Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

I also did hand-written notes, but I have a small collection of nice/cool/fun blank notecards that I'm always looking forward to using. I also did a small gift for each. It felt very natural to do this, since I really was deeply grateful for the recommendations, most of which were somewhat non-traditional. 

6 hours ago, InfiniteLoop said:

Hi guys,

Any thoughts on what is an appropriate way to thank your LOR writers? I'm thinking of writing a handwritten note and mailing it to them, but does anyone else do something more elaborate?

I just sent them wine

grad programs need to be more open about the extra fellowships they offer, especially the ones for minorities;

i should hear before i apply rather than after i get in that i'll get an extra $5k at this school for having background X; stuff like that greatly colors whether I'll think a particular program is financially worth it or not

Edited by paraent

Anyone that got accepted to LIU Brooklyn (congrats btw!) willing to provide a little more information, like your POIs? Still haven't heard anything on my end, which is making me anxious. Feel free to DM if you prefer that. ?

On 3/14/2019 at 4:10 PM, InfiniteLoop said:

Hi guys,

Any thoughts on what is an appropriate way to thank your LOR writers? I'm thinking of writing a handwritten note and mailing it to them, but does anyone else do something more elaborate?

I mailed a handwritten thank you note with a small box of fudge from a local chocolate maker. Nothing crazy, but an extra gesture to say thank you for the time they put into advancing my career and education :)

On 2/10/2019 at 4:50 PM, lilly24 said:

If anyone goes to Uconn, Florida State, or Auburn I would love to hear your opinions of the schools/areas! I am having trouble narrowing down my choices.  

I don't go to any of these schools, but I've visited UConn and Auburn.  Here are my thoughts about the areas:  UConn is a land-grant institution.  It's a pretty area, but it felt very rural to me.  It also gets quite cold in the winter.  Auburn has a very college-town feel to it, with neighborhoods around and a cute downtown.  Opelika, which is a few miles down the road, has bigger stores like Target, etc.  It's also about a 2-hr drive to Atlanta, if you're craving big city things.  Good luck deciding! :)  

Question about contacting programs. Weeks ago I asked a masters program about the status of my app. They said I would hear by about 2 weeks ago. Well I saw acceptances and rejections since then, but I haven't heard anything yet. Since April 15th is quickly approaching, I was wondering when I should contact them again. I don't want to be a bother, but like hey it's my future and I want to know what's going on. What should I do? 

1 hour ago, philopsych said:

Question about contacting programs. Weeks ago I asked a masters program about the status of my app. They said I would hear by about 2 weeks ago. Well I saw acceptances and rejections since then, but I haven't heard anything yet. Since April 15th is quickly approaching, I was wondering when I should contact them again. I don't want to be a bother, but like hey it's my future and I want to know what's going on. What should I do? 

I'm in a similar situation and I'm going to reach out and ask for an update/clarification this week. I think it's the best way to go because I need to know so I can figure out my future!

3 hours ago, psychhealth101 said:

I'm in a similar situation and I'm going to reach out and ask for an update/clarification this week. I think it's the best way to go because I need to know so I can figure out my future!

I would definitely just reach out. As I'm sure you've put together, it's generally a little late for acceptances (although certainly not out of question), but when you've applied (and probably paid money to do so) to a program and you still don't have an answer than it more than reasonable to directly reach out to them.

Hello everyone!

I am a recent alumni since I just graduated with my Bachelor's in Psychology and looking into PhD Clinical Psychology programs. The universities I've selected to apply are: Northwestern University, University of Florida, Florida State University, University of Miami, Fordham University, Stony Brook, Pennsylvania State University, University at Buffalo, and UCLA.

I graduated with a GPA of 3.91 and I have extensive clinical experience since I have been involved for two consecutive semesters in treatment programs and evaluating/administering assessments on the population I want to do research on, which is children with ADHD. I have not taken the GRE yet, but plan to do so in September so I have enough time to prepare for it. However, as for research experience, I am currently on almost my 2nd year as a research assistant that I have been part of for 4 different labs, but have only been able to contribute to 1 poster where I was not leading it, which is my weak point.

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

For those that were accepted and/or offered an interview at any university I have mentioned please comment here or DM me! I could really help some guidance in this process.

3 minutes ago, Mel29 said:

Hello everyone!

I am a recent alumni since I just graduated with my Bachelor's in Psychology and looking into PhD Clinical Psychology programs. The universities I've selected to apply are: Northwestern University, University of Florida, Florida State University, University of Miami, Fordham University, Stony Brook, Pennsylvania State University, University at Buffalo, and UCLA.

I graduated with a GPA of 3.91 and I have extensive clinical experience since I have been involved for two consecutive semesters in treatment programs and evaluating/administering assessments on the population I want to do research on, which is children with ADHD. I have not taken the GRE yet, but plan to do so in September so I have enough time to prepare for it. However, as for research experience, I am currently on almost my 2nd year as a research assistant that I have been part of for 4 different labs, but have only been able to contribute to 1 poster where I was not leading it, which is my weak point.

For those that were accepted and/or offered an interview at any university I have mentioned please comment here or DM me! I could really help some guidance in this process.

Try to push for more posters, maybe even a paper. Those are some competitive programs and research experience is going to be the key. If you get a few more research products and get a good score on the GREs, you should be in good shape. 

4 hours ago, Mel29 said:

Hello everyone!

Apply to more schools if you can afford it. You'll see on this forum many people applying to 8 or so schools and getting zero interviews (and thus zero acceptances).

The clinical psychologist supervisors in my work life told me to apply to 16 schools (I applied to 15).

In applying to more schools, you should add schools that are more diverse in geography (midwest, heartland) and more diverse in terms of competitiveness. Those are all top notch universities you're looking to apply to (nothing wrong with that), but they are all each going to literally receive a bijjilion applications, and I'd say there's a chance you'd receive zilch interviews if you exclusively apply to such competitive programs.

12 hours ago, Mel29 said:

Hello everyone!

Definitely try to broaden the range of schools you're applying like the person above suggested. I made the mistake of going for too many R1 university programs and not enough R2 or R3 ones. Nothing wrong with shooting for the competitive ones but you might be pleasantly surprised by programs that you haven't considered before.  

Has anyone been accepted to University of Utah? My POI told me he would like to accept me, but funding for slots is currently "in flux" and has yet to be determined (this has been going on for a month). I'm told by my current advisor it sounds a little sketchy, and that he may not be being honest. I'm trying to determine if this is a program-wide issue holding everyone up, or if it's just POI-specific. ?

I have two separate questions for different schools.

The application portal for a program that I have presumed rejection for updated two days ago to “Dept. Decision Made” after months of “To Dept. For Review”. How long until the letter becomes accessible? The wait is killing me lol.

One program that I interviewed for notified us that decisions would be sent out on March 19th “after spring break”. Is it too much to call tomorrow to ask about the status? Also dying from anticipation lol

On 3/20/2019 at 10:27 AM, nimsaj95 said:

Has anyone been accepted to University of Utah? My POI told me he would like to accept me, but funding for slots is currently "in flux" and has yet to be determined (this has been going on for a month). I'm told by my current advisor it sounds a little sketchy, and that he may not be being honest. I'm trying to determine if this is a program-wide issue holding everyone up, or if it's just POI-specific. ?

It sounds like you are on the waitlist and he is waiting for another faculty's student to decline so that a spot can open up for him to take you.... check the developmental psych thread. A student posted there that they were accepted.