Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

2 hours ago, jrc3000 said:

Gotcha, well that’s great for that person... now I’m nervous because that happened a week ago and I’ve still heard nothing but probably depends who their POI is (hopefully) 

I'm in the exact same boat so that's what I'm hoping too, feeling pretty nervous at this point

I need advice:

The DCT from a university that I was invited to interview with sent out our interview schedules and dates last week. The interview is NEXT week. Next week is also midterms week for my university and because of the time crunch, the flight in itself is $600+. They are not funding the interview and we will be paying for our hotel lodging as well. This university is my top choice and a perfect match for my research but I just do not have the money to get there. After searching all around campus for any type of funding assistance, I am still empty handed. I asked the DCT if it was possible to do a Skype interview because of my predicament. He said that the faculty would meet today to make a decision about remote interviewing. I'm silently freaking out. I don't know what else to do. I'm sure I can scrape some money together to get there if I have to (maybe a few missed meals and a lot of begging), but in total, I would be paying close to $1,000 for a chance at possible acceptance. Any recommendations?

Edited by Psychedoutandworried

1 hour ago, psychxgeekx said:

Has anyone heard from the University of Wyoming from the clinical psychology program? I know they said 2 weeks after interviews but looking at last years they sent acceptances this week?

I interviewed and my POI emailed me Friday to say they had accepted another applicant. I have a feeling that this process might be a lot like their interview invite process where it was entirely dependent on the professor when they reach out. I had sent my POI a "thank you" email and they replied to that with the news, so maybe if you haven't reached out that'd be a good way to get some news faster? Just an idea! Good luck to you!

30 minutes ago, Psychedoutandworried said:

I need advice:

The DCT from a university that I was invited to interview with sent out our interview schedules and dates last week. The interview is NEXT week. Next week is also midterms week for my university and because of the time crunch, the flight in itself is $600+. They are not funding the interview and we will be paying for our hotel lodging as well. This university is my top choice and a perfect match for my research but I just do not have the money to get there. After searching all around campus for any type of funding assistance, I am still empty handed. I asked the DCT if it was possible to do a Skype interview because of my predicament. He said that the faculty would meet today to make a decision about remote interviewing. I'm silently freaking out. I don't know what else to do. I'm sure I can scrape some money together to get there if I have to (maybe a few missed meals and a lot of begging), but in total, I would be paying close to $1,000 for a chance at possible acceptance. Any recommendations?

This is crazy! I had a similar situation where I had a school invite me to an interview a week early and I immediately said I couldn't afford it, but they were very understanding and let me do a skype interview with no issues. 

I completely understand why you would push for it if it's your top school, however. I'm not sure how they can expect you to pay for everything.. Maybe see if there's AirBnBs in the area? Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on there. Not to make assumptions, but does this school have good funding for their program in general? I'm very surprised to hear that they are giving you such short notice and then not offering any help, even if it's just to stay with a grad student on their couch or something. 

32 minutes ago, spookycat said:

This is crazy! I had a similar situation where I had a school invite me to an interview a week early and I immediately said I couldn't afford it, but they were very understanding and let me do a skype interview with no issues. 

I completely understand why you would push for it if it's your top school, however. I'm not sure how they can expect you to pay for everything.. Maybe see if there's AirBnBs in the area? Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on there. Not to make assumptions, but does this school have good funding for their program in general? I'm very surprised to hear that they are giving you such short notice and then not offering any help, even if it's just to stay with a grad student on their couch or something. 

I will definitely search for airbnbs! Historically the university has been really good about funding students with the majority receiving aid that covers tuition and travel as well as assistantships. 

1 hour ago, Psychedoutandworried said:

I need advice:

That is really terrible! Is this a school that tends to get a lot of local or regional students? I can’t imagine why they would give such short notice to people who need to fly in. I hope that they can make accommodations for you with Skype interviews, if not during the weekend, then at some time in between. Honestly though, this would make me concerned about the program. I know not every school can afford to fly students in, but they should at least give you time to make arrangements, not just financial, but for the rest of your life too. Is the program funded? It’s really horrible to make you feel like you need to spend that kind of money just to get admitted. I would make it clear to them that the school is your top choice, but you just can’t afford to come on such short notice and that you would still really like the chance to interview. I’m sorry this is happening. This whole process is so stressful!

54 minutes ago, paraent said:

numbers from last year suggest that post-interview decisions don't come out until early-to-mid march at the best so here i am feeling anxious every day again

What school are you referring to?

Does any one when the result of Duke Cognitive Neuroscience (CNAP) will come out?

Also, I'm on the interview waitlist of this program and it's my first choice. So if anyone doesn't intend to go, please please please don't keep it. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, uk2013 said:

Rejected from my top choice today. Am wondering if it was unprofessional to attach this mp3 file to my response email. Lmk?

I like the thought but it feels a little impersonal and formulaic? I'd invest in some body paint and record yourself singing the song (both parts). It's really not that big of an investment when you consider the application fees, interview travel, etc. 

(So sorry this happened! You're going to find your place ❤️ ) 

17 minutes ago, 9 of cups said:

Does anyone know what funding looks like for Seton Hall--Ga? tuitions waivers? health insurance? 

All I know is that tuition is waived for GA positions and you get a stipend. Idk about health insurance, I didn’t see anything about that in the handbook.