I am getting grumpy since I have been waiting for the final result for almost 1 month

Lucy22

Haha. I am glad that I am not the only one. I should get the final result in Early March but today is 13th. Alas. I am also ready to be put out of my misery. Haha. We put somewhat lots of efforts and time into the application. !So... Let's wish our best luck! 

39 minutes ago, TheHoff said:

I am trying to remain calm but I get grumpy everytime and I get an email on my main inbox and it's not related to Grad school admissions or when people ask me "how are the applications going?/Did you hear back from any school?" :lol:

Same! Every time my phone dings to let me know I have an email, I have a short panic, and then die a little inside when I realize it's something completely unrelated to grad school. 

I realized my body got so tense, I actually got problems in my arm. Then I realized I got so tense for waiting for my result (today it's a MONTH since my first interview - a week since my last with the same school. Skype all the way). I'm sorta doing a lot of yoga exercises now so it's working out, but I actually NEED this to be over soon. It's controlling my life for real.

Yeah I still have 4/7 to hear back from (one being my top school). Even for the "safety" schools that I've got accepted nearly a month ago, I just heard today about an unofficial estimate for one. Calling the department only turns up: "They haven't made decisions quite yet, but they're close", but still nothing after 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Lucy22 said:

Yes. Psygeek. I am the same as you. Today it''s a Month since my interviews. I got two interviews. But still I am waiting. Since I can reduce my stress level while I cook, I really want to host brunch ! 

I'd love to come over and complain together about this - but I'm on the other side of the world atm. My main way to deal with the stress now is just to go hardcore on my other research projects (the publications wouldn't do any harm if I don't get accepted in the end for the next cycle, nor if I get accepted lol).

57 minutes ago, GirtonOramsay said:

Yeah I still have 4/7 to hear back from (one being my top school). Even for the "safety" schools that I've got accepted nearly a month ago, I just heard today about an unofficial estimate for one. Calling the department only turns up: "They haven't made decisions quite yet, but they're close", but still nothing after 2 weeks.

Quote from 3 weeks ago: 'Things should be moving fast now' - but it should take no more than 'a couple of weeks'. (one week after the moving fast I got the other invite to chat - it seems to be like a weekly thing, so if they follow this trend (every wed - I should get news today lol)).

2 hours ago, Psygeek said:

Quote from 3 weeks ago: 'Things should be moving fast now' - but it should take no more than 'a couple of weeks'. (one week after the moving fast I got the other invite to chat - it seems to be like a weekly thing, so if they follow this trend (every wed - I should get news today lol)).

Lol "fast" = "sometime; maybe in April". I had one POI send me emails after each interview how "my CV/interview went and how my research proposal is sure to be chosen for a fellowship. Then emails me last week saying he was sorry that he couldn't add me to his team (as if I rejected) only to say that I should hear back the next day about it after correcting him. Still have no word on the admission or fellowship :lol:

14 minutes ago, GirtonOramsay said:

Lol "fast" = "sometime; maybe in April". I had one POI send me emails after each interview how "my CV/interview went and how my research proposal is sure to be chosen for a fellowship. Then emails me last week saying he was sorry that he couldn't add me to his team (as if I rejected) only to say that I should hear back the next day about it after correcting him. Still have no word on the admission or fellowship :lol:

Somehow I read your username as Gordon Ramsay, but OK.

Yeah, I'm not in that situation yet. I don't know. At least my situation seems less 'messy' than yours :P Seems like the uni has some issues there maybe.

33 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

Somehow I read your username as Gordon Ramsay, but OK.

Yeah, I'm not in that situation yet. I don't know. At least my situation seems less 'messy' than yours :P Seems like the uni has some issues there maybe.

Lol it is meant to reference when an Indian tried to spell Gordon Ramsay's name when he visited India.

Yeah you just got the straggler school. Tbf, the POI seems very busy though with 8 publications (2 first-author) for 2018 alone...so he gets a pass for now, but not in 2 weeks 

24 minutes ago, GirtonOramsay said:

Lol it is meant to reference when an Indian tried to spell Gordon Ramsay's name when he visited India.

