Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

I just got an email acceptance and update on Loris from Laurier about a half hour ago !!! I'm so happy!!!! 
Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear and congratulations to all who have been accepted!! For those who were not accepted this year, don't give up!!

Edited by Jessica_11

2 minutes ago, Jessica_11 said:

I just got an email acceptance and update on Loris from Laurier about a half hour ago !!! I'm so happy!!!! 
Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear and congratulations to all who have been accepted!! For those who were not accepted this year, don't give up!!

Congratulations! Do you mind me asking what your last initial is?

51 minutes ago, ButtsButtsButts said:

Is it done alphabetically or are they sent out randomly?

I feel like they’re likely done randomly, but you never know.. plus, I think it’s strange that anything would be sent over the weekend - does anyone know if that is a normal thing?

2 hours ago, FeministDreams said:

Neither UofT, nor Laurier offered me any funding yet! :(Does that information arrive separately or should I email them? Do they usually offer any funding?

Hey I’m wondering the same about Laurier.. did you happen to apply to OGS? 

2 hours ago, FeministDreams said:

Neither UofT, nor Laurier offered me any funding yet! :(Does that information arrive separately or should I email them? Do they usually offer any funding?

6 minutes ago, MSWgoals said:

When I was accepted to the advance standing program at Laurier all my funding was listed on LORIS when I clicked on my application and the acceptance showed up. There is also a student awards and financial aid tab on LORIS and when you click view my student aid/funding it lists my scholarships. I am lead to believe the funding is offered as soon as you see your acceptance. 

I am dumb and didn't even know about OGS or the deadlines for it. Hahaha. 

10 minutes ago, Purple-Elephant said:

When I was accepted to the advance standing program at Laurier all my funding was listed on LORIS when I clicked on my application and the acceptance showed up. There is also a student awards and financial aid tab on LORIS and when you click view my student aid/funding it lists my scholarships. I am lead to believe the funding is offered as soon as you see your acceptance. 

I am dumb and didn't even know about OGS or the deadlines for it. Hahaha. 

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I didn’t apply to OGS either ?

When I click the student aid/funding tab I don’t see anything :( maybe funding is limited and not for everyone? 

Just now, MSWgoals said:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I didn’t apply to OGS either ?

When I click the student aid/funding tab I don’t see anything :( maybe funding is limited and not for everyone? 

I think it's limited -- I didn't get any either. 

23 minutes ago, MSWdreams said:

To all of my fellow 1-year advanced standing MSW applicants: Has anyone on this forum heard from either U of T or Laurier to be selected off of their waitlists at all? 

Not sure about Laurier, but I don’t think the U of T waitlist will move til May at the earliest. I think as spots become available they re-assess the applicants on the waitlist (as its apparently not ranked) so that would take some time. 

5 hours ago, MSWgoals said:

Hey! I will definitely be applying for OGS. Are there any other scholarships you know of that I can apply for? Thank you so much, I've been so stressed about funding.

Edited by FeministDreams
Edit: nevermind, the deadline passed! :(

On 3/26/2019 at 1:37 PM, acciojenna said:

Hey! I was waitlisted last year and to improve my application I decided to do a fast-track SSW program at George Brown. It's only 8 months, and half of it is essentially placement which I thought would be useful as I think I was lacking hands on experience. In addition to that I did a little bit of volunteering. I think this year I also just strengthened my letter of intent and got one really strong rec letter that I was too scared to ask for last year (should have just done that) which made a difference. 

There is a question in the app where they ask you what changed about your app since last year so i think it's helpful for them to see dedication/commitment, extra steps to improve ones app. 

While you are waitlisted, I would recommend getting more experience in the next month or two, maybe another rec letter and potentially a better research methods grade if possible and send it in to strengthen you application and increase your chances of getting off the waitlist. 

Hey, may I message you to ask you about George Brown's SSW program, please?

7 hours ago, FeministDreams said:

Hey! I will definitely be applying for OGS. Are there any other scholarships you know of that I can apply for? Thank you so much, I've been so stressed about funding.

Hey! I didn't initially apply for OGS either but I believe you can still apply for it while you're in the program, you just wouldn't get the funding until a later semester if you are approved.  Also, there is a good resource on the Laurier website about scholarships: https://students.wlu.ca/registration-and-finances/graduate-funding-and-awards/external-funding.html

Minimum Academic Requirements

The applicant must, at minimum, meet the following OGS academic requirements:

• If entering the first or second year of graduate studies at the time of application, the applicant must have an overall average of at least A- (or equivalent) in each of the last two years of study (or full-time equivalent).
  • Applicants entering the third year of graduate studies at the time of application must have an overall average of at least A- (or equivalent) on all graduate courses completed.
  • If the master’s or doctoral degree marks used for calculating an applicant’s grade point average (GPA) are not available (for example, courses were graded on a pass-fail basis), then the university’s Graduate Studies Office will use the most recently available undergraduate or graduate marks to calculate a student’s GPA.
Edited by Jessica_11

10 minutes ago, Jessica_11 said:

Hey! I didn't initially apply for OGS either but I believe you can still apply for it while you're in the program, you just wouldn't get the funding until a later semester if you are approved.  Also, there is a good resource on the Laurier website about scholarships: https://students.wlu.ca/registration-and-finances/graduate-funding-and-awards/external-funding.html

Minimum Academic Requirements

The applicant must, at minimum, meet the following OGS academic requirements:

• If entering the first or second year of graduate studies at the time of application, the applicant must have an overall average of at least A- (or equivalent) in each of the last two years of study (or full-time equivalent).
  • Applicants entering the third year of graduate studies at the time of application must have an overall average of at least A- (or equivalent) on all graduate courses completed.
  • If the master’s or doctoral degree marks used for calculating an applicant’s grade point average (GPA) are not available (for example, courses were graded on a pass-fail basis), then the university’s Graduate Studies Office will use the most recently available undergraduate or graduate marks to calculate a student’s GPA.

Thanks so much for the info Jessica :) I’m just wondering where you read that we can still apply for OGS? :0  

@feministdreams take a look at this link for more funding info :) 

Edited by MSWgoals

3 hours ago, MSWgoals said:

I’m not entirely sure but from last year’s MSW thread some folks found out as late as July/ August .. :( 

July or August! Was this the wait for acceptance or the time when applicants found out if they were off of the waiting list? That just seems like a ridiculously long waiting period. 

50 minutes ago, Mel _01 said:

July or August! Was this the wait for acceptance or the time when applicants found out if they were off of the waiting list? That just seems like a ridiculously long waiting period. 

I know right?! I applied to the online program as well.. 

From my understanding, based on last year's thread, it was the wait for acceptance into the program! :( 

7 minutes ago, MSWgoals said:

I know right?! I applied to the online program as well.. 

From my understanding, based on last year's thread, it was the wait for acceptance into the program! :(

Last year was the first year of the program and they were very unorganized with the acceptances. The May cohort found out 2 weeks before they were supposed to start. I was accepted for this year's May cohort and found out the first week of January. Keep the faith that you will find out soon.

1 hour ago, ErinCM said:

Last year was the first year of the program and they were very unorganized with the acceptances. The May cohort found out 2 weeks before they were supposed to start. I was accepted for this year's May cohort and found out the first week of January. Keep the faith that you will find out soon.

Thank you for the reassurance! How are you finding the program so far? :)