Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

On 7/27/2019 at 1:53 PM, Ihatethissomuch said:

I'm still on the wait list for the 1 year advanced standing program at U of T. I don't expect to hear anything and have been instead looking for full time work and making plans to re-apply for next year. It's pretty disheartening and frustrating, but what else can i do? 

Hey! I'm on the exact boat as you are except I got waitlisted for the 2-year program. I'm really re-evaluating if Social Work is really for me. I'm also considering to re-apply for next year. I'm planning to apply for B.Ed too as a backup and see what happens. I've also heard that the Ford government is cutting down the social work jobs so I'm also taking that in my re-evaluation. 

On 7/22/2019 at 9:52 PM, hopefulMSW1 said:

Anyone else still on the waiting list for UofT 2 year MSW? And how likely is it that we'd get off the waiting list at this point? ?

I'm still waiting for that too! I just hope we hear the good news soon. Also, I'm thinking of upgrading my research methods since UofT wants 75% in it, but idk how I still got waitlisted. Does anyone know if I should still upgrade those grades? 

Not sure if anyone is still on this particular forum, but I have a question regarding the Advanced Standing MSW requirements for research methodology course. U of T requires a Mid-B, which they've mentioned is a 73% or higher. I have a B (unsure of the percentage since my school doesn't list my grade as a percentage). Does anyone know if its just the minimum you have to hit, or do they place an application at higher value if you have a higher grade than the minimum? I'm trying to decide if I should redo research methodology to get a higher grade, although the U of T admissions person said this likely isn't necessarily/that I should focus my application on other areas. Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Thanks  so much!

13 minutes ago, Danny11 said:

Not sure if anyone is still on this particular forum, but I have a question regarding the Advanced Standing MSW requirements for research methodology course. U of T requires a Mid-B, which they've mentioned is a 73% or higher. I have a B (unsure of the percentage since my school doesn't list my grade as a percentage). Does anyone know if its just the minimum you have to hit, or do they place an application at higher value if you have a higher grade than the minimum? I'm trying to decide if I should redo research methodology to get a higher grade, although the U of T admissions person said this likely isn't necessarily/that I should focus my application on other areas. Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Thanks  so much!

Call and ask

Would anyone who was accepted to the 2 yr MSW program at U of T or Laurier be willing to msg me (or post) their GPA/years of experience/field of experience etc...? I was waitlisted this year and to be honest, I thought I was a shoo-in for this program LOL sadly not the case. I’ve spoken to U of T about improving my application but they’ve been pretty vague so I feel a little lost as to what to do next...

For anyone interested - I just spoke to an Admissions Advisor at Laurier in regards to the 2 year online part-time MSW program, she let me know that about 40 applicants are accepted with over 400 applications received! Makes me nervous but I guess all we can do is try and see! ? I also asked whether an academic reference can include a college professor as opposed to a university prof, and she said it was no problem. Best of luck to everyone, let me know if you want to commiserate about the application process hahaha!

2 hours ago, rofskis said:

For anyone interested - I just spoke to an Admissions Advisor at Laurier in regards to the 2 year online part-time MSW program, she let me know that about 40 applicants are accepted with over 400 applications received! Makes me nervous but I guess all we can do is try and see! ? I also asked whether an academic reference can include a college professor as opposed to a university prof, and she said it was no problem. Best of luck to everyone, let me know if you want to commiserate about the application process hahaha!

Thanks for the info! The odds are depressing. I've been accepted into another program but I'd much prefer Laurier. Did they give you any idea about how many months you'd be waiting before decisions go out? 

21 hours ago, blueeyedblonde said:

Thanks for the info! The odds are depressing. I've been accepted into another program but I'd much prefer Laurier. Did they give you any idea about how many months you'd be waiting before decisions go out? 

No problem! No sadly, I didn't get a chance to ask that! So many questions, so little time ? Which program were you accepted to? Congratulations!!

On 8/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, rofskis said:

No problem! No sadly, I didn't get a chance to ask that! So many questions, so little time ? Which program were you accepted to? Congratulations!!

Thank you! :) I got into the University of Windsor's 16 Working Professionals program. It starts next month, so odds are I will just be going ahead with that program unless Laurier gets back to me before then (which I doubt).

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who got in :).  I'm a hopeful MSW candidate looking for advice. I am very interested in the Laurier part-time online program in order to continue working but also looking into other options.

I graduated 2 years ago from UBC with a BA. I came out of it with about a C+ average. Yeah, pretty low. I have always wanted to go back to school for grad studies and after a year of figuring it out, I realize MSW is what I would like to pursue. I currently work in Human Resources/Employment (as it pays the bills and wasn't able to find a position in mental health when I initially graduated) - actively looking for new positions. Within the year, I completed a certificate in Community Case Management in Mental Health hoping it would lead me towards the right track. I have about 2.5 years of volunteer experience in the mental health field back in BC and I am now currently pursuing relevant volunteer opportunities.

