Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

I wonder...

So according to one person here they have 30 days to make a decision of attend or not attend. I wonder if the 30 day deadline for those folks will start the next round of admitting folks? I don't want to think we are the leftovers, but maybe its a case of they want the top folks/people who applied super early to get first dibs before they start rolling admissions?

6 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I wonder...

So according to one person here they have 30 days to make a decision of attend or not attend. I wonder if the 30 day deadline for those folks will start the next round of admitting folks? I don't want to think we are the leftovers, but maybe its a case of they want the top folks/people who applied super early to get first dibs before they start rolling admissions?

I was thinking that, but that would mean the earliest people who were accepted would have to reply by March 15th, which seems pretty late to release the next set of decisions? 

5 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

I was thinking that, but that would mean the earliest people who were accepted would have to reply by March 15th, which seems pretty late to release the next set of decisions? 

I mean the staff did say the first few weeks of March. If we don't count this week, then that would be two weeks from now. Plus if we look at the 2017 thread, a surge of people got their admission notices in February. We haven't seen that surge yet so maybe that will happen soon? I don't know, just staying positive :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Sunset95 said:

I've been stalking this thread for awhile now trying to see what's going on and finally decided to join in lol. Has anyone heard any more updates? I emailed them last week and they said the first few weeks of March but I'm not understanding how some people heard back weeks ago and the rest of us keep getting the runaround. It's so frustrating!!

I'm feeling the exact same way. I already sent my deposit into Rutgers but I just want to hear if I got accepted into Columbia! The wait is ridiculous 

39 minutes ago, lanabeni said:

I mean the staff did say the first few weeks of March. If we don't count this week, then that would be two weeks from now. Plus if we look at the 2017 thread, a surge of people got their admission notices in February. We haven't seen that surge yet so maybe that will happen soon? I don't know, just staying positive :ph34r:

I keep trying to make sense of it too, but I think that this year they were hit with a lot more applications than they maybe expected, so I don't think they really have a method to the madness in terms of waiting/releasing other acceptances...just gotta be patient...as much as we possibly can at this point.

4 minutes ago, Kathryn1994 said:

I'm feeling the exact same way. I already sent my deposit into Rutgers but I just want to hear if I got accepted into Columbia! The wait is ridiculous 

It’s definitely hard knowing other people have already been accepted! ? just let us knowwww

7 minutes ago, Kathryn1994 said:

If you send in a deposit, are you able to withdraw easily or is it a whole process? (I know you won't get the deposit back, I just hate asking for additional extensions on top of the first ones while waiting on these schools to get their ish together)

5 minutes ago, MSW_bound2018 said:

If you send in a deposit, are you able to withdraw easily or is it a whole process? (I know you won't get the deposit back, I just hate asking for additional extensions on top of the first ones while waiting on these schools to get their ish together)

For Rutgers? I'm not entirely sure. The only thing I know about that they do is the one year deferment thing in case you can't start that year. I forget how much of a deposit it is but I saw that on their website and in emails! They basically hold your spot in the program until the next year

10 minutes ago, MSW_bound2018 said:

It is probably as easy as calling and saying you won't be attending and they keep your money.

the acceptance letters require us to commit to attending within 30 days of the date printed on the acceptance - i was feb 15th so i need to let them know by march 15th. i just emailed today to ask about merit scholarship offers but it's highly unlikely i'll be accepting my spot (most likely headed to Georgetown Law for a JD) so i will be throwing another acceptance back in the pool and hope it goes to one of ya'll who are anxiously waiting still!!

4 hours ago, Kathryn1994 said:

I heard back from NYU in December and already had to ask for 2 extensions and UPenn gave me until March 15 and I reallyyyyy don't want to ask them for an extension as well. Columbia is my top choice but this wait is ridiculous?

1 hour ago, stheart said:

You guys are the most anxious, vocal, and persistent bunch out of all the school threads I've read lol

To be fair, looking at your sig, you've heard back from every school minus Columbia right?

It looks like most people have too. Will be interesting to see when/how it happens :)

21 minutes ago, MSW_bound2018 said:

I got the email a few hours ago!! WOOOHOOO!

That’s so exciting Congrats!! Fingeres crossed they keep sending out those emails tomorrow and next week!! 

31 minutes ago, JonoDuncan said:

I just received the "application complete" email! After three months lol.

Means something is coming soon! 

29 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I just received it as well. So odd. lol

Man, I feel bad for you guys. I got it on February 22nd... exactly a week after I completed my application. If there's any justice in the world, you'll hear back first!

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Man, I feel bad for you guys. I got it on February 22nd... exactly a week after I completed my application. If there's any justice in the world, you'll hear back first!

It is just super weird. I am 95% sure I am not attending Columbia anyways, but would be nice to know if I got in. lol

4 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

It is just super weird. I am 95% sure I am not attending Columbia anyways, but would be nice to know if I got in. lol

Yeah, I hear you. It sucks that they've kept you waiting this long.

I applied December 1 and didn’t receive the “application complete” email until January 5th, and it was a couple hours after I called them to confirm that All my materials were submitted.  

4 minutes ago, lost686girl said:

I applied December 1 and didn’t receive the “application complete” email until January 5th, and it was a couple hours after I called them to confirm that All my materials were submitted.  

Oh yeah, that could be why I received mine so early - I called them on the 19th, I think, to make sure they had everything.