2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

All right friends, a little panicky. One of my waitlist institutions offered to Skype with me. Regardless of my chances, which are the customary 'non-zero', it seems to me that it would basically be stupid of me to not take up the offer to chat... but I don't really have any questions about the program at this late stage. So, what should I do to not make a complete fool of myself? Should I even go ahead with a Skype meeting? Any advice would be much appreciated. :wacko:

7 minutes ago, Kantattheairport said:

All right friends, a little panicky. One of my waitlist institutions offered to Skype with me. Regardless of my chances, which are the customary 'non-zero', it seems to me that it would basically be stupid of me to not take up the offer to chat... but I don't really have any questions about the program at this late stage. So, what should I do to not make a complete fool of myself? Should I even go ahead with a Skype meeting? Any advice would be much appreciated. :wacko:

Absolutely go ahead with it. Even if you can ask only completely generic questions, take it. Can't hurt. Your not taking it will hurt your chances for sure.

Edited by quinessloopypun

8 minutes ago, Kantattheairport said:

Think of it this way: if you do poorly, you'll end up in the same position you are now -- no offer. If you do well, you could get an offer. There's really no downside.

Edited by Theodore8

1 hour ago, Kantattheairport said:

What everyone else said, absolutely do the meeting. It's so much better than excessively formal emails. But you can turn generic questions into more thoughtful ones. I had a skype interview a while back and instead of just asking something like "what is the funding package like for a TA?" I asked about the sort of teaching opportunities available as a TA (are they only intro courses, am I just an assistant or do I teach entirely on my own, if I teach entirely on my own how much freedom do I have w/r/t to syllabus creation). Things like that. You can also just ask for clarification/more detail about the program. Asking about relations in the department (how easy it is to meet with professors, do grad students spend a lot of time together in the office, etc.) is another good thing to ask so you know what it's like in the informal settings.

Edited by Halcyon23

35 minutes ago, soproperlybasic said:

I've been told that I'm still under consideration at UNC! I emailed/called to solicit. Fingers crossed...I'm praying this works out at the eleventh hour as UNC was one of my top choice schools and it would be a miracle...

Nice!!! I really hope for an answer soon from them, as I'm holding off accepting an offer until I hear from them.

17 hours ago, MtnDuck said:

By UW I take it you mean UW Seattle based on your post history?

If so, I've accepted there and I know of one other person as well. What are your areas if you don't mind me asking?

Yup, I do mean Seattle.  My AOI's are Egalitarianism, Structural Oppression, and Philosophy of Language as it relates to politics, oppression, and power.  What are your's? 

1 hour ago, artshop said:

Yup, I do mean Seattle.  My AOI's are Egalitarianism, Structural Oppression, and Philosophy of Language as it relates to politics, oppression, and power.  What are your's? 

Fabulous, thanks for sharing! Historically I've been interested in food ethics (mostly pet food tbh), epistemic injustice at the intersection of feminism/bioethics/Phil race, and philosophy of liberation (social movements, solidarity, respect for alterity).

Earlier this afternoon I received word from CU-Boulder that they "just completed a revised partial ordering of [their] small waiting list for [their] PhD program" and that I was not included on it. Best of luck to everyone else, I hope you receive the news you want during the next couple of days!

Just got a rejection from riverside out of nowhere. It was expected given I could not get info from them after their initial round of acceptances. Oh well.

Edited by Halcyon23
Missing word