Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

51 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

Congrats!! I sincerely doubt I will get off the waitlist at this point. ?

It’s an anxious wait and I felt the same. I actually gave up checking my email and all that. By chance I happened to check today and seen the email. So I’m just saying, you still have sometime. Someone I know said that her friend got in last year, during the summer. Good luck to you ❤️

Anyone have any updates regarding the wait list for Windsor? Just got a rejection letter in the mail from Laurier for the online msw. Spoke to York in person and there are 5 people who are on the list to be contacted regarding acceptance. I didn’t make the cut. 

On 5/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, schoolforme30 said:

Is anyone still waiting to see if they got into the Advanced standing at York U? My status still says "under consideration."

Also, a week ago my friend who was waitlisted to U of T received an offer. So U of T waitlist is slowly moving, although not fast enough for those of us who are waiting.

Yes I am. But at this point I’m not holding out much hope.

I had friends that were unsuccessful and told back in April. They were given suggestions on how to make their application more successful. I’m hoping the same is done for me given I made it to their “waitlist” if you would call the state we are in that. 

Hi Everyone,

I applied to Laurier's MSW program and didn't get in, but I've now been accepted into Dalhousie's BSW distance delivery program (yay!!). I'm curious about people's thoughts on pursuing the BSW now and then ultimately doing a 1 year MSW versus holding out and re-applying to the 2 year MSW next year (I'm a mature student and have improved my grades as a post-degree student since my original MSW application). My hope is to work in mental health.

Also, any input on Dal's BSW distance delivery program is much appreciated.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, ProBonoJunkie said:

Anyone have any updates regarding the wait list for Windsor? Just got a rejection letter in the mail from Laurier for the online msw. Spoke to York in person and there are 5 people who are on the list to be contacted regarding acceptance. I didn’t make the cut. 

Is this for the advanced standing or the two year MSW program? (Re York)

Edited by Socialwork5

On 5/14/2019 at 8:34 PM, dolnin said:

Hey all, 

Lot's of great information in this thread. I'm wondering if there is anyone in the same situation as me: 5+ years of experience in social services, graduated with a non-bsw undergraduate degree. 

I'm hoping to get into health related social work such as "mental health clinician,"  or working as a resource social worker, residential or hospital." I know that with MCFD they do look for undergraduate + experience, where as the health authorities seem to require MSW. 

I reside in BC, and Im looking for something flexible that I can do either online or part-time/evenings, so I can still work.  At this point i'm not sure if I should be spending my time and money on a BSW is best so that I can do an advanced MSW. I've researched so many schools and I still am not making any progress... 

Anyone in the same boat? 

I have been a therapist for 5 years (mental health nurse is my background) I was accepted into the distance part-time MSW program at Laurier. My motivation to do this was so I could work privately and not have to worry about losing clients due to lack of insurance coverage.

Good luck!

16 hours ago, lulu76 said:

Hi Everyone,

I applied to Laurier's MSW program and didn't get in, but I've now been accepted into Dalhousie's BSW distance delivery program (yay!!). I'm curious about people's thoughts on pursuing the BSW now and then ultimately doing a 1 year MSW versus holding out and re-applying to the 2 year MSW next year (I'm a mature student and have improved my grades as a post-degree student since my original MSW application). My hope is to work in mental health.

Also, any input on Dal's BSW distance delivery program is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Friends and colleagues have told me that Dal is not a very clinical school for both BSW and MSW. I think it totally makes sense to do a distance bsw esp if you are working and then only have to do a 1 year msw! I would do a pros and cons list :)

I got waitlisted for the 1 year advanced standing at York u, and offered an admission to the 2 year part time advanced standing. I declined as I will be going to U of T. Just letting the part timers know there will be a space available. :)

2 hours ago, the.social.nurse said:

Friends and colleagues have told me that Dal is not a very clinical school for both BSW and MSW. I think it totally makes sense to do a distance bsw esp if you are working and then only have to do a 1 year msw! I would do a pros and cons list :)

Thank you! How important do you think a clinical focus is at the BSW level? Is it possible to do clinical work immediately post a BSW or would I likely need my MSW? Other BSW programs I applied to include Waterloo and McMaster.

