Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

4 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

If you check the results page 'thegradcafe.com/survey' you'd find that multiple persons have heard back and been waitlisted by Nebraska. Try emailing the departmental graduate studies co-ordinator if you're not sure.

Yes I have seen this, however a lot of people posted about rejections and I haven't received one. It says on my status that my application is still awaiting a decision

What does this mean? This application season has been a heart breaker for me and after 3 interviews, I was rejected by one and have heard from neither of the others, though others have gotten into both so I assume the worst. Plus a number of schools who have said NOTHING. One of those schools is DePaul, which was one of my favorite programs and I was bummed when I knew of others who got interviews. So, they definitely interviewed people for the program (Community Psychology) and I was not one of them. I just got a mass email from their financial aid office sent to newly admitted students. What does this mean? It's obviously too late there to talk to anyone today, though I sent an email inquiring to their grad school email address. I, obviously, can't help but entertain fantasies of what this could mean, but since I didn't interview I assume it's a screw up. I keep an eye on all of the schools that have been silent and haven't seen anyone else admitted. Prior to this email I was legitimately asking whether the local commuter college will even admit me for a 5th year MA at this point and do this whole thing again or just not. So, I would be thrilled if this actually meant I was in, but it doesn't mean that right?

18 hours ago, h20lily said:

What does this mean? This application season has been a heart breaker for me and after 3 interviews, I was rejected by one and have heard from neither of the others, though others have gotten into both so I assume the worst. Plus a number of schools who have said NOTHING. One of those schools is DePaul, which was one of my favorite programs and I was bummed when I knew of others who got interviews. So, they definitely interviewed people for the program (Community Psychology) and I was not one of them. I just got a mass email from their financial aid office sent to newly admitted students. What does this mean? It's obviously too late there to talk to anyone today, though I sent an email inquiring to their grad school email address. I, obviously, can't help but entertain fantasies of what this could mean, but since I didn't interview I assume it's a screw up. I keep an eye on all of the schools that have been silent and haven't seen anyone else admitted. Prior to this email I was legitimately asking whether the local commuter college will even admit me for a 5th year MA at this point and do this whole thing again or just not. So, I would be thrilled if this actually meant I was in, but it doesn't mean that right?

I'd say yeah it sounds like a screw up. Sucks that some of these programs we pay for just to submit an application can't keep their own financials/email listservs/clerical stuff in line.

2 hours ago, personallycentered said:

I'd say yeah it sounds like a screw up. Sucks that some of these programs we pay for just to submit an application can't keep their own financials/email listservs/clerical stuff in line.

21 hours ago, h20lily said:

Yeah unfortunately probably a screw up. Just last week I received an email directly from a program director asking for paperwork to reclassify my application type and assumed it meant they'd want to proceed with my candidacy...turns out they had already extended all acceptances and were just filing paperwork retroactively. A lot of places seem to have a pretty crummy process ? 

On 3/11/2019 at 3:57 PM, h20lily said:

I reached out to a couple of my schools POIs and they let me know individually that I wasn't selected. The portals for those schools haven't updated.

I have rather an unfortunate, and stupid question. Now, one of the unis I applied to never reviewed my application because the system assumed I needed to take the TOEFL. In truth, I didn't need to as I did both my undergrad and MPhil in the UK. When I realised this, I tried reaching out and didn't receive a response for awhile. Now, they corrected the situation (i.e. it says 'ready for review' rather than 'materials needed') but never got back to me. 

From here, I feel like the interview week passed. What do you think will happen? Do you think they will actually review the application or will I receive an automatic rejection? It sucks because the school was my first choice. 

7 hours ago, noxandrayza said:

I have rather an unfortunate, and stupid question. Now, one of the unis I applied to never reviewed my application because the system assumed I needed to take the TOEFL. In truth, I didn't need to as I did both my undergrad and MPhil in the UK. When I realised this, I tried reaching out and didn't receive a response for awhile. Now, they corrected the situation (i.e. it says 'ready for review' rather than 'materials needed') but never got back to me. 

From here, I feel like the interview week passed. What do you think will happen? Do you think they will actually review the application or will I receive an automatic rejection? It sucks because the school was my first choice. 

That's unfortunate. I would contact the DCT of the program. If this happened at our University, the DCT would review your app and likely send it to a few faculty for review as well. However, we review all applications, complete or not (even apps with no letters/GREs). There's an assumption that often the receipt of materials are outside of the applicants control. This has been the case for every University where I've worked. So, there's a chance your app was reviewed and you weren't selected for an interview. Regardless, I'd check on it to make sure. 

7 hours ago, noxandrayza said:

Many schools state on their website that it is the student's responsibility to ensure all their documents are complete and are sent to the department. However, if you can contact the departmental head and explain it to him while copying the grad school/international office, they might be inclined to review your application. The challenge, I believe, would be if they have sent out offers. They may not be inclined to appraise your application. 

9 hours ago, noxandrayza said:

at this point, it may not hurt to contact them respectfully,

I posted before that I emailed the school that interviewed me and I hadn't heard back. They emailed me last night and I don't know what to make of this email. They basically said that there's a limited number of spots and not every professor can take a student, but they'll keep me posted. Is this a kind rejection: your prof isn't getting any students this year? Or a kind waitlist: your prof might not be getting any students this year? I just don't know what I should be thinking about the possibility of future opportunities. Also, I want to respond to their email thanking them for the update and maybe slipping it in that they're my number 1 choice (the truth). Any suggestions of what I should say?

