Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
ForensicPsych93

Fall 2017 Applications

179 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I know its super early but I figured starting a discussion on the next Psychology PhD cycle during Fall 2016. I will start applying to the programs during late August 2016. I'm really nervous but I rather work hard to enhance my overall CV and application.- I am currently working on a lot of research and I have 2 poster conferences coming up within a month. I will be doing my Masters thesis during the Fall. I graduated with a overall 3.0 (undergrad) - last two semesters were 3.7. I have internship experience working as a case manager for abused women. I worked with kids with autism and adhd. I have research experience from undergrad where i was third author and i mainly did data collection/entry. This summer I will do more research and be a counselor for a trauma center. My areas of interest are adolescence psychopathology and crime, drugs, etc. I'd love to study forensic psychology though because I also would like to study domestic violence amongst across cultures. I'm applying to Fairleigh dickinson, LIU POST/Brooklyn (both), Adelphi, John Jay, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Rutgers, Yeshiva & Hofstra. Its a long list also I'm taking the GRE in 2 months, My goal is to get a 155Q 160V- 5A. Any other tips besides looking for fit? What are my overall chances 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there, check out UMass Boston - there is a PI that has a concentration in forensic psych/neuropsych. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In September or so email POIs to see if they have funding or space to take a new student before spending all your time and money applying to every school you listed. I found some number of POIs whom I was interested in didn't have funding or space and that saved me a lot of extra work and money long term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

be aware yeshiva doesn't give any funding, if that's an issue for you. good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2016 at 10:53 AM, Emely Moreta said:

Hi All,

I know its super early but I figured starting a discussion on the next Psychology PhD cycle during Fall 2016. I will start applying to the programs during late August 2016. I'm really nervous but I rather work hard to enhance my overall CV and application.- I am currently working on a lot of research and I have 2 poster conferences coming up within a month. I will be doing my Masters thesis during the Fall. I graduated with a overall 3.0 (undergrad) - last two semesters were 3.7. I have internship experience working as a case manager for abused women. I worked with kids with autism and adhd. I have research experience from undergrad where i was third author and i mainly did data collection/entry. This summer I will do more research and be a counselor for a trauma center. My areas of interest are adolescence psychopathology and crime, drugs, etc. I'd love to study forensic psychology though because I also would like to study domestic violence amongst across cultures. I'm applying to Fairleigh dickinson, LIU POST/Brooklyn (both), Adelphi, John Jay, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Rutgers, Yeshiva & Hofstra. Its a long list also I'm taking the GRE in 2 months, My goal is to get a 155Q 160V- 5A. Any other tips besides looking for fit? What are my overall chances 

 

Hi :)

I am also applying for PhD Clinical Psychology in John Jay for Fall 2017. In addition, I also am considering their Criminal Justice Policy program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fordham has a forensic psych track. good luck :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 16, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Timemachines said:

Hey there, check out UMass Boston - there is a PI that has a concentration in forensic psych/neuropsych. 

Hi, Yes I checked it out and will definitely be applying there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, OnTheRoadToPhD said:

 

Hi :)

I am also applying for PhD Clinical Psychology in John Jay for Fall 2017. In addition, I also am considering their Criminal Justice Policy program.

Is john jay the only program you are applying to ? I live in NY and wanted to stay here but being a fit into these programs seems like a better idea, so my list of schools have definitely changed as of recently. But you should check Fairleigh Dickinson- they also have a Forensic track

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emely Moreta said:

Is john jay the only program you are applying to ? I live in NY and wanted to stay here but being a fit into these programs seems like a better idea, so my list of schools have definitely changed as of recently. But you should check Fairleigh Dickinson- they also have a Forensic track

Thanks! This might sound crazy but I only planned to apply to John Jay - I like their program and what they offer. Who knows, I have plenty of time for things to change.

I spoke to their Criminal Justice department, and they told me that they look above 50th percentile GRE score - I am not sure about the Clinical Psychology one.

I took a class with Princeton Review, and they told me that GREs are looked at more thoroughly if your undergrad/grad GPA does not look strong enough.

In terms of Personal Statement, I was told that they want you to emphasis above and beyond why you want their program - make them feel special :) I know you didnt ask but I thought I'd share from what I know/heard.

