Yale MFA 2018

Sylvieee

Photo interview Wasn't too bad, no surprise questions, other than who do you think is making work about my subject matter (family) and getting it wrong? Was so prepared to talk about people I am drawing from that that thew me for a moment it did feel like a conversation where once we got through the obvious "why grad school what's your deal" sort of stuff, like their questions were just responses to things I said and not off a list 

9 minutes ago, rizbeff said:

Photo interview Wasn't too bad, no surprise questions, other than who do you think is making work about my subject matter (family) and getting it wrong? Was so prepared to talk about people I am drawing from that that thew me for a moment it did feel like a conversation where once we got through the obvious "why grad school what's your deal" sort of stuff, like their questions were just responses to things I said and not off a list 

Congrats that you done with the interview. I was just now outside the photography studio for about one second and I guess they were interview someone, might be you.:)

and guess will see you guys at the critique session!

15 minutes ago, rizbeff said:

Also I saw some people talking about a studio tour? I didn't hear anything about that, maybe not a photo thing?

No, not a photo tour, but a painting studio tour which we can also participate. And I’m looking at all these restaurants or cafes around. seems a lot of choices.

1 hour ago, bubumas said:

No, not a photo tour, but a painting studio tour which we can also participate. And I’m looking at all these restaurants or cafes around. seems a lot of choices.

Just sat down at mamoun's for a falafel if you'd like to join me!

On 01/03/2018 at 2:11 AM, Zander said:

How long were the interviews for painting folk?

My skype interview lasted around 25 mins for painting. The interview was horrible. It was like an attack after attack after attack- literally the whole interview was me trying to rebuff them and defend the work. Did anyone else experience this? I almost felt like why did they even pick to interview me.  :wacko:

Edited by bubblegumface

Same, I didn't even know why I was there. It was like if you guys don't like my work why pick me? I told them I really want to try something different in grad school, and they looked at my painting then looked at me, then LAUGHED

1 hour ago, Qiurui said:

Same, I didn't even know why I was there. It was like if you guys don't like my work why pick me? I told them I really want to try something different in grad school, and they looked at my painting then looked at me, then LAUGHED

That's awful. I didn't even get any chance to say what my work was about, or to ask them questions about the course. After attacking one minor aspect of one artwork for... literally the whole interview!.. they were like 'interesting convo, but someone is knocking on the door so we have to go, bye'. Wtf?! 

30 minutes ago, bubblegumface said:

That's awful. I didn't even get any chance to say what my work was about, or to ask them questions about the course. After attacking one minor aspect of one artwork for... literally the whole interview!.. they were like 'interesting convo, but someone is knocking on the door so we have to go, bye'. Wtf?! 

Ikr, but anyway, I'm over it. If I get in, good. If I'm not, it's okay, I won't be really mad. 

On 3/2/2018 at 10:20 AM, Qiurui said:

Just realized that might have been to see how you react under pressure ??‍♂️ Still kinda messed up though. 

23 hours ago, bubblegumface said:

Agh!!!!! What, so rushed! ?

Sorry this happened to both both of y'all ?

Edited by Mr.PoopyButtHole

@rebkhan I thought it went well. A little nervous during the presentation so it’s hard to tell how that went, not too bad though. but the interview portion felt solid. All questions were very related to the work, nothing I was uncomfortable answering. It became quite loose by the end and I felt more able to converse naturally. 

@rebkhan

I withdrew my application the day after my interview when I got to tour the VCU sculpture department and have breakfast with the chair. I  literally fell in love with the place and the students, it made me feel so welcomed, the knowledge that I would leave school debt free with the freedom to apply to prestigious residencies (many of which are also fully funded with a stipend) overseas to make up for having not gotten the stamp on my resume from either Yale or Columbia is great too.

Getting an MFA is becoming increasingly expensive, having a successful career isn’t all about having a degree from an Ivy League school, it also requires you to be financially savvy and to choose a place that will have you continue to make work upon graduating. What good is a prestigious degree if you have to take on a full time job you dislike to pay off the debt?

Good luck making your decisions y’all. If you’re not accepted, consider applying to CMU or VCU next year.

p.s. If you’ve also decided on a place, withdraw your application from the rest of the places you had applied to: it’s great to receive an acceptance letter, it feels good, but not at the expense of someone else out there receiving a notice of being waitlisted, they might choose elsewhere based on that due to deadlines. It sucks, don’t do it.

@rebkhan Wow, how astute and practical of a decision! Right now I feel like my emotions are getting the best of me with each email/acceptance, but good for you to be able to make such a decision. When you feel a program fits you, and you just know, that's all that really matters!

@Tomcat I felt I did as well as I could have done, that day, as myself. If I’m not up to Yale standards or they’re curating a specific group of incoming grads and I don’t fit, at least I won’t be kicking myself that I could have prepared more or something. I felt a good flow during the presentation and enjoyed the question and answer section. I left feeling positive but not sure if I convinced them completely that I would be a good fit. Who knows! We’ll see.