Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

16 hours ago, dancedementia said:

Just spent the day doing apps. I'm starting to get really nervous about the GRE - my scores from undergrad expired a few months, and I'm so terrified that my upcoming retake is going to be so much worse. It's been a long time since I've done math, y'all!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Lol I was in the same boat about the math. 

On 8/30/2018 at 3:23 PM, RidiculousResearcher said:

Hi everyone, despite the "read/post here at your own risk," nice to meet y'all!

Program of Interest: PhD in Clinical Psychology, PsyD in Clinical Psychology, and possible a joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology and Peace Studies at Notre Dame

Schools of Interest:

PhD: Virginia Tech ,University of Connecticut, University of Nebraska, Notre Dame, UCLA, UCSD, U Missouri – Kansas City, Howard University, University of Memphis, University of Maryland Baltimore

PsyD: University of Denver, Chestnut College, Pacific University, William James College, University of LaVerne

Research Interests: etiology and interventions for trauma, refugee and immigrant mental health disparities; culturally- and contextually-appropriate interventions; minority mental health, particularly in the Latino community

Educational Background: B.A. in Psychology, solid GPA

Things I'm Not Worried About:

-          My GRE scores and GPA are both plenty competitive.

-          I have a good mix of research experience and clinical experience. My research experience too is pretty varied: I presented an independent study at two conferences, and assisted in a lab at UCLA. So I’ve both led and presented research (and research assistants) in a smaller lab and assisted in research at a larger lab.

-          My fit into programs: I applied last cycle to places that were not a good fit and tried to write my way in. I’ve reflected a lot on that and realize what I did wrong, and expanded my geographical reach a lot (as you may have noticed) and actually turned down one school that was NOT a good fit at all, but was the only one I was accepted to. I feel confident that I’ve done my research better this time around and have a healthier list of reach schools and different types of programs.

Things I'm Worried About:

-Research experience is all clinically-focused, but not trauma focused. My interest in trauma came from non-research based experience. Advisors have helped me see how to frame my research experience as still very relevant to the research I want to do, but I am nervous about convincing applicant committees.

-Maybe imposter syndrome but I do sometimes worry about my letters of rec. My professors and supervisor who are willing to write are all very supportive and always say they are willing to write, but I always wonder a bit if I am truly “anything special” within their labs/programs. They are my best recommenders, however, and there aren’t others I would select.

-As a career, I want to do more research than a PsyD, but maybe less research than a PhD. I would like practice to be somewhat involved in my future life, but I don’t want to mention this in a PhD application lest they think I don’t want to focus on research. I just want to do everything! (Yes, I know this is unreasonable haha)

Hey RidiculousResearcher,

Looks like we are applying to just about the same schools and also have the same research interests. Nice to see another person with similar research interests. 

19 hours ago, aokanlawon said:

Hey RidiculousResearcher,

Looks like we are applying to just about the same schools and also have the same research interests. Nice to see another person with similar research interests. 

Wow, awesome! What schools are you also looking at? I just went back through my PsyD list and am a little frustrated because only ONE of the set has reasonable APA internship rates. My list might be shrinking. ?

Hey all,

This is what I have so far. I am giving this application season a try and seeing how it goes. I have very little hope as I feel I have very little research experience. If it does't work out, I have plans to get more research experience but just going to see how this all goes. It doesn't hurt to try and then fail and know you gave it your all. 

Program of Interest: PhD in Clinical Psychology, PsyD in Clinical Psychology, Master as backup 

Schools of Interest:

PhD: Northern Illinois, University of Wisconsin, University of Toledo, University of Nebraska, John Jay College, Utah state University, UCSD, U Missouri – St Louis, University of Nebraska, University of Memphis, University of Maryland Baltimore, University of Colorado

PsyD: Going to consider just one maybe 2 that have good funding. Haven't found alot of them. 

Masters: Illinois State University

Research Interests: Etiology and interventions for trauma in non-western victims, immigrant mental health disparities; culturally- and contextually-appropriate interventions; minority mental health, particularly in the African community. How effective western-based treatments and interventions are in treating trauma/PTSD in non-western victims and perpetrators. 

Educational Background: B.A. in Psychology, 3.7 GPA

-         GPA 

-         Letters of Recommendations

-        My fit into programs: I am pretty confident with the professors I have looked into and how I fit in with them. 

-         Planning on killing my Personal Statement

-        I have my research thesis which is pretty close to my interest 

-        3 years of clinical experience working with autistic kids and providing evidence based treatment.