I am currently working on my Writing Sample, wondering if 8pp is enough :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2016 at 1:53 PM, Emely Moreta said:

Hi All,

I know its super early but I figured starting a discussion on the next Psychology PhD cycle during Fall 2016. I will start applying to the programs during late August 2016. I'm really nervous but I rather work hard to enhance my overall CV and application.- I am currently working on a lot of research and I have 2 poster conferences coming up within a month. I will be doing my Masters thesis during the Fall. I graduated with a overall 3.0 (undergrad) - last two semesters were 3.7. I have internship experience working as a case manager for abused women. I worked with kids with autism and adhd. I have research experience from undergrad where i was third author and i mainly did data collection/entry. This summer I will do more research and be a counselor for a trauma center. My areas of interest are adolescence psychopathology and crime, drugs, etc. I'd love to study forensic psychology though because I also would like to study domestic violence amongst across cultures. I'm applying to Fairleigh dickinson, LIU POST/Brooklyn (both), Adelphi, John Jay, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Rutgers, Yeshiva & Hofstra. Its a long list also I'm taking the GRE in 2 months, My goal is to get a 155Q 160V- 5A. Any other tips besides looking for fit? What are my overall chances 

I know it might be hard but you should try to aim for a higher quant score to be safe. I don't know about some of the other schools you named but Rutgers is very competitive for the clinical program and I have a few friends who go there. Quite a few people I know with excellent GPA, research experience, and stellar GRES (above 160 for both categories) couldn't get into the PHD and got into the PsyD program instead. GREs aren't that big of a deal but having one extra edge doesn't hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mylifeinshambles said:

...stellar GRES (above 160 for both categories) couldn't get into the PHD and got into the PsyD program instead. GREs aren't that big of a deal but having one extra edge doesn't hurt. 

They won't get you in but they can keep you out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with everyone above re: GREs. First of all, I am of the strong belief that the GRE only tests how good you are at the GRE/how much you prepared.

 

I personally think you should aim for perfect, not 155.

 

Obviously, GREs are not the most important (by any stretch), but you want to have as many reasons as possible they should take you. I would prepare a great deal, for a long time, and not half-ass the test. If you want some tips (I got 98 percentile on both verbal/writing, and 86 percentile on quant), PM me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mylifeinshambles said:

I know it might be hard but you should try to aim for a higher quant score to be safe. I don't know about some of the other schools you named but Rutgers is very competitive for the clinical program and I have a few friends who go there. Quite a few people I know with excellent GPA, research experience, and stellar GRES (above 160 for both categories) couldn't get into the PHD and got into the PsyD program instead. GREs aren't that big of a deal but having one extra edge doesn't hurt. 

I plan on taking the GRE's twice before my application cycle. And I'm interested in applying to both but I'm really looking into Professors of interest. My list of schools is longer but around August I will begin emailing faculty and seeing if they are accepting students for Fall 2017. Depending on what they say I will disqualify some schools or add others. I was told you can look damn near perfect on paper but if the program is big on mentors than they care more about you FIT into that program rather than your school records. I will have a lot of research and clinical experience, several poster presentations, and submission of publication, and awesome letters of recommendations. I am most definitely shooting for damn near perfect GRE's, and Im killing myself studying but those are the minimum scores I'm shooting for since a lot of students have gotten in with those particular GRE scores. If I get higher than what I'm shooting for than Awesome! Rutgers isn't a big important school for me, in fact I am probably not even going to apply but I figured I would since its close to home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OnTheRoadToPhD said:

Thanks! This might sound crazy but I only planned to apply to John Jay - I like their program and what they offer. Who knows, I have plenty of time for things to change.

I spoke to their Criminal Justice department, and they told me that they look above 50th percentile GRE score - I am not sure about the Clinical Psychology one.

I took a class with Princeton Review, and they told me that GREs are looked at more thoroughly if your undergrad/grad GPA does not look strong enough.

In terms of Personal Statement, I was told that they want you to emphasis above and beyond why you want their program - make them feel special :) I know you didnt ask but I thought I'd share from what I know/heard.