Yeah you just got the straggler school. Tbf, the POI seems very busy though with 8 publications (2 first-author) for 2018 alone...so he gets a pass for now, but not in 2 weeks 

There are still two places I haven't even heard from :') (although don't expect them to make a move at all - assuming rejection here). I'm very tempted to drop the interview school an email (although to the ad comm coordinator) when I can expect results (like for real people!). Thinking about it - I may do it now lol - can't stand it anymore.

At the same time - you may take it as a red flag if someone is highly disorganized by not knowing whether you're still interested in his/her lab or not (but again, if the person has a good excuse and does awesome research.. I don't know).

I don't think emailing them will help too much; at best, you're likely to get a "too many applicant, very busy"-type response if you get any at all. (And not to scare off anyone from emailing, but I've seen at least one instance on the results page where they were sent a reject the very next day after inquiring about application status, although it probably was not the cause but only the catalyst for notification.)

I do not know if you're applying for MS/PhD and for what field, but from what I've observed/heard it's probably like this: the schools have sent out some admits. and kept some on hold and outright rejected some applicants. (I've had all three happen to me.)

If enough people from the offered list accept, so that their intended strength is reached, you'll get a reject. However, people do have some time, usually up to April 15, to respond. So unless enough people offered admission in the first round decline to accept the offer, there'll be no fresh offers before that point of time. Some, like SUNY UB, have set that first deadline to March 15, so they'll  send out more admits shortly, I think.

And if your school does rolling admits,  I've no idea how that works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   I've heard of one or two accepts (and rejects!) being sent out in May.

Finally, I'll reiterate that these are all drawn from anecdotal accounts and extrapolated, and therefore may only apply partially to your particular case. Good Luck!

Besivance !

Thank you for your reply. Yes. You are right.

I applied to a Ph.d program . That was only one program I applied to. Because that program is exactly what I was looking for.

Yes. I won’t contact the coordinator. Even I emailed her last week but still  I haven’t gotten any reply from her. Aals.

Hope I get in the program. I love the field. Thank you so much! 

I am just wondering how long I need to wait for the final result . I mean generally. I should receive the final result in Early March based on the notification at the official website. But I am still waiting. It’s not fun.

9 hours ago, Lucy22 said:

I am just wondering how long I need to wait for the final result . I mean generally. I should receive the final result in Early March based on the notification at the official website. But I am still waiting. It’s not fun.

Not fun is an understatement :')

14 hours ago, Lucy22 said:

Hey. Is there anyone who emailed a director? For me, it is too much. I am horrible with waiting something. I should get the result in Early March. Do I have an erroneous notion regarding 'early march'?

I did and I am just too confused: I wrote to 3 programs directors. The first one was Boston College: got accepted and didn't knew because postal service in my country sucks.

The second one is the one that has me  feeling anxious: I wrote to the director of BU Romances Studies to know if the had already send admissions for their Ph.D program (to see if I should give up hope) and I got a mail from the administrative assistant telling me that my application was still on consideration and asking me to be patient and wait a little more for an answer. I know that BU has already send admission letters to other people for that Ph.D. Does this means I am on a internal waiting list? Should I keep hope? I have a very good offer from BCollege, so in any case I am going to Boston on the fall, but I don't know what to think. BU was my top choice from the beginning so I can't help feeling really anxious.

Also, I wrote to U of Toronto director of the Romance L and L for the MA program, but it was a copy-pasted from the one I wrote for BCollege and forgot to change the name of the university.  That was two weeks ago, haven't got an answer.

Edited by LauraVZ

Hi! You have my empathy. I'm torn out by the waiting game right now... One POI told me that I'm for sure one of her potential candidates, and that she would like to set up a Skype meeting with me as soon as funding are secure. But.... that was 2 weeks ago LOL.

Edited by JetPlane_the

Thank you all! I will try to contact the director. I am also tone out. It is not easy. Even it is hard to focus on reading. Plus, the other part of me is still afraid that I might get rejected.  Haha. Let's wish our best luck! 

Edited by Lucy22

@JetPlane_the

Yes . I understand you totally.

I just contacted a director and I got an email from a program coordinator. I will receive the final result at the end of next week. That means I have to wait for it more than 7~8days.  I don’t know how to deal with that.

Yes, you should contact them in order to not be under lots of stress. Waiting is not fun. Please keep me updated. Good luck!!!