Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

4 hours ago, chandl28 said:

I’m sorry I know this is already in the thread but I was having trouble locating it...

I’ve been waitlisted for both UofT and Laurier for the 2 year MSW programs. Just wanted to confirm what dates the payments are due for these programs so that I have a better idea on when I may hear. I have been accepted to an accelerated BSW program but don’t want to pay prematurely and then find out about an MSW program.

Thanks for any help!

payment is due at u of t may 24th :) 

3 hours ago, MSWgoals said:

Hey for those of you who have accepted the 2 year Laurier offer, is there any minimum tuition deposit we need to pay? I don’t seem to have any information on that.. thanks in advance! :)

I think we'll get that information once we are able to select courses... might not be until May or slightly later! 

On 4/7/2019 at 6:02 AM, MirandaVC said:

Just putting it out there that I did the post-degree BSW program at McMaster and I'm willing to answer questions if you have them!

Hey Miranda! 

I applied to the post-degree BSW at McMaster for this September, and would love to hear your thoughts on the program! How did you like the faculty and placements options? Do you remember when you found out you were accepted? I wrote the SWAT in March, and I've been anxiously waiting for a response since then! ?

Thanks for all your help and advice! :)

On 4/13/2019 at 6:22 PM, spers said:

Congratulations on being accepted to Windsor! :) Did you apply to the two-year program or advanced standing? The faculty of graduate studies asked me for another transcript on Friday. 

I applied for the 2 Year programs at all schools. :)

Does anyone know how I can gain more experience in social services? I currently work with ymca (part-time in afterschool care), CMHA as a respite worker, EA (Educational Assistant) for children with special needs for Catholic and the public board. I have volunteered as a mentor at Big Brothers Big Sisters, Research assistant (2 times) at my university. 

To anyone waiting for the Post degree BSW at York, I just received an acceptance! The offers of admissions are rolling out now. After being waitlisted at York and U of T (msw) there is some hope of heading into the right direction! Congrats to all accepted and best of luck to those still waiting ?

14 hours ago, tjo said:

To anyone waiting for the Post degree BSW at York, I just received an acceptance! The offers of admissions are rolling out now. After being waitlisted at York and U of T (msw) there is some hope of heading into the right direction! Congrats to all accepted and best of luck to those still waiting ?

Congrats on your acceptance to York's post bsw program! I was considering applying to York next year. Could you share how much volunteer experience you had or your GPA. I was wondering how competitive the program is. York's post-bsw requirements seem strange because the requirements seem higher than their MSW program that only reviews your last two years of study while the BSW program reviews your cumulative GPA. Thanks!

On 4/4/2019 at 12:50 PM, chandl28 said:

I was informed by email this morning that I have been chosen to be on the waitlist for the 2-year Laurier MSW. Apparently only 10 applicants were chosen for this, which gives me hope... but I’m not sure what the class size is. I have also been waitlisted at UofT. Does anyone have any experience with the Laurier waitlist? I would love to go to UofT but their waitlist situation makes it seem unlikely I will get an acceptance there. 

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to their programs, and to everyone else, stay strong and trust the universe :) 

rejected my offer at laurier so hopefully that opens up a spot for you!!

5 minutes ago, lala91 said:

Congrats on your acceptance to York's post bsw program! I was considering applying to York next year. Could you share how much volunteer experience you had or your GPA. I was wondering how competitive the program is. York's post-bsw requirements seem strange because the requirements seem higher than their MSW program that only reviews your last two years of study while the BSW program reviews your cumulative GPA. Thanks!

Thank you thank you thank you! Honestly, from talking with the program and submitting the application, it was basically the same process at the MSW ones... I believe, but I’m not exact because I’ve talked to so many different departments, the post accepts 40 students (but I’m not 100 on that number). I had three great references that I truly believed helped me! (one full time prof, one Ontario Youth Advocate, and from a supervisor at the place I volunteer). I’ve been volunteering on a warm line since last June, I’ve done a bunch of training through this organization, I have peer support drop in experience and I’m starting the structured peer support program here! I see clients once a week (up to three clients). I just graduated from a BA Psych Hons with all Bs for my first/sec year but finished off last two on honours. I think what made my application strong was my letter of intent, I have a lot of lived experience and I really emphasized that in my statement. York seems to be very critical/anti-oppressive in a systematic sense and I hope to get into social justice and advocacy work therefore I really really really wanted to get into York!!! And this program is great because it opens opportunity at other schools to apply for MSW advanced standing instead of the two year (which I just applied too). I believe that Mac offers a post degree too! Also side note, York considers anything above an 80 an A so that helps too ?

On 4/15/2019 at 9:01 PM, smile4matsie said:

Long time lurker here. I applied to the University of Toronto, York University and Ryerson for MSW advanced standing programs.  I was rejected by Ryerson (WTH...I had my BSW from Ry) and waitlisted by UofT and York.  I was offered acceptance by York University on April 12, 2019, with $10 000 funding with fellowship.  I've accepted their offer.  Previously my status on MyFile stated - application under consideration.  

I had until April 26th to accept.  I'm assuming the next round of acceptances for people on the waitlist will go out after April 26th.  Good luck to everyone still waiting. This process was more intense than I expected.

Congrats! That's amazing.

Hey guys! 

I'm looking for a roommate in Waterloo/Kitchener to share a 2 bedroom apartment/condo with as bachelor pads and 1 bedrooms are very expensive.

I am a female and going to be at WLU. I am looking to move in September and my price range is between $700-900 all inclusive. There were a lot of nice, potentially affordable 2 bedroom apartments that I've seen already. 

Let me know and we can chat more! :)

On 8/1/2018 at 7:51 AM, jaynie said:

Hi,

I applied to the MSW online part-time for non social work students at Laurier Jan 2019 start.  Has anyone heard yet?

