Abstaining from alcohol on interview weekend?

neuronfire94

I have a dental problem that requires a course of two antibiotics for the next five days. One of these antibiotics interacts severely with alcohol, so I can't drink for 48 hours after I finish it. I have my first grad school interviews next week, and the first night is a social event at a bar with current students and other applicants. Will I be judged for just drinking water? I realize that I may be over reacting but would like some input. 

7 minutes ago, neuronfire94 said:

I have a dental problem that requires a course of two antibiotics for the next five days. One of these antibiotics interacts severely with alcohol, so I can't drink for 48 hours after I finish it. I have my first grad school interviews next week, and the first night is a social event at a bar with current students and other applicants. Will I be judged for just drinking water? I realize that I may be over reacting but would like some input. 

No.

And if they ask (which why would they...?), you can just say that you had a surgery and need to take anti-biotics and hence cannot drink alcohol.

In reality, they are not going to judge you. Alcohol is offered as a courtesy and usually because it helps people be a little more relaxed socially. 

21 minutes ago, Stauce said:

I'd say if you explain that you are taking an antibiotic that interacts negatively with alcohol, you should be fine. If they judge you still and insist that you drink, it seems to me they've got some issues haha

16 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

No.

And if they ask (which why would they...?), you can just say that you had a surgery and need to take anti-biotics and hence cannot drink alcohol.

In reality, they are not going to judge you. Alcohol is offered as a courtesy and usually because it helps people be a little more relaxed socially. 

Thank you both! I Like the idea of saying that I had a surgery because the treatment is actually for a dental abscess, which I find too embarrassing to mention.  

15 minutes ago, kitcassidance said:

Soda water in a highball glass with a lime and a small straw is always a good alternative! 

This is actually perfect because I'm diabetic and didn't want to have soda or something sugary as an alternative. 

I won’t be drinking either - I have Invisalign so I can only drink water when I have it in, and don’t plan to have it out other than to eat because it becomes a hassle. I don’t think that anyone would mind (plus I’m not a drinker anyways).

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2018 at 11:34 AM, neuronfire94 said:

@neuronfire94I have a friend who makes up wild stories each time someone asks her about not drinking. Same party, ten different answers. May not play as well with Psychologists, but I've always liked her outlandish response to what is an insensitive question.