I am currently working on my Writing Sample, wondering if 8pp is enough :)

WOW, Thanks for the advice. I got an okay UG GPA at 3.5 but my last two semesters were extremely high. I also am getting my masters but I do want to really good in the GRE's considering I don't want it to be a reason I'm not accepted. I guess I have to start working on those things early- Goodluckk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be really stressed by my GRE scores ( all about 65th percentile) and undergrad GPA (3.2 in community college, finished at 3.5). When applying to programs I avoided ones that had cuts offs or "suggested" ("most applicants who were admitted had scores over", etc.) they had cut offs at the 75 percentile and up. In talking with profs during interviews and others in the field, I really learned that the GRE is more of a way to screen out apps since they get so many. In programs that do not have cut offs or suggested scores, you can be a few points below what their "average" is for admitted students. Once your around a decent number, GRE scores do not matter! NO program is going to interview you and then take another applicant because they scored higher on the GRE. In each program I applied to I had GRE scores below their "average admitted" data by 3-5 points, I was also admitted to 4/5 (all fully funded PhD programs, one in clinical, the one I did not get into was a Ivy League neuro program and it was because my lack of bio/chem lab experience). The previously successful applicants in the program I will be attending next year had an average verbal GRE score of 161-162, I scored a 155 verbal.  (My CV is not over the top with pubs either).

My point, hit the minimum to get your application reviewed, and not thrown to the side, and focus on the things that REALLY matter like your personal statement (this can overshadow almost any GRE or GPA, for good or bad), getting the most out of your research experience, etc.

 

Edited by Plasticity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I echo what Plasticity says. I received multiple invitations and acceptances this round and my GRE scores are less than stellar (162 Verbal and 150 Quant). Bolster your CV as much as you can, but don't spend time worrying about minute details. There were programs I didn't apply to because of cut offs, or tips from previous applicants warning me of algorithmic based application screens, but there are so many other factors that will make you a unique and competitive applicant! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2016 at 0:40 PM, Plasticity said:

I used to be really stressed by my GRE scores ( all about 65th percentile) and undergrad GPA (3.2 in community college, finished at 3.5). When applying to programs I avoided ones that had cuts offs or "suggested" ("most applicants who were admitted had scores over", etc.) they had cut offs at the 75 percentile and up. In talking with profs during interviews and others in the field, I really learned that the GRE is more of a way to screen out apps since they get so many. In programs that do not have cut offs or suggested scores, you can be a few points below what their "average" is for admitted students. Once your around a decent number, GRE scores do not matter! NO program is going to interview you and then take another applicant because they scored higher on the GRE. In each program I applied to I had GRE scores below their "average admitted" data by 3-5 points, I was also admitted to 4/5 (all fully funded PhD programs, one in clinical, the one I did not get into was a Ivy League neuro program and it was because my lack of bio/chem lab experience). The previously successful applicants in the program I will be attending next year had an average verbal GRE score of 161-162, I scored a 155 verbal.  (My CV is not over the top with pubs either).

My point, hit the minimum to get your application reviewed, and not thrown to the side, and focus on the things that REALLY matter like your personal statement (this can overshadow almost any GRE or GPA, for good or bad), getting the most out of your research experience, etc.

 

I couldn't agree more!! Well said!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking to apply to clinical phd programs for the fall 2017. I am currently working at a children's hospital as a clinical research assistant. I will be in my current position approximately 2 years by the time of application submission/possible interviews. 

My undergraduate gpa was 3.63 with a major in psychology and a minor in counseling and human services. I can't look up my major gpa, but it was a little higher than my overall gpa.

My gre scores aren't spectacular, but I have been told that gre scores aren't the most important aspect of my application. V = 147, Q = 150, Writing- 4.5
I could take the GRE again this summer, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

As of now, I have 5 conference presentations with a few more to come.

I will have at least 1 publication, and 2 more in the works by the time of application submission

I have worked as an RA for approximately 4 years (2 as an undergraduate and 2 as a clinical research assistant) all under relevant PI's (interested in pediatric psychology)

I also will have no problem getting 3 strong letters of recommendation.

 

Thoughts? Thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, nruppe said:

My gre scores aren't spectacular, but I have been told that gre scores aren't the most important aspect of my application. V = 147, Q = 150, Writing- 4.5

Your experience is outstanding and I imagine you are going to look very good on paper and be a competitive applicant. However, your Verbal score is pretty low. From my understanding, as you have said, GRE scores are not the most important aspect of your application, but if your scores stand out as being significantly low that's not a good thing.