-        2 poster presentation on my presentation at MPA

-I went to a pretty small private College where we did not have Research labs. We were encouraged right from the get go to engage in student led research in different courses with professor supervision ofcourse. My Research experience is about a year and the half all together.  My interest in trauma came from non-research based experience. 

-I have been out of college and working for about 3yrs and not much research done in that time.

-As a career, I want to collaborate with psychologists in non-western countries and bring awareness to certain psychological instruments we can make use of and make bring about interventions, research, preventions, and etiology that is based on non-western victims. I also want to practice but scared to mention this in the app as I don't want to be seen as deceitful. I am very interested in African research but also don't want to limit myself to just that and want to helpful to others too.

-I am horribly scared of the GRE since I haven't taken it yet

-I want to do research but not make it the only thing I do my entire career. I am passionate about therapy for African victims of trauma as I am African too. 

image.png

image.png

38 minutes ago, RidiculousResearcher said:

Wow, awesome! What schools are you also looking at? I just went back through my PsyD list and am a little frustrated because only ONE of the set has reasonable APA internship rates. My list might be shrinking. ?

Hey,

I also keep adjusting my schools and revisiting the list over and over.  

PhD: Northern Illinois, University of Wisconsin, University of Toledo, University of Nebraska, John Jay College, Utah state University, UCSD, U Missouri – St Louis, University of Nebraska, University of Memphis, University of Maryland Baltimore, University of Colorado.

Above is what I have so far and I haven't looked much into psyD as I need funding and do not think I want to take any loans to spend that long in school. I trying to find funded programs in this area. Also, like you mentioned APA internship rates are ridiculous for PsyD programs that I have seen. Have you emailed any of you POIs?

Just now, aokanlawon said:

Hey,

I also keep adjusting my schools and revisiting the list over and over.  

PhD: Northern Illinois, University of Wisconsin, University of Toledo, University of Nebraska, John Jay College, Utah state University, UCSD, U Missouri – St Louis, University of Nebraska, University of Memphis, University of Maryland Baltimore, University of Colorado.

Above is what I have so far and I haven't looked much into psyD as I need funding and do not think I want to take any loans to spend that long in school. I trying to find funded programs in this area. Also, like you mentioned APA internship rates are ridiculous for PsyD programs that I have seen. Have you emailed any of you POIs?

I have! Some of them replied SUPER fast which made me a bit nervous hahaha I came up with a few paragraphs I liked and then tailored them to each POI. Some were very encouraging, some were pretty reasonable. I just made sure they were taking students and talked a bit about myself and their research.

I haven't seen ANY funded PsyD programs, myself. I'm hoping to get into a PhD program. My heart really isn't in a PsyD, but I am trying to  hedge my bets. But some of my PhD programs are less competitive than others so...we'll see!

Just now, RidiculousResearcher said:

I have! Some of them replied SUPER fast which made me a bit nervous hahaha I came up with a few paragraphs I liked and then tailored them to each POI. Some were very encouraging, some were pretty reasonable. I just made sure they were taking students and talked a bit about myself and their research.

I haven't seen ANY funded PsyD programs, myself. I'm hoping to get into a PhD program. My heart really isn't in a PsyD, but I am trying to  hedge my bets. But some of my PhD programs are less competitive than others so...we'll see!

@aokanlawon Also feel free to PM me anytime! I'm sure we'd have a lot to talk about the next few months with very similar interests and a lot of similar schools. :)

16 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Where's everyone at in the application process so far? I think I finally finalized my list of schools and I'm working on my statement of purpose now.

Everyone I wanted to write recommendations has agreed to do so, I've pretty much finalized my list of schools (would like to find one more masters program to apply to...just haven't found the one yet ), and I've completed the general applications for two schools and have started giving some thought to how I want to structure my statement of purpose. A lot to do in the next few months ! 

For those of y'all who want to study health disparities, minority mental health, multiculturalism, etc, I suggest you look into PhD programs in Counseling Psychology as well. Those are some big tenets of Counseling Psych and you'll find some amazing programs. University of Houston's counseling program has at least 3 researchers who focus on Hispanic and/or African-American mental health, if not more. 

On 8/31/2018 at 10:17 PM, ResilientDreams said:

Where's everyone at in the application process so far? I think I finally finalized my list of schools and I'm working on my statement of purpose now.

Sent in most of my apps and SOPs. Prodding my recommenders to send in LORs. Some schools also don't have updated apps online yet so I'm waiting on that (esp the PSYCAS schools since PSYCAS doesn't update for the new year until Sept 13th). 

Jumping in on the bandwagon!

