Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

9 hours ago, cindyboop said:

Besides your GRE scores I am not sure how you can improve unless you decide to do a masters first. I would also think about applying to more schools, that has been the advice I keep getting over and over 

How many schools does one usually apply for? Most people advise me more the merrier, but application fees are too expensive when combined together. 

Edited by HeyHye

On 4/22/2018 at 5:45 PM, dancedementia said:

Thanks for sharing this! It definitely gives me hope (and also confirms my interests in ED research). I also really appreciate you breaking down your research/match schools as it gives me some sense of where to target my apps. Who is your prof/POI at Yeshiva?

I'll be working with Dr. Swencionis! What I liked about Ferkauf and his lab the most is that he encourages more autonomous research in his students as opposed to a lab where you are obligated to do research for the professor.  The downside of that is it's a bit harder to get funding, but it's definitely still possible.  I'm interested in developing a stronger framework for early identification of EDs, including risk factors and prodromal symptoms and hopefully starting a pilot program for prevention and/or early intervention.  I described this to him, and he said that it is certainly achievable.

On 4/25/2018 at 4:59 PM, HeyHye said:

How many schools does one usually apply for? Most people advise me more the merrier, but application fees are too expensive when combined together. 

I've been advised to apply to at least 10. I know it's expensive but it can be worth it.

45 minutes ago, cindyboop said:

I've been advised to apply to at least 10. I know it's expensive but it can be worth it.

I was advised a minimum of 10. I ended up going with 6 (stubborn me) - and had issues with my transcripts at 2-3 of them. So my pool got extremely narrow. I just lucked out in the end. I'd definitely apply to more if I could do it over again - would mainly mix some business schools in the bunch as my area is related to that. 

On 4/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, Hk328 said:

Asking for feedback is a pretty standard part of the process. Because of the competitive nature of the process, plenty of good candidates don't even get interviews, and programs and faculty are usually pretty willing to give you honest feedback about where you can improve your application from next time. Remember, they usually have about 200 applicants vying for 5 spots, with only about 15 or so being offered an interview. 

Just send a polite email to either the director or your POI (if you were in contact with them) asking how you can improve your application for next round. One professor I spoke with after not getting an invite told me that they encourage people to try again and can even waive the application fee for the next time. 

Thank you! It was really helpful to learn that it's actually ok to write them.

16 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I think it depends on your credentials and the type of programs you're applying to. My first cycle I applied to 17 programs and got in no where, but they were all super competitive programs...had I included even 1 or 2 less competitive programs I might've gotten in. My second time I applied to 12, only about 7 of which I thought would be reasonable -- interviewed at 5, waitlisted at 3, accepted to 2. I could have saved some money and not applied to the more competitive programs but it would have killed me to not even try!

canadian here, probably going to dabble in the 2019 cycle and see what happens. tbh everything on my list is a reach, but im pretty ready to apply again for 2020. yeehaw, we ain't scared of rejection here! *sobbing*. still have my GRE to take though, fingers crossed. If anyone wants to talk about applying to the states as a canadian, I would be glad to hear from you! Also is anyone considering Harvard? They have no application stats/outcomes for the incoming classes aside from enrolment numbers--would be nice to have some stats to refer to. 

all clin:

Can: UBC, UVic

US: Harvard, Rutgers, WashU, Stony Brook, Northwestern

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am planning on applying to clinical psychology PhD programs for Fall 2019.

I am currently an undergraduate at Columbia University with a 3.97 GPA. I have worked in a clinical practice for children's mental health as a Program Assistant for a year and as an RA at a children's psychiatric hospital for one year as well. Once I will have applied, I will have presented at 3 conferences. I am also working on an independent research project on racial bias in clinician diagnosis.

