All this waiting is driving me insane. I keep seeing so many people getting accepted to the same programs I applied to. I have yet to be accepted anywhere and and still waiting to hear back from programs even though others have gotten accepted. I’m starting to feel I’m going to be waitlisted and rejected everywhere. I’m not looking forward to going back to school and having professors and classmates ask where I’ve gotten in and telling them nowhere yet. Perhaps I’m jealous of those who have gotten into more than one program already but I’m so over waiting and not sure how I’m going to make it to April to find out if I’ve been accepted off any waitlists. It’s going to be so embarrassing if I don’t get in anywhere. Okay, rant over.

It's hard on this forum (and in the results section) because the people that were accepted are obviously going to be more vocal than those that were denied/waitlisted, so it makes it looks like you are alone. Don't worry, though, you are seriously not alone! I am tired of the anxious waiting and I have the same fear about returning to school and dealing with (ugh) pity. We're in this together!

24 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

All this waiting is driving me insane. I keep seeing so many people getting accepted to the same programs I applied to. I have yet to be accepted anywhere and and still waiting to hear back from programs even though others have gotten accepted. I’m starting to feel I’m going to be waitlisted and rejected everywhere. I’m not looking forward to going back to school and having professors and classmates ask where I’ve gotten in and telling them nowhere yet. Perhaps I’m jealous of those who have gotten into more than one program already but I’m so over waiting and not sure how I’m going to make it to April to find out if I’ve been accepted off any waitlists. It’s going to be so embarrassing if I don’t get in anywhere. Okay, rant over.

I agree waiting is the hardest part!  Plus some schools take soooo long to get back to you.  How many schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?  Just try to stay positive!  I applied to so many schools because I was concerned about not getting accepted anywhere because, as another poster mentioned, people are more likely to post their good news/scores/GPA's so it can get discouraging.  Even if you are waitlisted you still have a good shot at getting in!  I would just try to stay busy and know that it will be here before you know it! 

4 minutes ago, WesttoEast18 said:

I agree waiting is the hardest part!  Plus some schools take soooo long to get back to you.  How many schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?  Just try to stay positive!  I applied to so many schools because I was concerned about not getting accepted anywhere because, as another poster mentioned, people are more likely to post their good news/scores/GPA's so it can get discouraging.  Even if you are waitlisted you still have a good shot at getting in!  I would just try to stay busy and know that it will be here before you know it! 

I applied to 5 schools, it’s all I could afford. This whole process is just bringing up feelings of “why don’t I ever get chosen for things” which has been hard emotionally. I can’t wait to have definite answers.

36 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

I made the decision to not talk about the admission process with anyone other than my family. My stance has always been I’m going to wait until I hear back from every school before I discuss it.

This is 1.) to protect myself/my ego/my self esteem. I hold myself to a high standard and I don’t want to share my “failures” at this point. 2.) Out of respect for my peers. I’ve watched people talk about getting into their dream school knowing that someone else in that same room did not. I think people should be sensitive to sharing their successes. I have never asked anyone from my cohort where they have or have not gotten in. That is none of my business.

This forum is less personal so I feel like it’s not quite the same. But in terms of people I actually know...I don’t want to talk about graduate school with them until I have heard back from every school and made a decision.

8 minutes ago, Luna529 said:

I made the decision to not talk about the admission process with anyone other than my family. My stance has always been I’m going to wait until I hear back from every school before I discuss it.

This is 1.) to protect myself/my ego/my self esteem. I hold myself to a high standard and I don’t want to share my “failures” at this point. 2.) Out of respect for my peers. I’ve watched people talk about getting into their dream school knowing that someone else in that same room did not. I think people should be sensitive to sharing their successes. I have never asked anyone from my cohort where they have or have not gotten in. That is none of my business.

This forum is less personal so I feel like it’s not quite the same. But in terms of people I actually know...I don’t want to talk about graduate school with them until I have heard back from every school and made a decision.

