Re-taking CSD courses?

My GPA was 3.2 and my GRE scores are average. I have worked as a Bachelor Level SLP in  a school for almost a year now and thought that with that, my experience, and strong letters of recommendation that I would  get in somewhere. I got denied from two and wait listed for the rest. I am still on the wait list for three schools but I am trying to consider second options. This is my second year applying and I am feeling very discouraged. I am trying to decide if I should put myself through the process again for a third time...it is so draining I honestly do not know if I can do it again. There are a lot of other career choices in similar fields but I am also considering possibly re taking some of my CSD courses that lowered my GPA??? If anyone knows what schools offer CSD courses without declaring an actual major that would be great.

I am not giving up hope yet, I just want to get my options open!

Eastern New Mexico University offers a program. You apply using their graduate app, but you take their UG courses. I accidentally applied as a UG transfer, and emailed the person in charge of the speech department, and she worked her magic and put me into the classes I needed. 

It's pretty cheap. One course cost me about $850, compared to a local university where I'd pay $2000 and have to drive a 1.5 one way. If you don't mind one classes, I'd suggest checking them out. 

15 hours ago, rebeccank17 said:

My GPA was 3.2 and my GRE scores are average. I have worked as a Bachelor Level SLP in  a school for almost a year now and thought that with that, my experience, and strong letters of recommendation that I would  get in somewhere. I got denied from two and wait listed for the rest. I am still on the wait list for three schools but I am trying to consider second options. This is my second year applying and I am feeling very discouraged. I am trying to decide if I should put myself through the process again for a third time...it is so draining I honestly do not know if I can do it again. There are a lot of other career choices in similar fields but I am also considering possibly re taking some of my CSD courses that lowered my GPA??? If anyone knows what schools offer CSD courses without declaring an actual major that would be great.

If this is what you really want to do I would recommend trying!  If you think your GPA is what's holding you back then you should definitely retake some classes.  I took online classes at the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire, and I really enjoyed their CSD classes.  I also volunteered in the field but if you're working as a SLP in a school that should be good in regards to experience.  Best of luck! 

16 hours ago, rebeccank17 said:

Hype did you find a job in a school with your bachelors? Is that something your state does?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, hopefulSLP2be7 said:

Hype did you find a job in a school with your bachelors? Is that something your state does?

It varies by  state and county. The county I grew up in nearby will not hire you with a bachelors but this county does. They started this program hoping we would get our Masters and be able to continue to work in their county since there is such a shortage of SLPs. I heard about it through a family friend...maybe you could contact the counties? Even in my county only certain schools would hire someone without their Masters and that was up to the school. So everything varies I think...I am sure if you research enough you could find something similar! 

@rebeccank17 I would say go for it, if you have the money to do so. I had a GPA just slightly above yours, average GRE scores, and 4 years of relevant work experience. I retook two courses that I got C's in the first time. I retook them at ENMU online and got A's. I don't know if that is specifically what got me into 4 of the schools I applied to, but every bit helps! 

3 hours ago, HooHooHooHoosiers said:

@rebeccank17 I would say go for it, if you have the money to do so. I had a GPA just slightly above yours, average GRE scores, and 4 years of relevant work experience. I retook two courses that I got C's in the first time. I retook them at ENMU online and got A's. I don't know if that is specifically what got me into 4 of the schools I applied to, but every bit helps! 

I agree with @HooHooHooHoosiers  When I graduated undergrad, my GPA was a 3.1 with slightly above average GRE scores.  I retook every class I got a C or worse in and made sure I got an A the second time around.  I took a couple graduate courses and worked as an SLPA for 2 years, too.  I got into 6 out of the 8 schools I applied to this year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 6:39 PM, HooHooHooHoosiers said:

Did you retake CSD classes that you go C's in? I got a C in audiology and I'm debating on whether or not I should retake it. I've never applied but am applying for Fall 2019. My GPA is 3.51 and I'm trying to really do well on the GRE to counter it.

I feel like it depends on the programs you are applying to and the area you are looking at! I am from the NJ/NY/PA/D.C area and got into schools in all 3 states with a 3.2 GPA and average GRE Scores after waiting a year. I worked for a year, had killer recs and a personal statement, and CALLED the departments on a biweekly basis as well as emailed the programs to show to show my continued interest. 

Some programs look at students more holistically than others. I applied to 10 schools and got into 2 of them, then waitlisted at 5 (3 of which I got a yes from after frequent follow ups). Persistence is definitely KEY! Good Luck!

22 hours ago, mountaingirl135 said:

Did you retake CSD classes that you go C's in? I got a C in audiology and I'm debating on whether or not I should retake it. I've never applied but am applying for Fall 2019. My GPA is 3.51 and I'm trying to really do well on the GRE to counter it.

I’d say definitely retake it because at some schools a C will not be acceptable! I got accepted to a school and thought I was all set with my prerequisites but just found out I need to retake Audiology this summer because I got a C+. Check the schools you’re applying to to see if they have a policy for grades on the prerequisite courses. :) 

@Jbslp95 I've been trying to do some research on it but haven't been able to find an exact answer. I think I'll have to call the department! My top choice does say online that if in field applicants haven't taken audiology, that they would be able to in the grad program as an elective. So I'm wondering that maybe they'd just make me retake it in grad school if I was admitted. I was feeling really good about everything else but am now starting to panic about this because I got a C in physics too :( 

Are you taking audiology online? I'm wondering if it's too late to sign up for a course this summer.