Program of Interest: PhD in Social Psych [affective (neuro)science]

Schools of Interest:

Narrowed down to slightly over 25. Sending e-mails out to POIs and will further cull depending on interactions and feels.

Research Interests:

1) perception, regulation and expression of emotions 2) how they impact clinical outcomes and psychopathology

Educational Background:

B.A. (Psychology) 3.62 gpa :(

Nothing actually. LOL. im worried about everything...

1) I graduated from a R1 university but I'm an international student. worried about qouta on that

2) My AWA for GREs was 4.0 and having retaken it, it was exactly the same. Afraid that will hurt me (especially cos "i'm not a native english speaker")

3) My LORs come from people who haven't really carved a name for themselves in the field. 1 is an asst prof. another an adjunct prof in a community college. the only one who has solid publications in nature/science etc is a senior scientist who taught 2 modules that i took and cant say much about my research.

4) my UG gpa is 3.62. not. great.

5) lack of publications. I have 1 publication in a low tiered journal (2nd author). 1 poster presentation, 2 oral presentations. my publications were supposed to be the biggest change from last application, but a number of manuscripts got rejected due to them being null (they want us to do further testing, but being a small lab, we're out of funds).

6) my 3rd time applying. my profs say they don't understand why I haven't gotten in based on my research experience. i'm guessing publications are a real make-or-break factor these days.

Wow, I feel like you people are way ahead of me. I have a draft of my personal statement now. I'm going to have my honors advisor read it on Wednesday. I need to figure out how to get my GRE scores and transcripts sent everywhere. That's my next step. And also actually plugging my recommenders into my applications.

Oh, and I have a Skype interview on Friday with a potential POI so I'm preparing for that.

4 minutes ago, loffire said:

Jumping in on the bandwagon!

Program of Interest: PhD in Social Psych [affective (neuro)science]

Schools of Interest:

Narrowed down to slightly over 25. Sending e-mails out to POIs and will further cull depending on interactions and feels.

Research Interests:

1) perception, regulation and expression of emotions 2) how they impact clinical outcomes and psychopathology

Educational Background:

B.A. (Psychology) 3.62 gpa :(

Nothing actually. LOL. im worried about everything...

1) I graduated from a R1 university but I'm an international student. worried about qouta on that

2) My AWA for GREs was 4.0 and having retaken it, it was exactly the same. Afraid that will hurt me (especially cos "i'm not a native english speaker")

3) My LORs come from people who haven't really carved a name for themselves in the field. 1 is an asst prof. another an adjunct prof in a community college. the only one who has solid publications in nature/science etc is a senior scientist who taught 2 modules that i took and cant say much about my research.

4) my UG gpa is 3.62. not. great.

5) lack of publications. I have 1 publication in a low tiered journal (2nd author). 1 poster presentation, 2 oral presentations. my publications were supposed to be the biggest change from last application, but a number of manuscripts got rejected due to them being null (they want us to do further testing, but being a small lab, we're out of funds).

6) my 3rd time applying. my profs say they don't understand why I haven't gotten in based on my research experience. i'm guessing publications are a real make-or-break factor these days.

My friend got offers last cycle and she has no publications, so don't worry.

4 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

Wow, I feel like you people are way ahead of me. I have a draft of my personal statement now. I'm going to have my honors advisor read it on Wednesday. I need to figure out how to get my GRE scores and transcripts sent everywhere. That's my next step. And also actually plugging my recommenders into my applications.

Oh, and I have a Skype interview on Friday with a potential POI so I'm preparing for that.

Most schools don't want your official transcript from prior schools until they admit you (but read carefully. When I was applying last cycle, there were like 2 or 3 that did). For the others, what I did was request an official transcript from my prior university and scanned the document as a PDF to upload to all my applications. GREs, however, it seems you need to send official scores to everyone through the ETS website. This is based on my experience anyway. 

44 minutes ago, Hk328 said:

Most schools don't want your official transcript from prior schools until they admit you (but read carefully. When I was applying last cycle, there were like 2 or 3 that did). For the others, what I did was request an official transcript from my prior university and scanned the document as a PDF to upload to all my applications. GREs, however, it seems you need to send official scores to everyone through the ETS website. This is based on my experience anyway. 

Thank you! I'm going to go through all the schools' websites and figure out what their individual requirements are and get that sorted out within the next few weeks.

I thought I should introduce myself on this thread along with everyone else:

I did my undergrad at a large public institution in CA where I graduated with a degree in psychology and a degree in literature. I was involved in 2 research labs and two student affairs type internships where I got to supervise interns and facilitate workshops on various issues related to oppression, identity, and diversity.

