2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

46 minutes ago, elviejo said:

Received a formal rejection from U of Arizona this morning. Still waiting to hear from CU-Boulder and UT-Austin.

Sorry to hear that. I have not yet heard anything from them. Perhaps they are just going through them one by one. I know better than to assume that I’m safe just because I haven’t heard anything yet. Sometimes they process rejections slowly. I also haven’t heard from UT-Austin. If history is any guide, they should be sending out rejections soon and then operating on one transparent waitlist and one hidden waitlist. Good times.

Edited by machineghost

Interesting rejection notice from Arizona. "Despite your excellent qualifications, the Graduate Admissions Committee has determined that they are not likely to extend an offer to you..." Not likely? Does that mean there's still a very small sliver of hope? Haha.

Waitlisted at Virginia as well. 

1 hour ago, dormouse said:

Interesting rejection notice from Arizona. "Despite your excellent qualifications, the Graduate Admissions Committee has determined that they are not likely to extend an offer to you..." Not likely? Does that mean there's still a very small sliver of hope? Haha.

Perhaps they are also using a pool, but they understand that we're trying to make decisions and that it's very unlikely any one of us will be chosen so we're better off thinking of Arizona as a rejection.

2 hours ago, dormouse said:

Waitlisted at Virginia as well. 

Same wording in my email. 

1 hour ago, PhiloStorian said:

Perhaps they are also using a pool, but they understand that we're trying to make decisions and that it's very unlikely any one of us will be chosen so we're better off thinking of Arizona as a rejection.

That was my thinking as well. 

So just to clarify, nobody has successfully solicited a rejection from UT Austin yet, right? I think that I've decided to accept one of my offers, but I don't want to commit until I've heard something definite from Austin.

52 minutes ago, Stencil said:

So just to clarify, nobody has successfully solicited a rejection from UT Austin yet, right? I think that I've decided to accept one of my offers, but I don't want to commit until I've heard something definite from Austin.

I solicited a status update, is that the same thing? I was told I am on an informal waitlist.

2 hours ago, elviejo said:

I solicited a status update, is that the same thing? I was told I am on an informal waitlist.

Oh okay, I didn't realize that they sent out solicited responses at all. It didn't seem like anyone had had any luck with that, so I didn't even bother trying to contact them. If you don't mind me asking, who did you solicit the status update from? I might give that a shot if I haven't heard anything from them in a few days.

2 hours ago, Stencil said:

Oh okay, I didn't realize that they sent out solicited responses at all. It didn't seem like anyone had had any luck with that, so I didn't even bother trying to contact them. If you don't mind me asking, who did you solicit the status update from? I might give that a shot if I haven't heard anything from them in a few days.

I called the philosophy office and they transferred me to someone on the staff who works with the graduate coordinator. She said that they had already sent out offers and if I had not received anything official then I was on an "informal waitlist." Sorry if that contradicts something you've experienced or what you have heard from others. The reason why I called was because my status has not changed from "In Review" to "Rejected" or "Accepted." I am not claiming that is how they normally do business. I could have easily caught them off guard since I went old-school and used a telephone.

Edited by elviejo

On 3/26/2018 at 11:50 AM, PhiloStorian said:

I've been absent from the site due to a combination of being busy and intentionally avoiding it (I've come to believe this is an unhealthy thing for me to do, at least too frequently). I figured for accuracy's sake and for other people I should share an update on my admissions decisions.

I've been accepted to VA Tech and SF State, the former with a TAship and the latter with a teaching associateship. I expect I will decline both this week but I'm not 100% sure.

I've been waitlisted at CU Boulder, University of Virginia, UConn, Michigan State, and University of Houston.

I was also chosen by UW-Milwaukee to receive the AOP Fellowship; before I had merely been nominated by the department and it wasn't a sure thing.

I plan to decline/take myself off of waitlists for all but a few of these by the end of the month. I apologize to people who are desperately waiting to hear back from them.

I noticed you're holding onto U Maryland. Are you still considering that to be a competitor with the two strong M.A. programs? Are there any waitlisted Ph.D. programs - if admitted - that you would immediately accept? (I'm not actually in the running for any of those, just curious)