4 minutes ago, philopsych said:

I posted before that I emailed the school that interviewed me and I hadn't heard back. They emailed me last night and I don't know what to make of this email. They basically said that there's a limited number of spots and not every professor can take a student, but they'll keep me posted. Is this a kind rejection: your prof isn't getting any students this year? Or a kind waitlist: your prof might not be getting any students this year? I just don't know what I should be thinking about the possibility of future opportunities. Also, I want to respond to their email thanking them for the update and maybe slipping it in that they're my number 1 choice (the truth). Any suggestions of what I should say?

I don't think it means rejection yet, it might just mean that not every professor can take a student this year and maybe other professors are more prioritized than your POI, so they might just need to wait to see if there will be spots opening up for other professors to take students. Since they messaged you about keeping you posted I think you still have a chance. 

1 hour ago, philopsych said:

This is more of a waitlist situation. A lot of universities rank the faculty by their need for a graduate student and also some universities prioritize junior faculty over senior faculty. Many times by the end of the application process some faculty do not get to extend an offer to their top applicate due to the ranking system. 

I think it would be good to email them back and let them know that you're still interested. A similar situation happened to me but it all worked out. 

On 2/24/2019 at 2:08 PM, alihoff said:

Has anyone heard from UConn clinical psych? My partner interviewed over 3 weeks ago and we're dying over here without any information!

STILL haven't heard anything. I'm also in contact with another interviewee and she said she hasn't heard anything either. 

39 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Woah that Adelphi post! Is this an anomaly or did others who interviewed feel the same way? 

I know! I can't attest to the quality of the program, but I heard through other applicants I met at other interviews that the whole "stress interview" situation is very real there. Sounded intense!

2 hours ago, philopsych said:

Woah that Adelphi post! Is this an anomaly or did others who interviewed feel the same way? 

I've heard similar things from other application cycles. They're pretty old-school and the more "directive"/challenging/stress interviews skews towards their psychoanalytic origins. I'm not surprised, but it definitely isn't for everyone. I feel like folks who seek out Adelphi are probably the ones who want a psychoanalytic/psychodynamically oriented program. 

Does anyone have any insight about what's going on with Wake Forest? They told me I'd hear back last week and I'm still in the dark. There's been an acceptance and a rejection posted, and I've heard nothing. I don't think I should reach out to them again, so I was just wondering if anyone here had any info.

Needing some advice here... I have received an offer a little less than a month ago, and while talking with the POI I told him I would be able to decide if accepting the offer or not around mid-March, as I anticipated my last interview (last week of February) will have results by then. However, the last school I interviewed at turned out to have limited spots within the department and therefore the POI I applied to didn't even know if he could take a student this year, so the wait time can't be predicted. So should I tell the POI of the first school that I would need a little bit more time to wait on this second decision, or would that be inappropriate? Thanks!

19 minutes ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

Needing some advice here... I have received an offer a little less than a month ago, and while talking with the POI I told him I would be able to decide if accepting the offer or not around mid-March, as I anticipated my last interview (last week of February) will have results by then. However, the last school I interviewed at turned out to have limited spots within the department and therefore the POI I applied to didn't even know if he could take a student this year, so the wait time can't be predicted. So should I tell the POI of the first school that I would need a little bit more time to wait on this second decision, or would that be inappropriate? Thanks!

If it were me, I wouldn't hedge my bets on that last school. If a POI isn't sure they can take a student at this point, then it seems unlikely that they will. Did you have multiple POIs at that last school? If so, waiting a bit more might not hurt, depending on the size and funding situation of that school. If you've already received an official offer from the first school, then you technically have until April 15th to give them a yay or nay. I would wait for next week to send an email updating the first school on your status (that is, assuming they haven't been prompting you for an answer). I think it's fine to take your time; they understand that we are all in this waiting game... Best of luck! 

1 hour ago, CHOUFLEUR said:

I think you're totally okay! :) Even though you told them that you'd make a decision by mid-March, you have until April 15th.  I don't think it's be inappropriate to tell them you need more time to make a decision.  I think the exception is, of course, if the program that you already have an offer from is you're first choice--in that case, I'd go ahead and accept and not wait on the other program.  If the one  you're waiting on is the one you prefer, then you could say something like: "Although I hoped to be able to make a decision by mid-March, I am still waiting to hear from another program.  I am sorry to keep you and those on the waitlist waiting.  I am still very interested in your program.  I will be sure to give you an decision as soon as I am able to, by April 15th."  You can be honest--they understand that this kind of thing happens!    

1 hour ago, InfiniteLoop said:

Hi guys,

Any thoughts on what is an appropriate way to thank your LOR writers? I'm thinking of writing a handwritten note and mailing it to them, but does anyone else do something more elaborate?

I just sent a very thoughtful email. Handwritten notes are not necessary. 

1 hour ago, InfiniteLoop said:

Hi guys,

Any thoughts on what is an appropriate way to thank your LOR writers? I'm thinking of writing a handwritten note and mailing it to them, but does anyone else do something more elaborate?

I'm all for hand-written notes!  I think they're lovely, classy, and can mean a lot to people.  When I gave my thank you for LORs, it was around the holidays in December, so I gave it along with little Christmas gifts--things like a box of tea and some chocolate.  I've also heard of people giving things like a mug from the school that they'll be attending to LOR writers. :)