10 hours ago, lulu76 said:

Thank you! How important do you think a clinical focus is at the BSW level? Is it possible to do clinical work immediately post a BSW or would I likely need my MSW? Other BSW programs I applied to include Waterloo and McMaster.

I don’t know of many BSW programs that have a clinical focus. 

You need a masters in social work to do clinical work. 

5 hours ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

Thank you for your insight. I suspected this was the case. Do you believe there is a benefit to doing the BSW and MSW vs. simply doing the MSW (I have a Business Psychology degree from 20 years ago)?

18 hours ago, lulu76 said:

I think it is important if that is your goal in the end! Some BSW's in NS can get jobs doing Community Outreach, and subsequently they need to do a lot of self-directed learning on clinical therapeutic strategies. I am biased though because my background is in nursing and my primary role is doing clinical therapy.

8 hours ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

I am wondering if it depends on the province. We had a MSW student at our clinic (in NS) who was working as a BSW prior in New Brunswick. She told us it is not uncommon for BSW's to do clinical therapy (mostly CBT and SRP) in community mental health clinics. It may be because the need is so high with all the rural areas with limited resources in the maritimes. 

I emailed the Grad Assistant at York and got the following update about the 1 year advance standing MSW. 

“We have been able to fill all our spots in FT Advanced standing MSW. I am just waiting for a short waitlist from the admission committee before I could refuse other files in the system...may be one more week.... Thank you for your patience.”

Those of us still with no decision... haven’t even been waitlisted yet. Don’t know what would cause the committee to go to the waitlist once they have created it. 

2 hours ago, the.social.nurse said:

I am wondering if it depends on the province. We had a MSW student at our clinic (in NS) who was working as a BSW prior in New Brunswick. She told us it is not uncommon for BSW's to do clinical therapy (mostly CBT and SRP) in community mental health clinics. It may be because the need is so high with all the rural areas with limited resources in the maritimes. 

Ah perhaps! I’m unfamiliar with practice in the Maritimes. In BC or Ontario though, you need an MSW for clinical practice. 

5 hours ago, lulu76 said:

Thank you for your insight. I suspected this was the case. Do you believe there is a benefit to doing the BSW and MSW vs. simply doing the MSW (I have a Business Psychology degree from 20 years ago)?

Difficult to say! The two year MSW programs are more competitive than the one years from what I’ve heard. With your experience it would probably be more useful to just pursue the MSW right away. 

2 hours ago, MSWhopeful@York said:

I emailed the Grad Assistant at York and got the following update about the 1 year advance standing MSW. 

“We have been able to fill all our spots in FT Advanced standing MSW. I am just waiting for a short waitlist from the admission committee before I could refuse other files in the system...may be one more week.... Thank you for your patience.”

Those of us still with no decision... haven’t even been waitlisted yet. Don’t know what would cause the committee to go to the waitlist once they have created it. 

I didn’t apply to York, so I don’t have any personal stake in this, but this system seems really dumb. 

Hey everyone, Im a little worried and was hoping I could hear from others. I got an offer from Ryerson back in March and during the phone conversation I was told that we would be getting a detailed package shortly that would provide more information for stuff such as funding. I've accepted my offer on time and paid the deposit. However I haven't received anything yet other that the offer letter on RAMMS. Is everyone else having the same experience or has Ryerson sent you more information? 

I've tried serval times to email and call (left vm) Milene Ferreira in the past 2 months who is graduate administrator who we were told to reach out to if we had questions however I haven't gotten a single reply.

Does anyone know what I should do? So about 2 weeks ago I contacted Windsor U about my app status still showing "waiting for confidential reports" since Feb. They told me that the system messed up by duplicating one of my referees so they fixed it and changed the status to "in process". And today when I tried to log in, the system is all blank and there's no app status nothing. This is getting quite frustrating and I have contacted the grad secretary about this. Does anyone know who else I should contact since it's getting out of control? Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? 

Edited by kaur96

Hi all,

I was on the waitlist for 2-year MSW at UofT and Windsor. I received an offer of admission for both. I’ve accepted UofT and so a position will be available for Windsor! Good luck to all those who are still waiting. Don’t give up ?