Yale MFA 2018

Sylvieee

9 hours ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

@Kkkkate @98Charleston Would y'all mind sharing some of the interview questions you were asked? Asking on behalf of all us newcomers. 

first they give you a plastic water bottle with Yale on the outside. Then they asked me to give them an introduction on me and my work. They asked who my favorite artists are and finally to critique my own work (definitely went too harsh on that). 

1 hour ago, Kkkkate said:

first they give you a plastic water bottle with Yale on the outside. Then they asked me to give them an introduction on me and my work. They asked who my favorite artists are and finally to critique my own work (definitely went too harsh on that). 

Ha, forgot about the Yale water. 

My interview was all small talk, nearly. I wasn't ready and super nervous. Where you are coming from, where in town you are staying, etc. Then they asked about influences, favorite movie. Whose work I was looking at around that time. They asked why Yale, and then why Yale should admit me. Then they asked if I had anything else to say. Then it ended.

This year I did not get an interview. I wish everyone traveling to New Haven the best of luck!  

Sometimes the students may deliver a critique or borderline underhanded line. Don't get distracted. Ive read in this forum that they do it to see how you react under pressure? Haha.

Edited by 98Charleston

@Kkkkate @98Charleston Wow thanks y'all reall helps a lot! I be that water had veritaserum(Harry potter reference) Sorry about the no interviews y'all :/ 

I feel as though I need to share my situation. I have been 4 years since I last applied to grad school. I think when I first applied I was overly eager, but I lacked preparation and discipline. I applied to only three schools and missed the Yale application deadline bc I forgot about time zones... I used the same statement for everyone and did not tailor my statement to each school nor do any research. I majorly screwed up tbh. I learned from that though. I waited and made more work and this time around I spent a lot of time researching schools, professors I would want to work with, and each schools pros and cons. I definitely took my apps more seriously too. Tailored statement to each school, had my work documented professionally, and still doing tons of reading and research. 

I also had rejections all around that last time I applied and to be honest it was a little soul crushing. But here is the thing, I picked myself up dusted myself off (after some tears and sadness) and went right back to it. That extra time really allowed me to mature and grow and really focus on what I wanted. 

It it has been a rollercoater y'all, but it actually worked out better for me when I got rejected all those years ago. It was definitely a slap on the face and a wake up call. I am glad it happened and if I am being completely honest, I would not have done it any other way. I learned a lot more from my failure than if I would have gone to grad school at the time. I also did some soul searching back then and realized I was not ready. This time around I have a chance to make things count and I am going to do my best. That's all I can do. Thats all any of us can do right, do our best.

Edited by Mr.PoopyButtHole

Congrats to everyone who got interviews, and sending encouragement and support to those who didn't this time, it's definitely not the be all end all of anything. I'd love to hear if anyone has any previous knowledge or experience regarding the ratio of portfolio vs. new work brought to the interview for photo? With the reputation of being so output/production focused I could see it being a benefit to have significant portion of new work, but like someone else previously mentioned I submitted work from up to late December and don't have a ton of new work from between now and then and feeling nervous. Also does anyone know if you're putting up prints on the wall or passing them around? wondering what size prints I should be considering.

First time poster here, I’d really appreciate any help/ tips anybody has:

I have an interview with the sculpture department and was also wondering what the deal with bringing new or supplementary work is.. I’ve been working on other apps this past month and while I’ve still got a bit of time to make sculptures I’ve been mostly reading and drawing, kind of giving myself space from my last push of sculpture work and trying to generate new content. Just wondering if they expect you to show up with new/supplementary work to your portfolio or if you can just focus your presentation on talking about the slides submitted in your app?? Thanks

1 hour ago, Zander said:

Standing in solidarity with all of the folks who've been invited to interview at Yale but finding it difficult to afford the trip. You are not alone!  

Same... I am on the west coast and I don’t even want to know how much it would cost to ship my work to and from Yale. I am talking to some shippers today to get some quotes. Hopefully I won’t have to sell an arm or a leg ?