The schools I would like to apply to are: BU, Columbia Teachers College, Northwestern, Fordham, NYU, Rutgers

Do you think I have a shot? I am feeling a little nervous since a lot of you have a Master's degree and I will be applying right out of undergrad. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

14 hours ago, lebasi said:

Hi All,

I am currently an undergraduate at Columbia University with a 3.97 GPA. I have worked in a clinical practice for children's mental health as a Program Assistant for a year and as an RA at a children's psychiatric hospital for one year as well. Once I will have applied, I will have presented at 3 conferences. I am also working on an independent research project on racial bias in clinician diagnosis.

The schools I would like to apply to are: BU, Columbia Teachers College, Northwestern, Fordham, NYU, Rutgers

Do you think I have a shot? I am feeling a little nervous since a lot of you have a Master's degree and I will be applying right out of undergrad. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Your GPA is obviously great and it sounds like you have some good research experience.  Depending on your GRE and how well you're able to speak to your research fit in your personal statement, you can certainly be competitive at those programs.  I would definitely expand your pool of schools and try not to limit yourself geographically.  Your list is full of schools in major cities that have enormous applicant pools, particularly BU and Fordham.  Try to build your list up to 10-15 programs, and sprinkle in some slightly less competitive schools -- all of the schools on your list have minuscule acceptance rates.

It's hard to say what your chances are because research fit is so crucial. You've certainly checked necessary boxes so far.

If you're not successful next cycle, schools will definitely offer you a spot in their masters programs. Definitely do not attend a master's program, as you'll see a limited benefit based on your GPA.  Look for a full-time research position in your chosen area.

18 hours ago, lebasi said:

Hi All,

Just a heads up that NYU doesn't have a clinical program per se (only counseling).Also you may need to apply to more schools (particularly less selective schools) and open up which regions you're applying for (these all seem to be on the east coast and half are in ny/nj). My cohortmate had similar stats and it was pretty rough for them (they restricted themselves to ny/nj as well). I had lower gpa but 4 years of research, fellowships, and a pub and it was still not a comfortable experience for me. Its possible our cycle was particularly competitive but no sense gambling with your chances.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!!

I'm planning on applying to Clinical Psych PhDs this fall. I'm interested in programs where I can work with mentors who are doing work with the LGBT community (or topics that are particularly relevant to the community like suicide). My particular area of interest is with transgender adolescents- I have been working for 3 years on the team of an NIH funded study examining the long-term outcomes of trans kids' mental health after they start treatment which has been incredible. And I've been lucky enough to get 3 publications out of this position so far which I am grateful for. My gpa from undergrad is quite low (3.3) and not in psychology so I am hoping that my experience and my publications and conference presentations will make up for that!

So far, my top choices are U Mass Boston (2 profs doing LGBT work!), University of Nebraska Lincoln, University of Washington (researcher doing work with trans preschoolers!!). I will also be applying to a variety of other programs where profs aren't doing work with the LGBT community yet, but are working on projects in areas that are directly applicable to my interests (like trauma, eating disorders, and suicide risk and protective factors). 

I've taken the general and psych GRE and so glad to have gotten that out of the way. Now I am just focusing on my day-to-day job, getting one more article in press before I apply, picking a psych course to take this fall, and my new volunteer position at a suicide helpline. SO happy to connect with you all as we make our way through this process! :)

Hi everyone? This is my first post and I'm not entirely sure how this works, but I will be applying in the Fall 2019 cycle (for Clinical Psychology PhD and PsyD programs) and have questions for those of you familiar with the process.

Bio: I have a BS in psychology from a big-name state school, and graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 4.0 psychology GPA and a cumulative 3.8. My GRE scores are, Verbal: 166, 97th percentile; Quant: 157, 66th percentile; Writing: 4.0, 60th percentile. Do I need to retake the GRE to bring up my math and writing scores, even though my combined score is a 323? I will have 2+ years of experience in a lab at an academic medical center by Fall of 2019. I am coordinating a study funded by the NIH, and have gained a lot of technical experience, but I will not have more than a few publications by then (if any). 

