one-page or 500 words", but my best draft is 1,000 words and covers everything I need it to succinctly. I have no idea if I'm just doing it wrong or what...I don't know how to cut it down to 500 or less without losing a lot of content I think is important.

I wish I could go back and edit the app I turned in, because I know more about a couple professors at that school now than I did then. Ugh.

Same here!  Okay no actually closer to 800 but it won't sound right if it is 500 I had it reviewed and she said it did a pretty good job of succinctly going over stuff.  She did give me tips on what to cut though so getting closer.  One page though...idk if that will happen!

Okay not to scare you more but for

Fullerton you need an extremely high GPA they told a current student there with a 3.7 not to bother applying (even as a student they know) so keep that in mind for them.  They have no GRE and no interview this cycle so the GPA is pretty much the number one criteria for getting your application looked at there.  The letters of rec would also need to be very very good.

SDSU a bit more balanced but also wants things good in every area.

Long Beach prefers their own students

Chapman haven't heard many details on what they prefer

I'm sorry if this is not the encouragement you were looking for I would just suggest maybe casting a wider net area wise?  Everyone in OC seems to be applying within a very small bubble of schools so from what I gather everyone from SDSU, Fullerton, Chapman, Long Beach and other programs in the area (LA) are ALL applying to the exact same schools, which is going to make it much harder to get into the schools you're applying too.  Especially those that prefer their own students.  

However if you have a stellar GPA and a great overall application who knows you might be the application that stands out from the crowd!

Hahaha, well not exactly what I was looking to hear, but thank you for the info.  For a variety of reasons, I'm going to have to stay pretty local for grad school, so these were the best choices I could find for my situation.  

I've finished all my apps except for my statement of purpose for each school.  Just waiting on Long Beach to post the application materials.  I'm not stressing as hard as I was before.  The SLP I volunteer with wrote me an awesome LOR that she let me read, so that's given me a bit more confidence in my application.  

At this point, I've done all I can do.  My GPA and GRE scores are as good as they are going to be.  I have faith that my essay is pretty persuasive, and the fact that I'm a male in this field (which is like 99% female) will at the very least help my application stand out.  Good luck everyone, and thanks for the help!

If anyone else is applying to MGH, I got an email about an online seminar about the SLP program. I think I can just forward it to anyone who hasn't gotten it and is interested in attending, so PM me if you want it!

Hahaha, well not exactly what I was looking to hear, but thank you for the info.  For a variety of reasons, I'm going to have to stay pretty local for grad school, so these were the best choices I could find for my situation.  
I've finished all my apps except for my statement of purpose for each school.  Just waiting on Long Beach to post the application materials.  I'm not stressing as hard as I was before.  The SLP I volunteer with wrote me an awesome LOR that she let me read, so that's given me a bit more confidence in my application.  

At this point, I've done all I can do.  My GPA and GRE scores are as good as they are going to be.  I have faith that my essay is pretty persuasive, and the fact that I'm a male in this field (which is like 99% female) will at the very least help my application stand out.  Good luck everyone, and thanks for the help!

Good luck!  

hey guys, 

what are your thoughts on the phd program at Harvard. i coudlnt find any information on it, so im very curious. they say the have no gpa cut off (yeah right) and they only got 25 applications last year...

just curious if anyone has heard anything on their admissions

9 minutes ago, OverCaffeinated said:

hey guys, 

what are your thoughts on the phd program at Harvard. i coudlnt find any information on it, so im very curious. they say the have no gpa cut off (yeah right) and they only got 25 applications last year...

just curious if anyone has heard anything on their admissions

I looked it up once haha! It seems very research oriented (moreso towards almost neuroscience). 

It's the SHBT program. Just google SHBT Harvard. 

17 hours ago, jmk said:

I looked it up once haha! It seems very research oriented (moreso towards almost neuroscience). 

It's the SHBT program. Just google SHBT Harvard. 

According to edfind, they're not accredited. 

12 hours ago, OverCaffeinated said:

theyre not accredited because they dont have a masters program its a phd with an slp track, after which you can get certified

Oh, interesting.  So, can you go straight in from undergrad?

Edited by eggfish

19 minutes ago, eggfish said:

Oh, interesting.  So, can you go straight in from undergrad?

according to them yes! which is interesting right? its a 6 year program and I actually stalked found someone whos in the program right now and she only has a BA in linguistics and she got in! mind you she had a 3.98 cGPA...