Hello, I was wondering if you knew anyone or have any personal insight on any of these grad schools (Temple, La Salle, West Chester, Montclair, Seton Hall)? I know it's a long shot, but thought I'd give it a shot anyways!

I'm actually waiting to hear the decision from Governors State University! Is that where you're currently attending? If so, how do you like the program? How do you like the professors? I interviewed at this school and liked the setup, but a bit worried because it seemed like the area was lacking places to find jobs/things to do. Obviously Chicago is super close, but I'm worried about having nothing to do on weekends lol. I have been accepted at Saint Xavier, so I'm considering that program as well. Have you heard anything about that specific program? If so, how do you feel it related/differs from GSU? Sorry for all of the questions! But making a decision will be hard and I want to make an informed decision :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 7:50 PM, Marx333 said:

Hello, I was wondering if you knew anyone or have any personal insight on any of these grad schools (Temple, La Salle, West Chester, Montclair, Seton Hall)? I know it's a long shot, but thought I'd give it a shot anyways!

I applied to La Salle two years ago and West Chester a year ago. Neither program I got into but I've heard that La Salle is competitive to get into but also heard its a great program. I'm sorry I don't know much about the programs! But your stats look great to me! Your gpa was higher than mine that's for sure! Looks like you were accepted congrats! :) I'm sorry if that wasn't super helpful!

On 3/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, Felice said:

Hi!

Did you e-mail any of your wait listed schools and ask them your position on the wait list and to express your interest again? Thanks! 

I personally didn't because I didn't want to annoy the school and bother them, however I know that certain programs would update me and tell me that I was still included in the waitlist process so that was helpful! I know a lot of schools will specifically state that they will not tell you your position on the waitlist so be careful. 

On 3/6/2018 at 10:56 PM, speechpathy said:

I'm actually waiting to hear the decision from Governors State University! Is that where you're currently attending? If so, how do you like the program? How do you like the professors? I interviewed at this school and liked the setup, but a bit worried because it seemed like the area was lacking places to find jobs/things to do. Obviously Chicago is super close, but I'm worried about having nothing to do on weekends lol. I have been accepted at Saint Xavier, so I'm considering that program as well. Have you heard anything about that specific program? If so, how do you feel it related/differs from GSU? Sorry for all of the questions! But making a decision will be hard and I want to make an informed decision :) 

Yay that's awesome!! I"m a current 1st year at Governors so feel free to ask questions! I really like the program so far! I like how I can first focus on my classes and then work on practicum later. I had two years off between undergrad and graduate school so for me it was a nice transition back to school! I like my professors! We have a nice diverse staff which is cool to me and the professors have lots of life experience and know what they're talking about. I like too how they tell it like it is and tell you real life scenarios of what will go on in the field. I can understand your concern, I mean I won't lie University Park is a small town definitely but at the same time I like that because I don't have the distractions around me so I can focus on my work. Plus there are other towns nearby like Tinley Park, Matteson, Crete and others that aren't far so you can have stuff to do. I have only been to Chicago three times but its easy to get to for something to do as well! I mostly do a lot of my homework on the weekends because I work during the week so many of my weekends aren't free, but I still manage to find something fun to do when I am free. I work on campus and for me so that's an option to consider too. I know that we also have a job fair that runs of jobs available on campus and in the surrounding area so that could be something you can look into. :) I can't speak for Saint Xavier because I didn't apply to that program so sorry I can't answer that question! But I hope I helped answer about Governors :) I really like it here and feel this school was the right decision for me. I feel like I can have a life and also work and take care of my studies. If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask. 

Edited by AlwaysaFalcon

On 3/7/2018 at 9:54 AM, SLPLiz said:

@AlwaysaFalcon How did you pick which program to attend? I've been accepted to a few different schools and there's things I like about all of them. I'm a little overwhelmed.

Personally I had it down between my current school and another school. To be honest it came down to money and the fact that my school I attended was an accredited school instead of a candidate. Since I was going to be taking out loans in my name to pay for school, I felt like I needed to be financially responsible when making a decision. My school I'm at now and the other was a difference of $25,000 not including living costs. I felt this was enough of a difference where I needed to go with the cheaper one. However, I don't think you can go wrong with a school you choose. I personally don't plan on obtaining a PHD so for me research doesn't matter as much to consider that in my decision. I think you should make a pro and con list and decide what matters more. I know that's cheesy but I think it really helps! Hope that was helpful :)

I’ve been waitlisted at two schools so far (one being my top choice) and the waiting is killing me! I have a few schools to hear back from but do you have any advice on how to deal with being waitlisted?! Were you accepted off of the waitlist of the current school you’re attending (or any of your classmates) or accepted outright? 