I have narrowed down my program lists (so far) to:

PhD: University of South Florida, University of Colorado, East Carolina University, San Diego State University, Palo Alto University, University of Memphis, University of Florida, University of Houston, Drexel University, Virginia Commonwealth University (all based solely on faculty research interests).

PsyD: George Washington University, University of Denver, Loyola University, William James College.

I will also be applying to MPH and MAMHC programs as safeties, but I haven't decided how many.

As someone without a masters, or that many publications, should I ~realistically apply to fewer PhD and more PsyD/masters programs?

I plan on reaching out to prospective mentors at every PhD program I'm applying to. So, when is the best time to do that? From what I can tell, most programs don't post which faulty members are accepting PhD candidates until the early fall. 

To anyone who actually reads all of that^ I appreciate you already! 

11 hours ago, researchassistant said:

Hi everyone? This is my first post and I'm not entirely sure how this works, but I will be applying in the Fall 2019 cycle (for Clinical Psychology PhD and PsyD programs) and have questions for those of you familiar with the process.

Bio: I have a BS in psychology from a big-name state school, and graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 4.0 psychology GPA and a cumulative 3.8. My GRE scores are, Verbal: 166, 97th percentile; Quant: 157, 66th percentile; Writing: 4.0, 60th percentile. Do I need to retake the GRE to bring up my math and writing scores, even though my combined score is a 323? I will have 2+ years of experience in a lab at an academic medical center by Fall of 2019. I am coordinating a study funded by the NIH, and have gained a lot of technical experience, but I will not have more than a few publications by then (if any). 

I have narrowed down my program lists (so far) to:

PhD: University of South Florida, University of Colorado, East Carolina University, San Diego State University, Palo Alto University, University of Memphis, University of Florida, University of Houston, Drexel University, Virginia Commonwealth University (all based solely on faculty research interests).

PsyD: George Washington University, University of Denver, Loyola University, William James College.

I will also be applying to MPH and MAMHC programs as safeties, but I haven't decided how many.

As someone without a masters, or that many publications, should I ~realistically apply to fewer PhD and more PsyD/masters programs?

I plan on reaching out to prospective mentors at every PhD program I'm applying to. So, when is the best time to do that? From what I can tell, most programs don't post which faulty members are accepting PhD candidates until the early fall. 

To anyone who actually reads all of that^ I appreciate you already! 

Your GRE being above a 320 is great, but the math is a little low. Depending on what area of psych research you are looking at, the math being low may be okay. If you are heavy on quant methods or something, then the math should be higher. 

I'd love to know what your research interests are if you want to share on here or PM me. Applying can be a stressful process (as a now second year PhD student), so if I can be of any help I like to be. :)

I've officially narrowed down the schools I am applying to this fall!  Let me know if anyone has info on these programs:

Texas A&M; UT Southwestern; Alabama-Birmingham; Washington; Miami; Loyola Chicago; UT-Austin; Vanderbilt; Boston University; Florida; Georgia; Nebraska-Lincoln; Maryland-Baltimore County

Now I'm focusing on preparing to retake the GRE later this summer...any tips on how to do that while working a full-time job and preparing a master's thesis would be welcome! ?

On 6/6/2018 at 3:24 PM, rosesandrecords said:

I've officially narrowed down the schools I am applying to this fall!  Let me know if anyone has info on these programs:

Texas A&M; UT Southwestern; Alabama-Birmingham; Washington; Miami; Loyola Chicago; UT-Austin; Vanderbilt; Boston University; Florida; Georgia; Nebraska-Lincoln; Maryland-Baltimore County

Now I'm focusing on preparing to retake the GRE later this summer...any tips on how to do that while working a full-time job and preparing a master's thesis would be welcome! ?

I also studied for the gre while working full time...it can be a lot. I used the Kaplan book to study, which I found helpful. I set aside entire days or several hours to devote to gre studying. What I think helped me the most was taking several full-length practice tests. I got diagnostic results from those and worked on the areas that needed improvement in between.

