Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

46 minutes ago, Jane464652 said:

The same thing happened to me but they said it won't affect us..phewf! Is this your first time applying to this program? 

It is! You?

2 hours ago, WMH.18 said:

**Edit** Admissions got back to me and confirmed that they recently updated their system but that it doesn't affect past applications. Phew! They also said they hope to have decisions out in the next couple of weeks.

---------------

Does anyone else's Laurier LORIS Supplemental Document page look different than when they originally submitted at the beginning of the year? I swear it said all of my information was uploaded and no additional action was needed but the page is different today (not that I've been checking daily or anything...) and it looks like it's saying it wasn't submitted! 

I was just leaving for the gym when I saw this so my pre-workout had me freaking out a little extra. ?

Thanks for looking into this! I had noticed something seemed different when I checked LORIS yesterday. 
I hope their decisions are out soon, the wait is agonizing. I'm starting a different MSW program in a week but am still kinda hoping for Laurier. :P 

2 hours ago, WMH.18 said:

It is! You?

Yes it is. I wasn't aware when I applied that this program had such limited spots. I doubt I will get in. I have a 3.7 average and I thought that was decent but I guess people are saying 4.0! I'm kind of bummed out about it. Do you have a backup plan if you don't get in to Laurier? I don't know of any other online SW degrees that will take psychology undergrad. 

21 hours ago, Jane464652 said:

Yes it is. I wasn't aware when I applied that this program had such limited spots. I doubt I will get in. I have a 3.7 average and I thought that was decent but I guess people are saying 4.0! I'm kind of bummed out about it. Do you have a backup plan if you don't get in to Laurier? I don't know of any other online SW degrees that will take psychology 

It's hard to say, I know someone that's in the program who has a 3.2 so they clearly took other things into consideration. I'd like to think that for a progressive program like Laurier's, that it isn't just about academic output.

I don't have have a backup plan. ? I'm in the same boat (psych undergrad) and I'm not sure what I'll do if I don't get in. I really don't want to do a BSW to get into a MSW program so ?‍♀️.

On 8/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, prospectclin said:

Would anyone who was accepted to the 2 yr MSW program at U of T or Laurier be willing to msg me (or post) their GPA/years of experience/field of experience etc...? I was waitlisted this year and to be honest, I thought I was a shoo-in for this program LOL sadly not the case. I’ve spoken to U of T about improving my application but they’ve been pretty vague so I feel a little lost as to what to do next...

Hey, I'll try to help as much as possible!

My degree is an Honours BASc and my major was Family and Community Social Services (basically a BSW but not a BSW lol). 

While I was in undergrad I had three placements: 1 at a retirement facility (half year), 2 at Big Brothers Big Sisters (full year), and 3 with an addiction agency (full year). Big brothers hired me during the summer after my placement. 

I volunteered at a hospital for a year and a half once a week for a few hours starting in my first year. 

I also participated in undergrad research in my third and fourth year, which resulted in a publication/conference presentation. In addition I helped organise a symposium at my school for my program and I was a student representative for my program. 

In my third year I traveled to Japan on a study abroad and studied Soka Education (complicated to explain lol). I noticed the values of Soka Education were not so different from Social Work and I made sure to highlight that which added a unique component to my application. 

All of the above experiences I highlighted in my application and related it to my future social work practice, which I think helped a lot. UofT is very academic oriented so I think my GPA (90%+) and my research experience is what helped the most. 

Honestly, what I've learned is that the acceptance process is super random. I fully expected to be rejected or waitlisted from UofT like I was from Laurier, but I was surprised with an acceptance. I genuinely think its about making yourself stand out from other applications by highlighting unique experiences, not just what they want to hear. Try again and make sure to highlight how you made your application different from last year!!!!!! Talk about travelling (if you've done so) and cultural competence. Talk about the things you're super passionate about (even if its not social work related) and relate it back to social work. Talk about diversity and equity because those are the two main values of the school! If you were waitlisted, it already means you had a great application. 

I know this is long, SORRY! As I typed I was reminded of more things I did that may have helped lol. If you have more questions lmk :)

Edited by ap123

On 8/7/2019 at 12:25 PM, prospectclin said:

Would anyone who was accepted to the 2 yr MSW program at U of T or Laurier be willing to msg me (or post) their GPA/years of experience/field of experience etc...? I was waitlisted this year and to be honest, I thought I was a shoo-in for this program LOL sadly not the case. I’ve spoken to U of T about improving my application but they’ve been pretty vague so I feel a little lost as to what to do next...