Good Luck to everyone!

Hey! I just applied for the Jan 2020 start.

How long did it take to hear if you got accepted? If you started it, how are you liking it?

On 4/20/2019 at 7:35 PM, MSWgoals said:

Hey for those of you who have accepted the 2 year Laurier offer, is there any minimum tuition deposit we need to pay? I don’t seem to have any information on that.. thanks in advance! :)

I emailed to ask about this a while ago - there's no deposit necessary! 

On 4/22/2019 at 8:42 AM, kaur96 said:

Does anyone know how I can gain more experience in social services? I currently work with ymca (part-time in afterschool care), CMHA as a respite worker, EA (Educational Assistant) for children with special needs for Catholic and the public board. I have volunteered as a mentor at Big Brothers Big Sisters, Research assistant (2 times) at my university. 

It depends on your interests but I personally I gained most of my experience at Stonehenge Therapeutic Community in Guelph. Its a treatment centre for adults with drug and alcohol addictions. You can be a behavioural counsellor out of undergrad and there's so much professional development and opportunity for growth.

23 hours ago, tjo said:

Thank you thank you thank you! Honestly, from talking with the program and submitting the application, it was basically the same process at the MSW ones... I believe, but I’m not exact because I’ve talked to so many different departments, the post accepts 40 students (but I’m not 100 on that number). I had three great references that I truly believed helped me! (one full time prof, one Ontario Youth Advocate, and from a supervisor at the place I volunteer). I’ve been volunteering on a warm line since last June, I’ve done a bunch of training through this organization, I have peer support drop in experience and I’m starting the structured peer support program here! I see clients once a week (up to three clients). I just graduated from a BA Psych Hons with all Bs for my first/sec year but finished off last two on honours. I think what made my application strong was my letter of intent, I have a lot of lived experience and I really emphasized that in my statement. York seems to be very critical/anti-oppressive in a systematic sense and I hope to get into social justice and advocacy work therefore I really really really wanted to get into York!!! And this program is great because it opens opportunity at other schools to apply for MSW advanced standing instead of the two year (which I just applied too). I believe that Mac offers a post degree too! Also side note, York considers anything above an 80 an A so that helps too ?

Thanks for the advice! I also really like York's critical/ social justice focused curriculum, so the program seems ideal for me. Anyways, best of luck to you!

On 4/22/2019 at 8:42 AM, kaur96 said:

In my opinion, you have multiple diverse experiences in social services which is quite impressive!! :) Continue doing what you have done so far as it definitely is making a difference in the communities you are working with. If you want more experience in the field, pursue any opportunity that interests you.

A lot of times when it comes to the MSW, schools are looking more for fit than anything else. It is hard to say exactly what each school is looking for, but an overall strong application (written statement, experience in social services, references, and GPA) would increase one's chances. 

Best of luck! 

Just found this discussion thread and wanted to share info I learnt from reading all the posts pertaining to York’s MSW acceptances. 

March 14  - York sent the 1st wave of acceptances for advance standing (I believe full time and part time as no one was specific) with a March 28 reply by date

April 2 - York sent the 1st wave of acceptances for full time 2 year with an April 16 relay by date

April 5 - York sent the 1st wave of unsuccessfuls for advance standing full time and part time. Didn’t see any posts about 2 year full time

No one has posted that York specifically told them they were on a “waitlist”.

I applied only to the advance standing full time program and Myfile still says no decision yet - under consideration. I spoke to Pam in the SW graduate department yesterday and she said she is waiting for direction from the Director on the next batch of acceptances and unsuccessfuls. She does not know when she will get this information. 

It is discouraging to read that York has a reputation of not updating those individuals still waiting until June/July. 

10 hours ago, MSWhopeful@York said:

Just found this discussion thread and wanted to share info I learnt from reading all the posts pertaining to York’s MSW acceptances. 

March 14  - York sent the 1st wave of acceptances for advance standing (I believe full time and part time as no one was specific) with a March 28 reply by date

April 2 - York sent the 1st wave of acceptances for full time 2 year with an April 16 relay by date

April 5 - York sent the 1st wave of unsuccessfuls for advance standing full time and part time. Didn’t see any posts about 2 year full time

No one has posted that York specifically told them they were on a “waitlist”.

I applied only to the advance standing full time program and Myfile still says no decision yet - under consideration. I spoke to Pam in the SW graduate department yesterday and she said she is waiting for direction from the Director on the next batch of acceptances and unsuccessfuls. She does not know when she will get this information. 

It is discouraging to read that York has a reputation of not updating those individuals still waiting until June/July. 

Thank you so much for updating us with the info! That's so frustrating tbh. I'm also still waiting for Windsor and idk when they will send their acceptances. My status still says waiting for confidential reports ? I sort of have hopes from UoT as I got waitlisted, but still what are the chances. 

On 4/23/2019 at 8:47 PM, moonsun.jang said:

Hey guys! 

I'm looking for a roommate in Waterloo/Kitchener to share a 2 bedroom apartment/condo with as bachelor pads and 1 bedrooms are very expensive.

I am a female and going to be at WLU. I am looking to move in September and my price range is between $700-900 all inclusive. There were a lot of nice, potentially affordable 2 bedroom apartments that I've seen already. 

Hi! Just curious where you're looking for apartments. Craiglist? Kijiji? I'll be moving with my boyfriend looking for a one bedroom and not sure where to start!

On 4/23/2019 at 8:47 PM, moonsun.jang said:

Hey guys! 

Hey, I’m in a very similar position! I’m not 100% ready to commit to moving to KW, but would love to chat! What program are you in? I’m doing my Masters of Social work which is not on the main WLU campus but is located right downtown Kitchener.