Edited by mountaingirl135

12 hours ago, SLP112494 said:

I feel like it depends on the programs you are applying to and the area you are looking at! I am from the NJ/NY/PA/D.C area and got into schools in all 3 states with a 3.2 GPA and average GRE Scores after waiting a year. I worked for a year, had killer recs and a personal statement, and CALLED the departments on a biweekly basis as well as emailed the programs to show to show my continued interest. 

Some programs look at students more holistically than others. I applied to 10 schools and got into 2 of them, then waitlisted at 5 (3 of which I got a yes from after frequent follow ups). Persistence is definitely KEY! Good Luck!

Were you calling departments once you started applying? My top choice is where I went for undergrad and I'm still in contact with a professor there so I'm hoping that counts for something. I'm on the low end for their preferred GPA (3.51) and I'm not sure what they look for in an applicant.

3 hours ago, Tjl2016 said:

How does CSDCAS deal with retakes if you retake a class after you graduate?? Does the system average the grades or does it take the last grade? 

They average the grades.  I had some classes I either dropped (20 years ago) and retook and that counted against me.  I had a horrible undergrad GPA of 2.8 and had a 3.5 in Communication courses.  After averaging everything I was at a 2.7 overall because of retaking classes or the drops.  I am shooting for schools that take the last 60 credits because I was young and stupid once.  So now I am working on a different Masters and have a 4.0.  Hopefully that will offset my partying ways from years ago.  

It's up to you whether you want to retake undergraduate courses or not. I received three C's in undergraduate courses, 1 in a speech class and I didn't retake them and was still accepted into three universities. This is advice from my graduate program about retaking courses. I found it helpful and thought I would share. Just something to consider.

Retaking courses is generally not recommended, except under extreme circumstances. There are two main reasons for this. First, when your transcripts are reviewed by an admissions  committee, they will  recognize that you have retaken courses, and may view this as an indication that you will have difficulty with graduate level coursework. Second, once you accumulate a large number of credit hours, the  impact of a grade change becomes smaller.  To restate, the more credit hours you  accumulate, the smaller the impact a retaken course grade will have on your GPA.  You should learn to  do your own GPA calculations and test out the “what if” scenario for yourself before retaking a class.   Retaking classes is usually not a very productive strategy for raising your undergraduate GPA and  improving your graduate school application, and is expensive as well as time‐consuming.  It is important  to discuss your concerns with your advisor before deciding how best to proceed.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:52 AM, mountaingirl135 said:

Yes they were CSD courses! 

On 5/24/2018 at 10:30 AM, mountaingirl135 said:

@Jbslp95 I've been trying to do some research on it but haven't been able to find an exact answer. I think I'll have to call the department! My top choice does say online that if in field applicants haven't taken audiology, that they would be able to in the grad program as an elective. So I'm wondering that maybe they'd just make me retake it in grad school if I was admitted. I was feeling really good about everything else but am now starting to panic about this because I got a C in physics too :( 

Are you taking audiology online? I'm wondering if it's too late to sign up for a course this summer.

That makes sense! I’d call and find out. If you don’t have to take it now don’t! And don’t worry, I didn’t get the awesome grades I’d hoped to in my prereqs and I still got in!

Im gonna take it this summer at ENMU. The class starts like June 4th. 

On 5/24/2018 at 10:38 AM, mountaingirl135 said:

Were you calling departments once you started applying? My top choice is where I went for undergrad and I'm still in contact with a professor there so I'm hoping that counts for something. I'm on the low end for their preferred GPA (3.51) and I'm not sure what they look for in an applicant.

I called them once I started applying, but make sure the department wants to hear from students because some dont! I looked into professors that I had common interests with and emailed them as well and provided new information about what I was learning at my job (I worked at a school for students with special needs). Some schools definitely look out for students that show a strong interest, out of all of the applications they receive it can definitely help you stand out!

On 5/25/2018 at 4:48 PM, sauntare said:

They average the grades.  I had some classes I either dropped (20 years ago) and retook and that counted against me.  I had a horrible undergrad GPA of 2.8 and had a 3.5 in Communication courses.  After averaging everything I was at a 2.7 overall because of retaking classes or the drops.  I am shooting for schools that take the last 60 credits because I was young and stupid once.  So now I am working on a different Masters and have a 4.0.  Hopefully that will offset my partying ways from years ago.  

I had a not so impressive undergrad GPA (3.2) then took prerequisites and it helped a little bit. I think if you perform strong in your CSD classes, they overlook you other grades. I completed my bachelor's in 2007 and applied for the 2018 cycle. 

You sound similar to me. I had a 3.2 in undergrad classes, took some prerequisites and it went up a little bit. My GPA was average as well .... 289 total I think. I also work as Speech Assistant in my local public school system. I was rejected from two schools, waitlisted at one, accepted at the University of DC (where I'll be going) and I still have one more out there for Spring 2019. If this is something you want to do, keep trying. You never know when your time will come and you don't want to give  up and keep wondering. It IS exhausting. Schools evaluate students differently. Maybe time to retake the classes and then reapply.