I have seen people on this subforum give different advice as far as what people should aim for. Obviously, it's good to look at what previous students who have been accepted to the program got on the GRE. I have also heard people say that it is expected that everyone's Verbal score be relatively high and if it isn't that may reflect poorly on your application. Additionally, I have heard people say to overall aim for at least 310 combined Verbal and Quantitative or higher. Right now you are at 297. I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to take the GRE again, it's a pretty awful, time-consuming test to prepare for. For reference, my SO got a 163 on Verbal, and 148 on Quantitative. His Quant. was low but because his Verbal was over the 90% and combined his score was over 310 he decided not to retake it. He got into his top-choice program and was never questioned about his GRE by the school he was accepted to (he was only questioned about his Quant. score by one school during an interview). In the end, people will tell you different things, but it's really up to you whether you think it would be worth it to retake it :)

I will say that Clinical Psych programs are ridiculously competitive, so GRE scores may be more important than they are in my SO's field (Cognitive Neuroscience) Good luck! I definitely think you have a great looking application where you stand right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nruppe said:

I am looking to apply to clinical phd programs for the fall 2017. I am currently working at a children's hospital as a clinical research assistant. I will be in my current position approximately 2 years by the time of application submission/possible interviews. 

My undergraduate gpa was 3.63 with a major in psychology and a minor in counseling and human services. I can't look up my major gpa, but it was a little higher than my overall gpa.

My gre scores aren't spectacular, but I have been told that gre scores aren't the most important aspect of my application. V = 147, Q = 150, Writing- 4.5
I could take the GRE again this summer, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

As of now, I have 5 conference presentations with a few more to come.

I will have at least 1 publication, and 2 more in the works by the time of application submission

I have worked as an RA for approximately 4 years (2 as an undergraduate and 2 as a clinical research assistant) all under relevant PI's (interested in pediatric psychology)

I also will have no problem getting 3 strong letters of recommendation.

 

Thoughts? Thanks!

You're looking very competitive but I would retake the GRE to make sure your application gets the review it deserves. What programs are you thinking about applying to and how competitive are they? Do they have cut offs/suggested scores? 

 

Edited by Plasticity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Plasticity said:

You're looking very competitive but I would retake the GRE to make sure your application gets the review it deserves. What programs are you thinking about applying to and how competitive are they? Do they have cut offs/suggested scores? 

 

I have not begun to research programs. I know that I am definitely interested in the program at Drexel. I will be attending the SPP conference in the next month, and I hope to use this experience to begin to network with some future PI's for grad school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FeelTheBern said:

Your experience is outstanding and I imagine you are going to look very good on paper and be a competitive applicant. However, your Verbal score is pretty low. From my understanding, as you have said, GRE scores are not the most important aspect of your application, but if your scores stand out as being significantly low that's not a good thing.

I have seen people on this subforum give different advice as far as what people should aim for. Obviously, it's good to look at what previous students who have been accepted to the program got on the GRE. I have also heard people say that it is expected that everyone's Verbal score be relatively high and if it isn't that may reflect poorly on your application. Additionally, I have heard people say to overall aim for at least 310 combined Verbal and Quantitative or higher. Right now you are at 297. I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to take the GRE again, it's a pretty awful, time-consuming test to prepare for. For reference, my SO got a 163 on Verbal, and 148 on Quantitative. His Quant. was low but because his Verbal was over the 90% and combined his score was over 310 he decided not to retake it. He got into his top-choice program and was never questioned about his GRE by the school he was accepted to (he was only questioned about his Quant. score by one school during an interview). In the end, people will tell you different things, but it's really up to you whether you think it would be worth it to retake it :)

I will say that Clinical Psych programs are ridiculously competitive, so GRE scores may be more important than they are in my SO's field (Cognitive Neuroscience) Good luck! I definitely think you have a great looking application where you stand right now!

Thanks so much for your support and guidance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys.  I will be applying for fall 2017 and I am pretty nervous to say the least!  I don't think I have very stellar marks so I will most likely be focusing on applying to masters experimental psychology programs (research based).  Do you guys think I have a chance at masters programs?  I love psychology research but I discovered that I want to pursue grad school for psych pretty late.  I was pre-med in undergraduate so I have taken almost all of those hard science classes required for that.  I hope that doesn't look bad for adcoms.  Stats are a 3.52 GPA, 2 years research.  1 year of being a TA for 400 level psychology classes and 2.5 years of research (1 conference and 1 publication).  I also have two pretty good recommendations and I am trying to attain a good third one.  304 GRE. Do you guys think I would be competitive for masters programs or am I wasting my time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now