Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Prestige and connections matter a decent amount. Look through the CVs for profs at your school, your grad programs, places you'd like to be, etc. The same institutions will probably reappear a lot. Neurotree can help too.

A lab where you'll actually finish > a toxic but prestigious lab though 

Edited by round2_

Yeah, at minimum you would need an R1 institution, and since TT is so competitive, you would need to do a lot of pubs during school and try to aim for the higher tier universities. You can always land TT in R2 and R3 or SLAC schools as well, but you typically still want to have graduated from an R1. 

1 hour ago, Psygeek said:

Wasn't there a breakdown once that at least in (social?) psych 25% of the universities fill up 85% of the jobs on the academic job market or something in the US? 

Would love to see these numbers! From what I've been observing in clinical, the same strong Clinical Science/R1 schools are pretty much taking up all the new tt hires.

1 hour ago, RidiculousResearcher said:

Anyone looking into the PsyD at Denver University? I interviewed there this weekend and am trying to think through a lot of things.

Yes, how was it? My interview is next Friday.  I am trying to be realistic about $$, was originally trying to get into a funded program but the chances of that are looking slim ?

Edited by CallMeMaybe

I just wanted to address some of the concerns expressed on here about the UCF program (full disclosure, I’m a faculty member at UCF). First and foremost, the post in the results page is patently false. Indeed, you can easily fact check both of the issues raised in that person’s comment. First, the match comment. In the past 10 years, we have had 4 students not match (out of 54) in phase I. All four of those people went on to match, either in phase II, or the following year. Those are pretty decent match rates actually. This year, we had students match at some of the most prestigious internships in the country including Kennedy Krieger, Baltimore VA, and Brown – and, we had a 100% match rate in phase I. So, the notion that people aren’t matching is incorrect, and speaks to the validity of the comment in the first place. The second comment, which is far more egregious, is that one of our faculty is in trouble for data falsification. There isn’t a grain of truth to this. In fact, DB just received a $10 million research grant and a large endowment that will keep the important research she is doing churning along well after she decides to retire; these aren’t things that happen to someone under investigation. DB is simply transitioning away from children to work with combat veterans. To be sure, there is pressure in working with combat veterans, and it isn’t for everyone. I have a feeling that the person who posted comments attacking our program and faculty was doing so out of spite, not to warn potential students. Indeed, I would say that most of our students are quite happy with the training they get, and they are actively involved in helping to shape our program (we’ve even added student reps to our faculty meetings in order to give them a say in the direction the program moves as we adjust to APAs new accreditation standards). There are, as with all programs, differences across labs. I would encourage you to contact people in those labs to see what it’s really like, rather than relying on an anonymous post of a person who clearly has an axe to grind. If you have specific questions/concerns please feel free to reach out to me or any other faculty member. If you’re worried about getting a biased opinion, reach out to a student (I can assure you that my students will give you an open and honest answer – their emails can be found on my lab website). Hopefully this will allay the concerns/reservations that any potential students have. Best of luck to all of you in this process! BTW, for those wondering, UCF has made initial offers.
- Dr. D

On 2/24/2019 at 2:22 AM, HAC said:

Well from what my advisors told me (I am living in another country) the most important thing is if you don’t do a PhD at a top university then you will need to do a post doc at one. I’m not sure if that is also true for Americans, but here in Israel a lot of students do their PhDs here and then go abroad to a top 10 University to do their post doc.  

Yah, postdocs carry a lot of weight in at least our particular field. But then again, you're gonna have an edge getting that postdoc you want if you've gone to a top uni!

Hi, I am currently waitlisted at Fordham University for a forensic mentor. This is my absolute top choice. I have yet to see any acceptances to this program. Have unofficial offers gone out yet? Can you please message me if you are currently holding an offer and are still deciding, or what your current mindset it. Just so I can brace my self!

17 hours ago, ktwalsh said:

Has anyone heard back from UMBC? It's been almost 3 weeks since interviews and I haven't heard anything from them -- wondering if this means a rejection. 

I got an official rejection from them. It may be that you are waitlisted? I'm not sure, I'm sorry!

