Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

7 minutes ago, philopsych said:

I think you're joking, but I'll give a serious answer: I got my PhD acceptance on April 15th...so hold on to the hope.

Kudos to you (and also congrats!!!) -- I was not entirely joking, though I do wish this does not have to be the case. Just expressing the agony of waiting! 

13 minutes ago, Waiting272 said:

Kudos to you (and also congrats!!!) -- I was not entirely joking, though I do wish this does not have to be the case. Just expressing the agony of waiting! 

I'm waiting with ya! That PhD acceptance was in a different field. Now I'm making the move into clinical psychology. I had an interview today, but they told me they had no idea when admissions decisions are going to be made ah!

37 minutes ago, philopsych said:

I'm waiting with ya! That PhD acceptance was in a different field. Now I'm making the move into clinical psychology. I had an interview today, but they told me they had no idea when admissions decisions are going to be made ah!

May the stars align for all of us! :) I look back fondly at how undergraduate admissions for college was much more predictable. 

3 hours ago, psychapplicant500 said:

Has anyone heard from Loyola Chicago post-interview?

I was told that they were meeting to decide acceptances today (the 18th). So we should start to hear back within a couple of days!

Any advice on how to withdraw your application from consideration from programs you've interviewed for? I haven't been accepted, so it's not like I'm turning down an offer. I just plan on accepting the offer I have, so I would like to withdraw my application from further consideration. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

43 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

Any advice on how to withdraw your application from consideration from programs you've interviewed for? I haven't been accepted, so it's not like I'm turning down an offer. I just plan on accepting the offer I have, so I would like to withdraw my application from further consideration. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I would only email schools you had interviews at to let them know you are taking a positions elsewhere and wish to remove your name from consideration, especially if it helps expedite the admissions process. 

If you didn’t get an interview somewhere, no need to email them. This late in the game you are probably being rejected and you reaching out only creates a backdrop of presumption on your part that won’t look good if you apply to the same programs and labs for post-doc and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

I would only email schools you had interviews at to let them know you are taking a positions elsewhere and wish to remove your name from consideration, especially if it helps expedite the admissions process. 

If you didn’t get an interview somewhere, no need to email them. This late in the game you are probably being rejected and you reaching out only creates a backdrop of presumption on your part that won’t look good if you apply to the same programs and labs for post-doc and beyond. 

Yes, I only plan on emailing the schools I interviewed for! I am just a bit of at a loss as to how to format the emails and what to include in them. Thank you :)

8 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

Congrats on getting accepted! I would say something like

Dear XXXX,

I really enjoyed interviewing at your program, I was especially impressed by/ enjoyed XYZ. It was great to have the opportunity to meet the faculty and students. However, I am writing to inform you that I have accepted an offer elsewhere, so I would like to withdraw my application from X. Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me at this point. I appreciate your time and consideration.

Thank you,

XX

Or something along those lines. I feel like you always want to be thoughtful in how you respond as you never know who your future colleagues will be, and your reputation is important. 

Congrats again!!