Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

20 hours ago, LethalIntent024 said:

So currently I'm freaking out because I don't know what to think.

I applied to University of Florida's Clinical Psychology program with an emphasis in Neuropsychology and noticed someone received an offer of admission last Friday. I've been compulsively checking my email every 10 minutes for the last few days and have even reached out to PI's I'm interested in to see when I'd hear an official decision. Of course, no response yet. Should I expect a rejection? I've read some programs send out their offers in waves and that I could still be in the running but I'm not sure. If ANYONE has gone through this before, please give me clarity/closure lol

I agree with what some others said about... if you did not interview, it is safe to say you no longer are being considered for admission. BUT, if you did interview, definitely do NOT assume rejection yet!

I interviewed at the Univ of Florida for the clinical psych PhD program as well, I applied to/interviewed with neuro/CAN faculty and I have not heard from anyone yet since the interview. I am guessing that correspondence will be an individual email from the DCT and/or direct correspondence via phone or email from the POI. The person that posted the admissions offer was NOT offered admission by either of the POIs I applied to (I spoke with that person via PM) so I am assuming that POI is just much quicker than all the other POIs. Plus, INS was the week after interviews and this week is UF's spring break so maybe those two things play a role in why other faculty have (seemingly) yet to send out admissions offers AND why they haven't been responding to you emails. Hopefully more people that interviewed at UF will start hearing/posting soon! It is definitely my top choice so I am hoping for good news! 

16 hours ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

I have been on the waitlist for one program for about a month. Some people are advising that I should politely ask the POI for an update. Any advice on how to do this without seeming pushy? This would be for my top choice ?

What others have said, my admitted students weekends for two programs aren’t until next week which is like 6 weeks after I was admitted. I won’t be making a decision until I’ve had the visits and it’s probably the same at a lot of places. Hopefully you’ll hear soon!

40 minutes ago, Gradphd123 said:

Good Afternoon,

I was recently waitlisted post interview at my top choice.

I have confirmed I would like to stay on the waitlist. I would like to stay relevant in my POIs mind.

What would anyone suggest emailing for a status update?

Here's my opinion: My advisor recommended that I not contact my POI after the initial response to their waitlist email.  Some POIs perceive it as pushy (and could cut you for that) because they can't do anything until they hear from the applicant who they offered the spot to.  So, I personally wouldn't email them again.  I think the one exception may be if you've been admitted to another program since being waitlisted at your top choice, and you could update your POI with that info/reiterate that they're your 1st choice/ask for an update for decision-making purposes (maybe).  I know waiting isn't fun!  Good luck! :)    

18 hours ago, Gradphd123 said:

Good Afternoon,

I was recently waitlisted post interview at my top choice.

I have confirmed I would like to stay on the waitlist. I would like to stay relevant in my POIs mind.

What would anyone suggest emailing for a status update?

Basically if you haven't heard back it means someone else is still holding an offer from them. 

So I got a phone call from POI after the interview. I was told that "all the faculty members were impressed by me" and "things are promising". But he didn't tell me explicitly that I am admitted. He also said that there are pieces not under his control. How shall I interpret this phone call? What does the chance of getting in look like now? 

46 minutes ago, SSXX said:

So I got a phone call from POI after the interview. I was told that "all the faculty members were impressed by me" and "things are promising". But he didn't tell me explicitly that I am admitted. He also said that there are pieces not under his control. How shall I interpret this phone call? What does the chance of getting in look like now? 

It sounds like they all like you which is a good sign, especially that the professor called you to tell you this. Sometimes they might not give you a guaranteed admission because of funding or that the department might have to allocate spots between professors and some are more prioritized than others. I would say overall you have a good chance but it's not guaranteed. 

Is it a red flag that the professor I applied to has student who dropped out before? I asked one of his graduate students about this and he explained that the person dropped out partially because of the program fit and mostly due to her personal problems, however that person is in a different program than the one I applied to. Should I be worried?

On 3/5/2019 at 10:39 AM, LethalIntent024 said:

So currently I'm freaking out because I don't know what to think.

I applied to University of Florida's Clinical Psychology program with an emphasis in Neuropsychology and noticed someone received an offer of admission last Friday. I've been compulsively checking my email every 10 minutes for the last few days and have even reached out to PI's I'm interested in to see when I'd hear an official decision. Of course, no response yet. Should I expect a rejection? I've read some programs send out their offers in waves and that I could still be in the running but I'm not sure. If ANYONE has gone through this before, please give me clarity/closure lol

So I'm on the same page with UF, and I emailed my POI to check in and got confirmation that initial offers have been sent out. He mentioned we may have been notified if we were a high alternate but he wasn't 100% sure given that he is not on the admissions committee. I would recommend emailing Melissa Naidu for an update! Good luck!

54 minutes ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

Is it a red flag that the professor I applied to has student who dropped out before? I asked one of his graduate students about this and he explained that the person dropped out partially because of the program fit and mostly due to her personal problems, however that person is in a different program than the one I applied to. Should I be worried?

IMHO, only a red flag if they dropped out because of POI issues. If you got a good vibe on the the POI from your own meeting and speaking with grad students, you should be good. 

2 hours ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

no, you shouldn't be worried.

people drop out of phd programs across all academic disciplines all the time. and everytime someone does, the cause for the dropout certainly should not be automatically attributed to the POI.

I have an unofficial offer from a program and I would like to respond with my excitement/get an update on approval from the dean (the only thing stopping the offer from being official), but I don't want my excitement to come off as my accepting the offer if it comes because I still have one more interview to go. Does anyone have advice on this? Should I disclose the last interview?

4 hours ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

I'm not currently in psychology (switching fields), but I'll tell you my story. My PI is amazing! He's honestly one of my favorite things about my program. Working with him has been a dream...but I'm leaving. I want a career in psychology, so this just isn't a good fit anymore. Just sharing to show that it's possible that a student leaving has nothing to do with the PI. It could have to do with the PI, but there's an infinite number of other reasons for why they left.

59 minutes ago, Katie B said:

I have an unofficial offer from a program and I would like to respond with my excitement/get an update on approval from the dean (the only thing stopping the offer from being official), but I don't want my excitement to come off as my accepting the offer if it comes because I still have one more interview to go. Does anyone have advice on this? Should I disclose the last interview?

Congrats on your acceptance!!!  I don't think that they'll perceive your excitement as accepting the offer, unless you say that you're accepting the offer and sign paperwork.  So I wouldn't worry about that!  I might say something expressing your thanks and excitement, and then say something like "I will be sure to give you a decision by April 15th."  Of course they know that, but throwing that in there makes it clear that you're not yet accepting.  I don't think you need to disclose the other interview, because they'll assume that you have decisions to make or other interviews to still attend. :)    

Edited by clinical_psych_hopeful

any news from U of Denver after interviews? I know they have two interview dates, but I have seen on the results page that some results from the clinical program were released. Not sure about the other programs... anyone heard anything?

On 3/6/2019 at 6:17 PM, gradapp561 said:

has anyone received an admissions decision after interviewing at the university of denver? please message me!

8 hours ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

any news from U of Denver after interviews? I know they have two interview dates, but I have seen on the results page that some results from the clinical program were released. Not sure about the other programs... anyone heard anything?

No word from Denver speaking for myself and another student in the Developmental Psych thread. 

1 hour ago, UK_PhD_Applicant said:

Has anyone still not heard back from Nebraska-Lincoln?

If you check the results page 'thegradcafe.com/survey' you'd find that multiple persons have heard back and been waitlisted by Nebraska. Try emailing the departmental graduate studies co-ordinator if you're not sure.