I started the 2-year online program at Laurier in May. I have been a Child and Youth Care Practitioner since I graduated college nearly a decade ago. I work for the school board where I have worked in a variety of classes including, mainstream, specialized programs for students with autism, developmental delays and dual diagnosis of low cognitive ability and behavior/mental health disorders, for the last 3 years I have worked in an Alternative High School program for Indigenous students. I previously worked for the City of Ottawa special needs department working in, then running therapeutic rec and day treatment programs for children with autism and children with mental health disorders. I did placements in a day treatment program for youth with mental health and a housing program for justice-involved young males. I graduated with my BA in Child and Youth Care with a 3.97 GPA. The program is excellent so far although there have been some growing pains and tech issues at times as the online program is still quite new. 

7 hours ago, Mjones said:

Has anyone who has applied to the Advanced standing MSW at Laurier recieved their acceptance letters as of yet? I am so anxious I can barely stand it. I pray I get in and good luck to all those that applied. 

Haven't received anything unfortunately. If I remember correctly, when I read through last year's thread, it seemed like decisions didn't roll out until late October or November. Quite a long wait considering the deadline to apply was May. I hope the decisions are out earlier this year, the wait is agonizing. 

17 hours ago, blueeyedblonde said:

Haven't received anything unfortunately. If I remember correctly, when I read through last year's thread, it seemed like decisions didn't roll out until late October or November. Quite a long wait considering the deadline to apply was May. I hope the decisions are out earlier this year, the wait is agonizing. 

Admissions said they hope to have them out in the next couple of weeks. Someone I know who applied in May for this January's cohort didn't hear back until November. ?

I just got an email from U of T that I was unfortunately not accepted off the waitlist for their 1 year advanced standing full-time program. Not really surprised, as it seems to be very competitive! I enjoy my current job, so I'm fine sticking around for another year while I embark on the MSW application process another time.

Has anyone started a 2020 application threat yet on here? I'm planning on re-applying to U of T, as well as applying to:

- York's full-time advanced standing MSW
- Waterloo's full-time online MSW
- Dal's online (part-time) MSW

FOUND IT! THANKS FOR STARTING THIS NEW THREAD @rolearly34 :)

I just got an email from U of T that I was unfortunately not accepted off the waitlist for their 1 year advanced standing full-time program. Not really surprised, as it seems to be very competitive! I enjoy my current job, so I'm fine sticking around for another year while I embark on the MSW application process another time.

Has anyone started a 2020 application threat yet on here? I'm planning on re-applying to U of T, as well as applying to:

On 9/4/2019 at 11:05 PM, Mjones said:

I talked to sir wilfred laurier MSW dept and they said decisions and emails going out will be within the  next two weeks. So soon, we will know. Good luck to everyone that applied. 

This process is stressful for sure. The academic advisor said that they try to get the decisions out at least four months prior to start date. But I am glad someone was told that they will go out in the next few weeks. I applied and didn't get into three programs UBC, SFU and , UNB for their counseling psychology programs. These programs just keep getting harder to get into. I just hope that I don't find out on my birthday that I didn't get in I'll be depressed enough about not getting in but on my birthday that would be the worst lol. But I hope we all find out soon. 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

Message me and ill give you some insider tips for uoft. Current advance standing student here. 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

I was waitlisted as well and never received an email to let me know I was rejected.Obviously I have been as no contact was made, but just surprising how varied their responses have been!

6 hours ago, xliterati said:

I was waitlisted as well and never received an email to let me know I was rejected.Obviously I have been as no contact was made, but just surprising how varied their responses have been!

Oh, yeah it is surprising. Will you be reapplying?

Hi all, I literally JUST got waitlisted for the WLU advanced standing program Jan 2020- does anyone have any experience with how many people come off this list? The original email stated they only allow 20 people on their wait list.

2 hours ago, Maturenotwise said:

I also got an acceptance letter today via email for Wilfrid Laurier, January 2020 start!! Good luck everyone! It came earlier than I anticipated :) 

Congratulations! Also for the advanced standing?

I just checked LORIS and was not accepted for Laurier's online MSW; 20 years experience in mental health and addictions.  BA in Psychology (with honours) and a post graduate diploma in addiction studies and a registered psychotherapist with CRPO.  Not sure what else I could have done to have been accepted.  Time will tell what my next steps are.

37 minutes ago, LauraCC said:

I just checked LORIS and was not accepted for Laurier's online MSW; 20 years experience in mental health and addictions.  BA in Psychology (with honours) and a post graduate diploma in addiction studies and a registered psychotherapist with CRPO.  Not sure what else I could have done to have been accepted.  Time will tell what my next steps are.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I just checked as well and was not accepted either. I really didn't expect to be once I learned how competitive the program is (and how few students they accept), but it is still disappointing.

3 hours ago, blueeyedblonde said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I just checked as well and was not accepted either. I really didn't expect to be once I learned how competitive the program is (and how few students they accept), but it is still disappointing.

Same here. ?