My research interests include oppression's effect on queer and transgender people of color (QTPOC) individuals, the interplay of religiousity and sexuality (particularly in non-Abrahamic religions), intersectionality studies, community-collaborative research methodologies, and interdisciplinary work in ethnic studies, queer theory, and feminist studies. 

I know that is all over the place, but hopefully I will have something more coherent and concise when it comes to my final statement of purpose. 

I am predominately applying to Counseling Psychology doctorates with one Clinical PsyD program. 

I am so grateful I found this page and I wish everyone all the very best with applications because I know how stressful they can be (I had an unsuccessful app cycle during my senior year of undergrad) ❤️ 

On 9/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, ResilientDreams said:

Haha we've got time (I won't be saying that in a couple  months lol)! I'm doing pretty much everything to avoid starting on that personal statement, so I commend you for knocking out the hard stuff first! 

6 hours ago, liznlex said:

Haha we've got time (I won't be saying that in a couple  months lol)! I'm doing pretty much everything to avoid starting on that personal statement, so I commend you for knocking out the hard stuff first! 

Though i think once you've confirmed your list of schools you'd wanna send your gre scores and transcript asap. That way if things dont line up you have enough time to resend. Towards the deadline the committee gets overwhelmed with e-mails wrt missing items so you might end up waiting a week or 2 for them to find everything which can be costly. About 4 of the schools I applied to previously didn't manage to compile all my materials before the grad comm convened :(  so i'd recommend gres and transcripts (IF they need hardcopies) even if you haven't worked on the rest of the application materials. OH and give your LOR writers plenty of time. they tend to get busy and forget. One of my LOR came in super late cos his comp crashed. I'd recommend asking your LORs to be submitted like 1.5-2 weeks before deadline so you can still bug them and get it all in by deadline

7 hours ago, loffire said:

Though i think once you've confirmed your list of schools you'd wanna send your gre scores and transcript asap. That way if things dont line up you have enough time to resend. Towards the deadline the committee gets overwhelmed with e-mails wrt missing items so you might end up waiting a week or 2 for them to find everything which can be costly. About 4 of the schools I applied to previously didn't manage to compile all my materials before the grad comm convened :(  so i'd recommend gres and transcripts (IF they need hardcopies) even if you haven't worked on the rest of the application materials. OH and give your LOR writers plenty of time. they tend to get busy and forget. One of my LOR came in super late cos his comp crashed. I'd recommend asking your LORs to be submitted like 1.5-2 weeks before deadline so you can still bug them and get it all in by deadline

Right, I'm planning on getting all that done by the end of September/early October, so I think that will be enough time. 

Hi guys,

I'm considering applied psychology programs (specifically ones that focus on developmental psych). I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about the PhD program at Teachers College, which I think is housed in their Human Development department. Also wondering about the program at NYU- Steinhardt. For starters, I'm not sure how the application process works. Is it the same as with social psych/cog psych, where you select a primary mentor in advance (and email them to make sure they're accepting students)? Also, are these programs competitive/do they prepare you successfully for a career either in academia or in industry? Right now, I've been conducting research in a cog dev lab, so I don't have as much familiarity with applied programs (though I have had some previous research experience in applied psych).  My GPA is high enough, and I've had plenty of research experience. I'm just a little lost when it comes to figuring out the right path moving forward.

Thanks!

Y'all have time! I would start panicking around the end of October ;) The reason I'm trying to get all of my stuff in ASAP is b/c I'm also juggling a major research project and taking my masters-level licensing exam (which also counts as our exit exams) next month (ugh).

The forum's gone a lil quiet. Thought I'd bump it a little. So I've emailed POIs from all 30 schools from my first cut and most of them replied. Some had very short replies, some much longer. Based on those I've narrowed it down to 9 schools. Might cut it further.

Most of them said we can discuss things at a later point (aka, get through the first cut then we'll see). One of the POIs wanted to have a skype call and she was super nice. I highlighted that I was worried that though my verbal and quant scores were pretty good, my awa scores were pretty low (4.0). She looked a little concerned, but mentioned that if my awa score is low, they'd refer to my SOP/Personal statement to see if my writing was truly rubbish. It also helped that we skyped, so she knows I don't have problems putting my thoughts into words. So for those in a similar situation, get your SOP out and bug people to read it to help your chances.

13 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Whenever I read this thread I feel like I'm so behind. I finally have three recommenders who have agreed to write letters for me. I think that's pretty good lol.

Noice. How'd your skype interview go? was it last fri?