From my first time taking to test to the second, I ended up bringing my scores from 60th to 80th percentile in verbal, 32nd to 41st percentile in quantitative, and 56th to 83rd percentile in writing! I've been accepted into one of my top programs and I'm beginning this fall :)

Hi guys! 

This is my first time posting and my first application cycle for the PhD ?

I'm an international student but got my BS in pre-med/psychology (cum: 3.5 GPA, 3.7 psych GPA) in the US at a small, private university. Currently doing my MA in clinical psych for more research experience. I have a good amount now from working in 3 labs (4 posters at 3 conferences, 1 manuscript in prep, currently collecting data for 2 projects).  I also have a lot of clinical experience in medical settings. Verbal: 75th percentile, Quant: 50th percentile, Writing: 4.5. Prepping for the GRE all summer so I can take it again early fall! 

My area of interest is clinical health with a focus on underserved populations/a community emphasis.  

PhD Clinical:  University of Florida, University of Miami, University of Colorado- Denver, Oklahoma State University, VCU, University of Calgary (Canada), East Carolina University, Ohio State University  

PhD Counseling: Ball State University, Southern Illinois University, University of Georgia, University of Houston 

Excited but overwhelmed by how amazing everyone else's accomplishments are. Wishing everyone the best! Also, if there are any other international students applying, feel free to PM me! 

On 6/6/2018 at 10:21 AM, Clinapp2017 said:

Your GRE being above a 320 is great, but the math is a little low. Depending on what area of psych research you are looking at, the math being low may be okay. If you are heavy on quant methods or something, then the math should be higher. 

I'd love to know what your research interests are if you want to share on here or PM me. Applying can be a stressful process (as a now second year PhD student), so if I can be of any help I like to be. :)

My primary research interests are in the area of posttraumatic stress disorder and recovery from trauma, particularly sexual assault and intimate partner violence. I am especially interested in the relationship between alcohol abuse and sexual violence in college students. Thus, my top three choices right now are ECU, DePaul, and University of Memphis, because they have active Greek Life and >15,000 undergrad. 

I've gained a lot of knowledge and technical skills in my current lab, but the research is not in my chosen area. Is it unrealistic to apply with research experience that is applicable, but not directly related to what I want to do?

Thank you so much in advance!!

PS: do I need to take the GRE psychology subject test?

On 6/7/2018 at 5:26 PM, Jayne said:

I also studied for the gre while working full time...it can be a lot. I used the Kaplan book to study, which I found helpful. I set aside entire days or several hours to devote to gre studying. What I think helped me the most was taking several full-length practice tests. I got diagnostic results from those and worked on the areas that needed improvement in between.

From my first time taking to test to the second, I ended up bringing my scores from 60th to 80th percentile in verbal, 32nd to 41st percentile in quantitative, and 56th to 83rd percentile in writing! I've been accepted into one of my top programs and I'm beginning this fall :)

Thanks for the tips!  Do you mind my asking how far in advance of the test you started studying?  

Hello all!

I was hoping to know if I stand a chance for clinical psychology programs and if I should even bother applying at all!

Education: Undergrad BA in Psychology and Human Development (cumulative: 3.56); Master in Social Work (gpa: 3.98)

Research: 1 year in a Culture and Social Development Lab (2 posters & team leader for one of the studies); 1 year in a Forensic Neuroscience lab conducting neuropsychology assessments (1 poster); 1 year in a Serious Mental Illness Lab (1 publication in progress)

Experience: 1 year working in a mental state hospital; 1 year working in an outpatient psychiatry clinic;  2 years working as a TA for a statistics course

Honor Awards: 8 total awards accumulated from both undergrad and masters 

Thanks in advance! ?

On 6/11/2018 at 10:14 PM, researchassistant said:

My primary research interests are in the area of posttraumatic stress disorder and recovery from trauma, particularly sexual assault and intimate partner violence. I am especially interested in the relationship between alcohol abuse and sexual violence in college students. Thus, my top three choices right now are ECU, DePaul, and University of Memphis, because they have active Greek Life and >15,000 undergrad. 