My issue, however, is increasing my GPA. Would you guys advice pursing a BSW before the MSW or doing relevant courses in order to boost my GPA?

I am hoping to applying within the next 2 years.

Any advice helps! Thank you :) 

11 hours ago, eagerbutfreakingout said:

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who got in :).  I'm a hopeful MSW candidate looking for advice. I am very interested in the Laurier part-time online program in order to continue working but also looking into other options.

I graduated 2 years ago from UBC with a BA. I came out of it with about a C+ average. Yeah, pretty low. I have always wanted to go back to school for grad studies and after a year of figuring it out, I realize MSW is what I would like to pursue. I currently work in Human Resources/Employment (as it pays the bills and wasn't able to find a position in mental health when I initially graduated) - actively looking for new positions. Within the year, I completed a certificate in Community Case Management in Mental Health hoping it would lead me towards the right track. I have about 2.5 years of volunteer experience in the mental health field back in BC and I am now currently pursuing relevant volunteer opportunities.

My issue, however, is increasing my GPA. Would you guys advice pursing a BSW before the MSW or doing relevant courses in order to boost my GPA?

It's a very individualized decision. I know that it was a huge benefit for me to pursue my BSW after my degree. I took off a few years before pursuing my BSW but it raised my GPA quite a bit. The benefit is you'll be immersed in the material you will be studying during your MSW. There are some programs, like Laurier, that only look at the last 5 courses or so but others like U of C look at the last 20 courses. So I would just weigh out your options. There are quite a few distance online programs for BSW where you could work at the same time. Feel free to message me if you have questions about my experience!

14 hours ago, eagerbutfreakingout said:

I think you would benefit from doing the BSW program first. The 2 year MSW programs are more competitive than the 1 year (though both seem very competitive!) and getting the one year BSW will also give you the chance to raise your gpa. A BSW program will also give you the opportunity to give you more experience as I’ve noticed a lot of people who were accepted have several years experience working in the field / research work plus volunteer experience. 

6 hours ago, annley said:

It's a very individualized decision. I know that it was a huge benefit for me to pursue my BSW after my degree. I took off a few years before pursuing my BSW but it raised my GPA quite a bit. The benefit is you'll be immersed in the material you will be studying during your MSW. There are some programs, like Laurier, that only look at the last 5 courses or so but others like U of C look at the last 20 courses. So I would just weigh out your options. There are quite a few distance online programs for BSW where you could work at the same time. Feel free to message me if you have questions about my experience!

Thank you so much! This really put me at ease. I will definitely send you a message, to hear more about your experience!

3 hours ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

I think you would benefit from doing the BSW program first. The 2 year MSW programs are more competitive than the 1 year (though both seem very competitive!) and getting the one year BSW will also give you the chance to raise your gpa. A BSW program will also give you the opportunity to give you more experience as I’ve noticed a lot of people who were accepted have several years experience working in the field / research work plus volunteer experience. 

Thank you so much for the advice! I was thinking the BSW route. I will definitely look into 1 year BSW programs.

5 hours ago, Jane464652 said:

Just curious if anyone knows of BSW that can be completed in one year after having an undergrad in psych? 

The HBSW program at Lakehead is only about a year. You need a degree to apply, but it does not need to be in a field related to social work (I would know, my degree was far from being social service related and I was accepted into the program). They offer the program at their Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses.

1 hour ago, blueeyedblonde said:

The HBSW program at Lakehead is only about a year. You need a degree to apply, but it does not need to be in a field related to social work (I would know, my degree was far from being social service related and I was accepted into the program). They offer the program at their Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses.

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful! I will definitely look into that program. 

On 8/12/2019 at 7:39 PM, eagerbutfreakingout said:

To be honest, MSW part time at Laurier is highly competitive. You’re competing against 400 of applicants with above average GPAs and years of experience. With your experience, I suggest you can apply for full time MSW all over Canada or you can take the post-BSW program. 

On 8/12/2019 at 10:39 PM, eagerbutfreakingout said:

Hey! I had a low GPA after my psych degree (just below a 3.0)... I then did an SSW diploma as I was interested in social work but had no related experience.. the next year I did a two-year BSW and was able to get a much higher GPA and lots of experience through my placement and volunteering. I feel much more competitive now to apply for MSW programs (currently waitlisted... haha but I'll be applying this year again), and I am currently working as a social worker too! Also, you have a lot more options for MSW programs once you have a BSW. 

Hope this was helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

**Edit** Admissions got back to me and confirmed that they recently updated their system but that it doesn't affect past applications. Phew! They also said they hope to have decisions out in the next couple of weeks.

---------------

Does anyone else's Laurier LORIS Supplemental Document page look different than when they originally submitted at the beginning of the year? I swear it said all of my information was uploaded and no additional action was needed but the page is different today (not that I've been checking daily or anything...) and it looks like it's saying it wasn't submitted! 

I was just leaving for the gym when I saw this so my pre-workout had me freaking out a little extra. ?

Edited by WMH.18