Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

I'm super depressed about how I got waitlisted at Uoft and probably rejected at York, and I can't stop thinking about it. I worked up my entire life for this moment and it seems like it didn't pay off ? I worked as a TA for two terms, two independent community research projects, and had over 4000 hours of human services through supporting LGBTQ youth in the mental health sector and sexual violence survivors on the crisis line. Is this a common experience for first time applicants? Does anyone have any advice on how to beef up my application for next year? 

I was informed by email this morning that I have been chosen to be on the waitlist for the 2-year Laurier MSW. Apparently only 10 applicants were chosen for this, which gives me hope... but I’m not sure what the class size is. I have also been waitlisted at UofT. Does anyone have any experience with the Laurier waitlist? I would love to go to UofT but their waitlist situation makes it seem unlikely I will get an acceptance there. 

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to their programs, and to everyone else, stay strong and trust the universe :) 

27 minutes ago, Giantoreo said:

I'm super depressed about how I got waitlisted at Uoft and probably rejected at York, and I can't stop thinking about it. I worked up my entire life for this moment and it seems like it didn't pay off ? I worked as a TA for two terms, two independent community research projects, and had over 4000 hours of human services through supporting LGBTQ youth in the mental health sector and sexual violence survivors on the crisis line. Is this a common experience for first time applicants? Does anyone have any advice on how to beef up my application for next year? 

I applied to McGill's QY MSW program last year, and felt exactly the same way. Much like you, I have a lot of experience. I have 7 years of work experience as a counselor, I facilitate groups on a monthly basis, and have worked in three different social service settings as an employee. I have a BA and a CEJEP diploma in social services. Plus, I supervise students to train them in the field of social work. On top of that, my grades were good too. I had been waiting to apply for McGill for 10 years and on the first try I was immediately rejected. I was completely crushed. However, this year I applied again and I was put onto their waiting list, and I made contacts in their department and started doing more alongside my full time job as a crisis counselor. I took more classes and boosted up my GPA, I got lots of feedback about the application before I submitted it, and sent out emails to people in the department. I think that revising a statement of interest always helps, and going directly to their department and asking them how to improve it for next year can go a long way. I did that, and now im on the waiting list. Despite how frustrating that is, I still find that its better than an outright refusal. It also depends on how competitive the program is, so don't take it personally either. For example my program of interest accepts 20 people every year out of hundreds of applicants. I really think that it's important to remember that your value or your capabilities are not validated by an acceptance to your program of choice. You are already awesome and doing your best. It really is the luck of the draw sometimes, and try not to let it get you down!  I'm sending you good positive vibes!!

Edited by lisafara

1 hour ago, Giantoreo said:

I have VERY similar volunteer/work experience and am in the same boat as you re: U of T and York. I really think there's just a lot of us, and both programs are really small. It's so hard not to take it personally, though. If it helps, a lot of people I know got in off waitlists! 

1 hour ago, chandl28 said:

I was informed by email this morning that I have been chosen to be on the waitlist for the 2-year Laurier MSW. Apparently only 10 applicants were chosen for this, which gives me hope... but I’m not sure what the class size is. I have also been waitlisted at UofT. Does anyone have any experience with the Laurier waitlist? I would love to go to UofT but their waitlist situation makes it seem unlikely I will get an acceptance there. 

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to their programs, and to everyone else, stay strong and trust the universe :) 

Hey! The on-campus program takes about 70 students from what I have read in previous threads. Students have until april 21 to accept the offer so  the waitllist may move up soon! Hang in there :) 

1 hour ago, chandl28 said:

I just got the email for the waitlist at Laurier too.. just focusing on trusting that everything will work our and hoping to hear some good news soon enough! Best of luck to you!

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted to the MSW program and good luck to those still waiting. I just got accepted to the 2 years MSW program at york

Does anyone know what the class schedule is like for the first year? Also the cost of tuition?

Basically, any insight into what to expect for York would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the class schedule is like for the 2 year MSW program at UofT? I am trying to see if I can still work to support myself financially while completing this program. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, Cma26 said:

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted to the MSW program and good luck to those still waiting. I just got accepted to the 2 years MSW program at york

Does anyone know what the class schedule is like for the first year? Also the cost of tuition?

Basically, any insight into what to expect for York would be greatly appreciated.

I can only tell u to go to the website to hv a look of the 2 years msw program.. And fro tuition is around 7000-8000 one year 

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone that got in!  I'm an Ontario applicant and was accepted to the 2 year MSW at UBC-O. I will be attending in the fall. To those that didn't get in to U of T/Laurier and are looking into clinical programs, I strongly encourage you to consider UBC-O's program if you are willing to relocate. Additionally, the school primarily looks at grades for admission (stated on website), and could work to your benefit if you are lacking experience but are strong academically. For those that didn't get in this round, stay persistent. If this field is truly what you want, it will come with dedication.

