2018 Admissions, decisions, interviews, and the like

Manuscriptess

2 hours ago, praxis34 said:

Anyone heard from Harvard History? I was expecting to hear something on Friday given the last year's entries but didn't see any posts in the survey or elsewhere. 

I haven't heard back either way either. It seems like both acceptances and rejections were already out by now last year. 

I am a bit concerned about Harvard to be honest... my girlfriend got an acceptance for Harvard's art history program on the 2nd, and if it were not for her post there would be no acceptances in the results board ofgrad cafe. Perhaps none of us got in, and that is why we have not heard back, because rejections take a bit longer than acceptances? :(

Edited by Imenol

I'm also confused about Harvard... I know someone else who got in to the PhD program in Art History, to which I also applied, and she just got a phonecall from her POI. So maybe certain POIs are just lazy and leaving it for the official announcement. 

Or we are all just rejected! Typical Harvard, thinking they're better than us :P

43 minutes ago, Imenol said:

Perhaps none of us got in, and that is why we have not heard back, because rejections take a bit longer than acceptances? :(

I tried not to count it as a possibility but a fair point though! :) Actually my POI early in January sent me an email and told nice things about my application and promised to be in touch in the following weeks. I didn't want to bother him after our correspondences but I still think that he would write me back even I am not extended an offer. 

31 minutes ago, BuckinghamRabbit said:

@lordtiandao Let's assume they haven't sent everything out yet... Only four people posted acceptances to Chicago and I can't imagine that only four out of fifteen (or however many Chicago is taking this year) would report to Grad Cafe.

I’m thinking the same thing about Berkeley.

1 hour ago, BuckinghamRabbit said:

@lordtiandao Let's assume they haven't sent everything out yet... Only four people posted acceptances to Chicago and I can't imagine that only four out of fifteen (or however many Chicago is taking this year) would report to Grad Cafe.

I don't mean to alarm you but not all applicants visit this website.  The GC is a small enclave in a bigger academic planet.  Hang tight and think good thoughts until you actually hear something.  

Just received my first decision--accepted at UC Santa Cruz with nomination for a fellowship! Area is Atlantic World--no word from the other UC's I applied to yet--if anyone else is going to the recruitment events in April, send me a message! Good luck to everyone waiting for news today! 

6 hours ago, ltr317 said:

I don't mean to alarm you but not all applicants visit this website.  The GC is a small enclave in a bigger academic planet.  Hang tight and think good thoughts until you actually hear something.  

Yeah, 4-5 reported acceptances out of 20 is very much within the realm of plausibility. I wouldn't take this number as evidence there are more acceptances to come.

30 minutes ago, L13 said:

Yeah, 4-5 reported acceptances out of 20 is very much within the realm of plausibility. I wouldn't take this number as evidence there are more acceptances to come.

Very true - still, the acceptance posts for Chicago thus far have been exclusively East Asian and Early Modern Europe. It doesn't look like any other fields have posted, and Chicago consistently staggers admissions. 

With that being said, @ltr317's point (and yours) t is still very well taken.

51 minutes ago, L13 said:

I was trying to provide encouragement from a glass-half-full perspective.  We're all in the same boat and facing the same stress.  You project what you want but there was nothing in my words about evidence.  All I implied was that it's not over until it's over. 

34 minutes ago, Account6567 said:

For the people under results who got accepted/rejected from Columbia, did the status change from "submitted" in the portal?

Text appears above checklist that states "  Status Update"  and then below it 

"An update to your application was last posted February 6, 2018."
Then the option to click "View Update" to see the decision letter.