22 hours ago, CallMeMaybe said:

Yes, how was it? My interview is next Friday.  I am trying to be realistic about $$, was originally trying to get into a funded program but the chances of that are looking slim ?

Feel free to PM me afterward! It's a VERY expensive program, but it also really gave me the feeling that if I were to get a PsyD, DU offers among the best. They have a lot of opportunities for varied clinical experiences, research if you want to do research, and even ways to cross over into other departments. The money has me the most conflicted, absolutely.

4 hours ago, psychapplicant500 said:

If it has been 1 month since my interview, and I have not heard anything regarding my admission status, is it appropriate to email my POI? How would I phrase asking about my status?

Yes!  I think it's totally appropriate.  I would say something like: "Dear Dr. ________, I hope that this message finds you well!  I am hoping to inquire about my status post-interview.  I remain very interested in your research and attending _______ University.  Thank you!" 

In need of advice! 

So I have one remaining interview, and after attending other interviews and learning more about what to look for in potential programs, I have decided this program is not a good fit for me, and I don't want to go to the interview. I know the advice most times is to go anyways and see if my opinions change, but this school has some serious red flags that are coming up that I just can't imagine they can explain away at an interview. The problem is, the interview is in 4 days, and they arranged for me to stay with a graduate student while I was there.

In addition, I could only afford to fly into a larger airport about 2 hours away, and thus will have to pay for a rental car and drive two hours to and from the interview just to get to my flights. Although my flights are nonrefundable, I could still save probably $200 by not renting a car, not to mention I could instead be at my job and not have to take more unpaid vacation time.

I know this sounds very ungrateful, but this whole process has been so expensive and emotionally taxing, that I don't know if I should waste my time or theirs by attending the interview. I am worried that to cancel so last minute so rude that it will damage my reputation moving forward as a professional. Money and (much needed) R&R are obviously not worth this. If anyone can give me some advice, I'd really really appreciate it!

9 minutes ago, spookycat said:

In need of advice! 

So I have one remaining interview, and after attending other interviews and learning more about what to look for in potential programs, I have decided this program is not a good fit for me, and I don't want to go to the interview. I know the advice most times is to go anyways and see if my opinions change, but this school has some serious red flags that are coming up that I just can't imagine they can explain away at an interview. The problem is, the interview is in 4 days, and they arranged for me to stay with a graduate student while I was there.

In addition, I could only afford to fly into a larger airport about 2 hours away, and thus will have to pay for a rental car and drive two hours to and from the interview just to get to my flights. Although my flights are nonrefundable, I could still save probably $200 by not renting a car, not to mention I could instead be at my job and not have to take more unpaid vacation time.

I know this sounds very ungrateful, but this whole process has been so expensive and emotionally taxing, that I don't know if I should waste my time or theirs by attending the interview. I am worried that to cancel so last minute so rude that it will damage my reputation moving forward as a professional. Money and (much needed) R&R are obviously not worth this. If anyone can give me some advice, I'd really really appreciate it!

Just one person's opinion, but I really think it would be best to still go. I completely understand it is not somewhere you currently see yourself attending, and that you would rather give the spot to someone else. However, it is too late for them to replace your spot should you now decline. Also, it may be seen as disrespectful to the people and program who put so much time and effort into making interview weekend happen, especially the graduate student who offered to host you for the weekend. I would say it's best in this case to stick to the commitment you made and try to go and keep an open mind, as it is only fair to the program who kindly invited you among all the others they could have chosen to attend interview weekend.

17 minutes ago, spookycat said:

In need of advice! 

I actually had to make this decision last week! I had an interview scheduled for 2/25-2/26, but I knew that I was already going to commit to my first choice. It may seem like it's a bit rude to decline the offer, but it is probably best not to waste their time (or yours) if you do not plan in choosing that program even if you were to get in. In talking with the faculty member that I work with in a clinical lab as well as some grad students, I felt it best to kindly let the faculty member and grad student host know (on 2/21) that I'd accepted another offer and would no longer be attending. I have not heard back from the grad student (and honestly don't expect to), but the faculty member whom I applied to work with replied with congratulations on accepting a position and a kind note thanking me for letting her know. Hope this helps!