Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

7 hours ago, WMH.18 said:

Has anyone else applied for the January 2020 part-time online MSW program at Laurier? After reading this thread, I know it's madness to expect a response this early but I'm going batty waiting. ?

I was thinking about it but was told by one of the outreach ppl that there are usually 400-500 applicants and 20 spots?? Was anyone else told that?

6 hours ago, prospectclin said:

I was thinking about it but was told by one of the outreach ppl that there are usually 400-500 applicants and 20 spots?? Was anyone else told that?

????????????

14 hours ago, prospectclin said:

I don't remember exact numbers, but I was also told they get hundreds of applications and only take a handful of people (I thought it was 30, but it may have been less). I don't have high hopes of getting in, but it was worth a shot. ?

Hi! I'm a future MSW applicant looking for advice.

I have 2 years of research assistant experience and will have over 1 year of experience as a support worker when I send in my applications. 
My gpa is about 3.6-3.7. I want to do a two-year MSW. 
I have my top choices and have done pretty thorough research into them. I'm still really anxious about applying and potentially not getting into any program. I need a back-up.
What would you all say is the school that admits the most amount of people/lowest requirements/etc. and is essentially one of the easier schools to get into? I understand that an MSW is not an easy thing to be admitted to. I just need to have something to fall back on!

Any advice is appreciated.

Does anyone have experience using a college professor as a reference? Or do professor references need to come from a university institution for an MSW?

The college professor reference(s) would have taught me in a graduate certificate program (addictions) and all hold graduate level credentials (MSW, MA ...) Would that be okay?

Thanks! :) 

22 hours ago, rolearly34 said:

Hi! I'm a future MSW applicant looking for advice.

I have 2 years of research assistant experience and will have over 1 year of experience as a support worker when I send in my applications. 
My gpa is about 3.6-3.7. I want to do a two-year MSW. 
I have my top choices and have done pretty thorough research into them. I'm still really anxious about applying and potentially not getting into any program. I need a back-up.
What would you all say is the school that admits the most amount of people/lowest requirements/etc. and is essentially one of the easier schools to get into? I understand that an MSW is not an easy thing to be admitted to. I just need to have something to fall back on!

Any advice is appreciated.

I know some people who were not admitted to a 2-year MSW but got into a less competitive post-degree 1-3 year BSW program. The BSW allowed them to raise their GPA even more and gain experience. After that they were admitted to the 1-year MSW program.

As an applicant this upcoming cycle myself, I am not sure which 2-year programs might be less competitive but that would also be good to know! :) 

On 6/19/2019 at 7:05 PM, prospectclin said:

Yes. I’m applying for a May 2020 start and was told this exact same thing. For each start date for the MSW program (which is three times a year) Laurier accepts 20 students which works out to be 60/year. I was also told to expect to begin hearing about acceptance 4 months before the start of the program. So for a January start date that would be September. 

On 6/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, caramilk said:

Does anyone have experience using a college professor as a reference? Or do professor references need to come from a university institution for an MSW?

The college professor reference(s) would have taught me in a graduate certificate program (addictions) and all hold graduate level credentials (MSW, MA ...) Would that be okay?

I tried using a college instructor as my academic reference when applying to my BSW, (he had an MSW and taught me several classes (including my placement seminar) and I was made to switch it for a former university professor within a very short timeframe... I think it depends on what school you're applying to, but I would try using a university prof just to be safe! 

On 6/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, caramilk said:

It is entirely possible to have a college professor be your reference for the MSW. It sounds like they all are very qualified since they have graduate level credentials. If you want to be certain, contact the specific school to inquire if they have a preference or not. 

I had two Social Service Worker professors from Sheridan College be my references for the Advanced Standing MSW. I was advised by some professors that I should have one college professor be my reference for each school (if I wanted to include a college professor's reference) and that the rest of the references should be from university professors and/or practical references. 

For York, my references were a university professor, a SSW professor (who had her PhD in Adult Education and Community Development from U of T), and a volunteer services manager from a disability agency. 

For Laurier, my references were a university professor, a SSW professor (who had her Masters in Adult Education and Community Development from U of T), and a volunteer services manager from a disability agency. 

I personally thought that using both a university and college professor for each school demonstrated the diverse skill set I have acquired from both schools. In addition, my college professors knew me longer, so they were able to include that into their reference. 

It's really up to you how you want to do your references and the requirements of each specific school :) 

Edited by SC-MSW 2019

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, y'all

I ended up getting into Ryerson off the wait list! I'm super thrilled to be starting this September and avoid paying American tuition at ASU. Is there a facebook group or anything for the cohort this year? I'm looking to connect with other people in the program so if you're also going feel free to DM me and we can add each other on social media or something. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Hey everyone,

Anyone out there attending Carleton for their MSW starting in September 2019?  Or currently attending Carleton's MSW? Looking to connect with some people, so feel free to DM me!  Thanks :)  

Would also love to hear reviews :) interested for 2020!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 11:13 AM, Laurabeth79 said:

Hey everyone,

Anyone out there attending Carleton for their MSW starting in September 2019?  Or currently attending Carleton's MSW? Looking to connect with some people, so feel free to DM me!  Thanks :)  

I'm starting the 2 year MSW at Carleton in Sept! Wondering if there's a fb group or something for our cohort but I couldn't find anything.. Are you in the 2 year?

8 minutes ago, hopefulMSW1 said:

Anyone else still on the waiting list for UofT 2 year MSW? And how likely is it that we'd get off the waiting list at this point? ?

There’s still hope until end of August according to previous years.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:52 PM, hopefulMSW1 said:

Anyone else still on the waiting list for UofT 2 year MSW? And how likely is it that we'd get off the waiting list at this point? ?

On 7/22/2019 at 10:04 PM, mswmbapp said:

There’s still hope until end of August according to previous years.

? I am. Trying not to lose hope, but already making other arrangements (job, travel, etc.) with a view of having to reapply next year. Hard to be in limbo this long. I'll take that hope, thanks @mswmbapp!