Just hoping I still have a chance! Neither school gave me a “ranking”. I believe they are both just general waitlist pools. I see from the poster above you don’t recommend sending anything supplemental, right? 

Any guidance is much appreciated! :) 

Financially speaking, FAFSA only gives a certain amount and since you basically can’t or shouldn’t work more than a few hours a week, does this mean I have to take out loans to cover my entire cost of living in addition to tuition?! I’m really overwhelmed at the thought, but I know that I’m investing in myself. 

On 3/16/2018 at 8:38 PM, TurboDog15 said:

I’ve been waitlisted at two schools so far (one being my top choice) and the waiting is killing me! I have a few schools to hear back from but do you have any advice on how to deal with being waitlisted?! Were you accepted off of the waitlist of the current school you’re attending (or any of your classmates) or accepted outright? 

Just hoping I still have a chance! Neither school gave me a “ranking”. I believe they are both just general waitlist pools. I see from the poster above you don’t recommend sending anything supplemental, right? 

Any guidance is much appreciated! :) 

I was accepted off of a waitlist in July for another school. Since it was such a late acceptance off of the waitlist I had already made a decision at another school, my current school and went there. The waiting game is definitely hard. Especially when you see other people posting their results on sites like this and you start to question your own ability. I know I did that. But honestly, as cheesy as it sounds you end up where you are meant to go and everything works itself out. I know that I was checking my mail and emails like a made person. So my biggest advice would be to distract yourself from constantly worrying about results. The decision is out of your hands at this point and worrying won't change anything. It also depends on the people that are accepted how quickly they get back to the school to accept a decision or not. This factor will effect how quickly people get off the waitlist unfortunately. Remember you only need one school! :) 

17 hours ago, Farmcat1 said:

Financially speaking, FAFSA only gives a certain amount and since you basically can’t or shouldn’t work more than a few hours a week, does this mean I have to take out loans to cover my entire cost of living in addition to tuition?! I’m really overwhelmed at the thought, but I know that I’m investing in myself. 

What I had to do was apply with FAFSA for loans and then my living cost I covered with a loan from Sallie Mae. I'm hoping after this semester when I put in my residency application I can apply as an instate resident and then my tuition will be cheaper and I won't need to apply for another loan for Sallie Mae for next year. I work 15hours a week on campus to cover my groceries, and utilities for my apartment. Most of my classmates work and right now with my school work its pretty manageable. Once I am in practicum I won't be able to but for now it works. For me I have the mind set that I'm doing what I can to make it work. It's definitely overwhelming to take out more loans, other than that you could try and apply as a graduate assistantship. My friend does that and she has 9 credit hours covered plus a $400 stipend a month. 

7 hours ago, AlwaysaFalcon said:

I was accepted off of a waitlist in July for another school. Since it was such a late acceptance off of the waitlist I had already made a decision at another school, my current school and went there. The waiting game is definitely hard. Especially when you see other people posting their results on sites like this and you start to question your own ability. I know I did that. But honestly, as cheesy as it sounds you end up where you are meant to go and everything works itself out. I know that I was checking my mail and emails like a made person. So my biggest advice would be to distract yourself from constantly worrying about results. The decision is out of your hands at this point and worrying won't change anything. It also depends on the people that are accepted how quickly they get back to the school to accept a decision or not. This factor will effect how quickly people get off the waitlist unfortunately. Remember you only need one school! :) 

Thank you for the positive encouragement!! So helpful :) 

• 1 month later...

I have a question! Do you use a computer at school frequently for non-notetaking tasks? I prefer handwriting my notes, but am wondering if I will find that I need a laptop with me at school for other tasks. While I obviously used my laptop a lot during my post-bacc, I never felt like I needed to actually bring it to school. I'm wondering if I should invest in a newer, light computer for grad school. Thanks for any advice! 