@Gimly I’m also being interviewed for the sculpture department. Do whatever comes naturally to you, if that happens to be casual drawings then so be it, if you’re a good fit they will accept you, y’know?

I’m personally not sending in images of any additional work. My portfolio is enough.

@gimly @shypup Is it appropriate to ask advice or see a portfolio, later in the year, after hopeful you would be accepted fully? I didn’t get in but I learned a lot form the experience and what I need to improve. I do have a lot to improve how I went about it. Nevertheless, I still obsess over it a lot. I guess it is normal. I still hope to get in one day.

Hey guys! I got my Yale rejection and had to spend the weekend moving (LOL FUN TIMES) so I didn't have the chance to say congrats to everyone who got an interview!! Best of luck and for all of us who got rejected, we'll keep chugging along! I'll be applying next year for sure so if anyone wants to send along their website and post about how your interview goes, that would be greatly appreciated :) 

3 hours ago, jailcowboy said:

Is it true that Yale wants all new work, meaning work made since you submitted the application?

Yale mentions nothing in regards to the "kinds" of work one should bring in the letter. Folks who interviewed at Yale before what did you bring or see others bring? Did anyone hear anything from Yale about interview work expectation for painting during the open house? I'm personally thinking about what's going to be economically feasible, so smaller works nothing over 30 inches that can't be rolled. Majority of what I'll be bringing will be a surprise and didn't include in my application. Hoping they'll have a projector in the room to project a few videos.

9 hours ago, Zander said:

Yale mentions nothing in regards to the "kinds" of work one should bring in the letter. Folks who interviewed at Yale before what did you bring or see others bring? Did anyone hear anything from Yale about interview work expectation for painting during the open house? I'm personally thinking about what's going to be economically feasible, so smaller works nothing over 30 inches that can't be rolled. Majority of what I'll be bringing will be a surprise and didn't include in my application. Hoping they'll have a projector in the room to project a few videos.

I really love your paintings! And I was curious about your video works, it is hard to imagine for me. I just hope you can show some videos in your website, too.

Thank you! And It's more like video documentation for some of the larger newer sculptural paintings since I'm unable to bring them in person. 

8 hours ago, bubumas said:

I really love your paintings! And I was curious about your video works, it is hard to imagine for me. I just hope you can show some videos in your website, too.

On 2/3/2018 at 9:21 AM, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

@Kkkkate @98Charleston Wow thanks y'all reall helps a lot! I be that water had veritaserum(Harry potter reference) Sorry about the no interviews y'all :/ 

I feel as though I need to share my situation. ...

That is a lot of great advice and a, um,  great username, Mr, PoopyButtHole!

First time poster, I just got my "no interview" from Yale last Friday ... I wish I would have known about this forum sooner! There is a lot of great advice here that I could have used! It sounds like a few of the things that I left on the editing room floor when cutting my statement down were exactly the types of things I should have found a way to include. Good info for next year!

Congrats to everyone who got interviews and good luck everyone! 

6 hours ago, Zander said:

Thank you! And It's more like video documentation for some of the larger newer sculptural paintings since I'm unable to bring them in person. 

That's a good idea. Your things got very strong part of materiality. I love your work and your statement in your website, and your poetry, too. Wish you good luck with Yale! 

On 2/6/2018 at 12:59 AM, Zander said:

Standing in solidarity with all of the folks who've been invited to interview at Yale but finding it difficult to afford the trip. You are not alone!  

I heard that the cheapest hotel nearby campus will be 100+ bucks per day

1 hour ago, bubumas said:

I heard that the cheapest hotel nearby campus will be 100+ bucks per day

Just booked an Airbnb for $57 and it is a 25 min. walk to campus. Saw some cheaper listings, but were much further from the university. Didn't want to add an uber or lyft to the price tag. Trying to save as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

Just booked an Airbnb for $57 and it is a 25 min. walk to campus. Saw some cheaper listings, but were much further from the university. Didn't want to add an uber or lyft to the price tag. Trying to save as much as possible. 

Thanks for the info. Airbnb is a good choice. I will look it up.