Best of luck to everyone! :)

- Mitch 

24 minutes ago, WaitingEndlessly said:

I can only tell u to go to the website to hv a look of the 2 years msw program.. And fro tuition is around 7000-8000 one year 

thanks

10 hours ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

Would anyone suggest taking Laurier's Social Work Professional Development Certificates and Workshops after completing the MSW? 

There used to be a 50% fee discount for each course when taking the certificate workshops while you're still a student/attending classes. I don't think this is the case anymore :( the last cohort really fought to keep this discount, but they scrapped it. Maybe we can take on the fight. 

I personally am interested in the CBT and trauma certificates. 

9 hours ago, JennaMS said:

Still haven't heard from Laurier either! Has anyone gotten the snail mail yet, or the rejection on LORIS? I don't even know where to look on LORIS, could someone give me some direction? 

Hi Jenna

When you enter Loris, click on "Admission Applications".

On the next page, you will see that beside program, the "Master of Social Work" text is clickable. When you click this, this is where you can see their decision - if it has been made.

Crossing my fingers for you! 

14 minutes ago, SageAU said:

There used to be a 50% fee discount for each course when taking the certificate workshops while you're still a student/attending classes. I don't think this is the case anymore :( the last cohort really fought to keep this discount, but they scrapped it. Maybe we can take on the fight. 

Thank you very much for this information! It is great to hear that prior MSW students have advocated to keep the discounted price, however, it's unfortunate to hear that it didn't remain. 

I am also interested in those certificates in addition to the mindfulness certificate. 

I most likely would enroll into a certificate or workshop program after I complete my MSW in order to help me specialize in certain areas of practice. 

Edited by SC-MSW 2019

6 hours ago, Cma26 said:

Congrats on getting into York's 2 year MSW!! :)

I am a current BSW student at York who received entrance into their Advanced Standing MSW on March 14.

In my acceptance letter I was offered the York Graduate Fellowship ($10,000) and the York Graduate Scholarship ($8,000)! York is the most generous school when it comes to funding! I am not certain what the amount is for the 2 year MSW, however, York would specify the amount on MyFile. If the letter isn't uploaded yet, you could always call the School of Social Work and inquire about your funding package. 

Here is the link for the program structure of all the MSW programs: https://socialwork.gradstudies.yorku.ca/msw/msw-program-structure/

You could also check out which courses were offered this year and what their time slots were on this website:   https://w2prod.sis.yorku.ca/Apps/WebObjects/cdm.woa/6/wo/iYYEME69ysrVOBQKIFEs60/0.3.10.21                                 

York generally has most courses run at the same time with most of the same professors that were listed from prior semesters. At times this changes, but at least you can get an idea of what was available prior. 

York's MSW is a very progressive program which focuses on Critical Social Work, social justice, advocacy, and research. York focuses on challenging macro societal issues and systems of oppression. A lot of critical thinking and self-reflection is used throughout their Social Work programs, however, Clinical Social Work practice is quite limited in their program (they have two electives which somewhat touch upon clinical practice such as Narrative Therapy and Critical Social Work and Group Facilitation and Social Justice). There also is a large emphasis on Marxism and Foucault in the MSW. 

Edited by SC-MSW 2019

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum as I've been patiently waiting for York's response for the two year MSW program. I've recently been admitted to Laurier's two year on-campus MSW so it'd be awesome to connect with others in the program :) 

Laurier's program seems like it'll be a really great fit for me as the clinical aspect is strong, however, I'm only concerned about the whole funding situation (hence why I'm still waiting for York!). I've checked laurier's page that discusses external and internal funding opportunities but it seems like the deadlines for some of these have past already :(. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, nedmomenz said:

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum as I've been patiently waiting for York's response for the two year MSW program. I've recently been admitted to Laurier's two year on-campus MSW so it'd be awesome to connect with others in the program :) 

Laurier's program seems like it'll be a really great fit for me as the clinical aspect is strong, however, I'm only concerned about the whole funding situation (hence why I'm still waiting for York!). I've checked laurier's page that discusses external and internal funding opportunities but it seems like the deadlines for some of these have past already :(. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks!

Hi Ned!

For Laurier, it looks like we submit a "funding profile" at the end of the summer which will help the financial aid office narrow down which scholarships/bursaries/etc. we qualify for. So if you didn't apply to the OSG, other scholarships, etc.when you applied in January, there is still an opportunity to get other kinds of funding! 

4 hours ago, SageAU said:

Hey!

When I went to the MSW information session at Laurier this past fall they mentioned that they offer the courses at a discounted rate for Laurier students so maybe they just changed this as of 2019? I am interested in completing a few of the certificates as well.

10 hours ago, Giantoreo said:

I dun think is a common experience for first time applicants