3 hours ago, EatSleepStudy said:

I have a question! Do you use a computer at school frequently for non-notetaking tasks? I prefer handwriting my notes, but am wondering if I will find that I need a laptop with me at school for other tasks. While I obviously used my laptop a lot during my post-bacc, I never felt like I needed to actually bring it to school. I'm wondering if I should invest in a newer, light computer for grad school. Thanks for any advice! 

So it depends on the professor if they allow a laptop in the class first of all. I had one professor that didn't allow laptops in class because people would goof off. Last semester I would try and print out the slides and then write on the slides the notes. I feel like I remembered the material better when I wrote it out. This semester though just for convenience sake I've brought my laptop to class because I can type faster than I can write and I found I didn't have time to print out the notes beforehand haha. I've seen my classmates do both though. I use my laptop a lot for papers & google docs for group projects and such. 

On 3/17/2018 at 10:15 PM, Farmcat1 said:

I just got my financial aid award and was very disappointed with my work-study allotment - only $900 a semester. I thought about trying to get an off-campus job that is flexible enough for my schedule and won't make me a burnt-out zombie, but I realized that with the amount I'll be realistically be able to work I might as well just say screw it, take out extra loans, not have to work and be a much happier, healthier, well-rested person. I've been working 50-60 hours a week and doing school for the last four years, and working full time for the last 6 years before that. Being able to actually put all of my efforts into school, have two days off a week, and experience a break longer than five days sounds like sheer bliss. I'll have so much debt already that I might as well toss on some more!

On 3/6/2018 at 5:14 PM, Felice said:

Hi!

Did you e-mail any of your wait listed schools and ask them your position on the wait list and to express your interest again? Thanks! 

Hey! I'm not a grad student yet (will be starting this fall!) but I was waitlisted to my number one school so I sent them a letter of interest telling them how/why they were my number one and that I would accept if admitted. I also asked where I was on the waitlist and they told me (not sure if most schools do but I know some do. I ended up getting in :) good luck with everything!

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, bibliophile222 said:

I just got my financial aid award and was very disappointed with my work-study allotment - only $900 a semester. I thought about trying to get an off-campus job that is flexible enough for my schedule and won't make me a burnt-out zombie, but I realized that with the amount I'll be realistically be able to work I might as well just say screw it, take out extra loans, not have to work and be a much happier, healthier, well-rested person. I've been working 50-60 hours a week and doing school for the last four years, and working full time for the last 6 years before that. Being able to actually put all of my efforts into school, have two days off a week, and experience a break longer than five days sounds like sheer bliss. I'll have so much debt already that I might as well toss on some more!

That's crazy that's all you were allowed! I'm sorry about that but I would've done the same thing if I didn't find a job. Just took out more loans to cover the cost so I totally get it. Mental health in grad school is important too!

On 4/26/2018 at 8:55 PM, CAgirl13 said:

Hey! I'm not a grad student yet (will be starting this fall!) but I was waitlisted to my number one school so I sent them a letter of interest telling them how/why they were my number one and that I would accept if admitted. I also asked where I was on the waitlist and they told me (not sure if most schools do but I know some do. I ended up getting in :) good luck with everything!

Well thank you :) I decided to send them an e-mail in the end and I was accepted to my dream school :) . Glad it worked out for both of us! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2018 at 9:56 PM, speechpathy said:

Saint Xavier is AWFUL.  I do not recommend it.  The professors and staff are completely unprofessional and treat the department like their personal stomping grounds.  Young ladies are oppressed and fearful of expressing themselves or any concerns.  They don't treat their students appropriately and are more concerned about what they wear or how their hair is to be done.  Stay clear of this program.  It is going downhill anyway.

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2018 at 8:41 AM, owlgirl8 said:

Saint Xavier is AWFUL.  I do not recommend it.  The professors and staff are completely unprofessional and treat the department like their personal stomping grounds.  Young ladies are oppressed and fearful of expressing themselves or any concerns.  They don't treat their students appropriately and are more concerned about what they wear or how their hair is to be done.  Stay clear of this program.  It is going downhill anyway.

I didn't see this until now, but wow! I am so thankful I didn't go to this program!!! I am extremely happy with the program that I ended up choosing and feel like it's the perfect fit! I hope others see this and know to steer clear of that program!