I’ve chosen to only talk to a select few classmates about grad school. I’m lucky I have supportive classmates. But it’s still hard to hear people talk about their success when you’re struggling 

1 hour ago, StPaulCCC said:

It's hard on this forum (and in the results section) because the people that were accepted are obviously going to be more vocal than those that were denied/waitlisted, so it makes it looks like you are alone. Don't worry, though, you are seriously not alone! I am tired of the anxious waiting and I have the same fear about returning to school and dealing with (ugh) pity. We're in this together!

Yes the pity haha I hate it. I already feel bad enough on my own I don’t need others to feel sorry for me too. It almost makes it worse

12 hours ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

I totally feel you. So far I've only received rejections, not even on a waitlist and I only have 1 school left to hear from (well, technically 2, but PSU sent an email with CSDCAS verification deadlines and apparently my app wasn't processed by that date, so that's pretty much a rejection as well).

The NSSHLA board at my school actually sends out an email every year reminding students to be conscious and avpid talking about tbw application process because they know how tough it can be, so that's nice. But it still sucks waiting with no good news. I mostly feel guilty I asked for help paying for apps to schools I didn't even get into. :/

Edited by mirrorcat43

The process is really hard and as a second-year applicant I can tell you getting all rejections and not getting off waitlists was AWFUL. But you can get through it. I did and now im trying again this year and already have 3 waitlisted school, so I can be happy with that. What are the school you are waiting to hear from? Maybe we all can give some imput!

1 hour ago, hopefulSLP2be7 said:

The process is really hard and as a second-year applicant I can tell you getting all rejections and not getting off waitlists was AWFUL. But you can get through it. I did and now im trying again this year and already have 3 waitlisted school, so I can be happy with that. What are the school you are waiting to hear from? Maybe we all can give some imput!

Thanks for the supoort! It's nicw to hear from someone who has been in a similae situation.

As a second year applicant, did you continue to take courses? And/or were you still able to get academic letters of rec? I think that's the main thing I'm nervous about for next year (if I don't get good news from EWU). 

11 hours ago, mirrorcat43 said:

Thanks for the supoort! It's nicw to hear from someone who has been in a similae situation.

As a second year applicant, did you continue to take courses? And/or were you still able to get academic letters of rec? I think that's the main thing I'm nervous about for next year (if I don't get good news from EWU). 

I didn't take any CSD classes as all my grades were As and Bs and my old professor didn't recommend to in my case. Since aug when I got rejected off my last waitlist, I did take a better science + lab class (got an A), help out at a research lab once a week, and work as a teacher in a toddler setting/ teach phonics. I was hoping those things were enough changes to my application in the span of aug-application season to show I really care about becoming an SLP. In terms of letters of rec, I used one of my professors from last years application cycle (just updated her in the summer when I didn't get in and told her i'd love to have her write for me again, she was the professor i was closest too), someone at the lab, and my boss at the school. 

If you want to keep the same letters of rec, I think that's fine just keep them up to date with what youre doing to better yourself for nex year. You'll be shocked how many people are open to writing letters if you ask nicely!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! As someone who took it took three different application rounds to be accepted into graduate school, I can assure you I have had similar frustrations and doubts with the process. When I would talk to family and friends many would not understand how difficult this process is and how competitive it is to get into graduate school for this field. Having rejections and waitlists is rough, I won't lie especially when you talk to other students and feel like you are the only one that did not get in anywhere. But don't give up! If this is what you want to do then don't give up. Keep moving forward and improving your applications year after year. I also honestly can say that I feel like not giving up and applying says something about your character and this is beneficial to professors that review your application. This past cycle I was waitlisted and accepted into the most programs, so for me third time was a try. Also there is still time to hear back. Those that are already accepted have until April 15th to accept their spot. I know from experience that people will sit on an acceptance and wait from other schools. So its frustrating for those that are still waiting and haven't heard squat. This past cycle I was accepted off a waitlist in July!!! By then I had already made my decision on a school but trust me there is still time :) I hope that was helpful and like someone else said we are all in this together!!!