I've gained a lot of knowledge and technical skills in my current lab, but the research is not in my chosen area. Is it unrealistic to apply with research experience that is applicable, but not directly related to what I want to do?

Thank you so much in advance!!

PS: do I need to take the GRE psychology subject test?

Those are interesting interest. In reality, if you are looking at schools that have a large greek life that can (support?) your study, a lot of state schools (especially in the South) also have greek life. However, what is most important is that you identify a potential mentor(s) to work with at these prospective schools if you have not already. 

I think it is generally helpful to have some research background in what you want to do, but that being said it is not a requirement. It really will depend on what your potential POIs want. 

And the psych subject test may or may not be required by the programs you want to apply to, so I would advising checking that. The test can also be useful to take if you did not major in psych and/or had a poor college GPA. 

6 hours ago, TAN_491 said:

Hello all!

I was hoping to know if I stand a chance for clinical psychology programs and if I should even bother applying at all!

Education: Undergrad BA in Psychology and Human Development (cumulative: 3.56); Master in Social Work (gpa: 3.98)

Research: 1 year in a Culture and Social Development Lab (2 posters & team leader for one of the studies); 1 year in a Forensic Neuroscience lab conducting neuropsychology assessments (1 poster); 1 year in a Serious Mental Illness Lab (1 publication in progress)

Experience: 1 year working in a mental state hospital; 1 year working in an outpatient psychiatry clinic;  2 years working as a TA for a statistics course

Honor Awards: 8 total awards accumulated from both undergrad and masters 

Thanks in advance! ?

Have you taken the GRE/what is your score? Also, what programs or research areas are you looking for?

You sound competitive at least based on this. 

1 hour ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Have you taken the GRE/what is your score? Also, what programs or research areas are you looking for?

I agree with Clinapp2017. Your credentials seem really good. 

I just wanted to add that you want to make sure your SOP explains why you specifically want a doctorate when you have your MSW, and showcase the strong research interests.

Also, be wary of some of the for-profit schools, as people who have license-eligible masters degrees are their prime targets (you have the PhD but use your masters level credentials for licensing purposes).

1 hour ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Those are interesting interest. In reality, if you are looking at schools that have a large greek life that can (support?) your study, a lot of state schools (especially in the South) also have greek life. However, what is most important is that you identify a potential mentor(s) to work with at these prospective schools if you have not already. 

I think it is generally helpful to have some research background in what you want to do, but that being said it is not a requirement. It really will depend on what your potential POIs want. 

And the psych subject test may or may not be required by the programs you want to apply to, so I would advising checking that. The test can also be useful to take if you did not major in psych and/or had a poor college GPA. 

Hi, thank you for responding! Sorry I should have been more clear- those are my top choices because I have identified potential mentors at those schools that are very closely aligned with my interests, and I would (ideally) have access to the population I want to examine. When would you say is too early vs. the ideal time frame to start reaching out to these potential mentors?

2 hours ago, researchassistant said:

Hi, thank you for responding! Sorry I should have been more clear- those are my top choices because I have identified potential mentors at those schools that are very closely aligned with my interests, and I would (ideally) have access to the population I want to examine. When would you say is too early vs. the ideal time frame to start reaching out to these potential mentors?

I reached out September/early October. I would wait until then because a lot of people are on vacation right now and funding situations may not yet be known for the 2019 year incoming students. 

14 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

Thanks for your reply.

No I have not taken the GRE. Would Magoosh be a good program to rely on?

Some of my research interests are cultural competent interventions, neuroscience,  and severe and persistent mental illnesses. So far, the only professor that I have found that is a perfect fit is at the University of Southern California (which would be my #1 choice). I know I need to apply to several other programs to be safe. 

Thank you Hk328! I did not know that about for profit schools.