Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

11 minutes ago, SDZ said:

Congratulations!! Would you mind taking a screenshot or just letting us know where the admission documents can be specifically found on SGS? Thank you!

Thank you! This is what it looks like. When you click "Decision Made", a PDF will load. Best of luck!image.thumb.png.e807f6de2133998987fbb4c6b4351fb3.png

9 minutes ago, aspiringmsw2019 said:

Congratulations!!! Has your acorn status changed to ‘invited?’

Hi! I didn't register for ACORN so I don't know. I think you'll get an email when the document is uploaded. Good luck! :) 

Ok guys HELP. 

Help me understand what I’m looking at here:  I applied at UofT for the 2y MSW. 

I currently see:

on SGS: Status: Under Review

on ACORN: under “Degree Registration Status”:

SW MSW 2019-2020 - Invited. 

Pleade tell me this means what I think it means... 

Just recieved my acceptance to UofT via e-mail and SGS! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far. :)

I will be leaving my placement in Calgary - so if anyone is waiting to get into the clinical program through that university, a seat just opened up!

Congratulations to all of those who got accepted!

I have been waitlisted as of late last night. Does anyone happen to know how many people are typically placed on the waitlist? I know it's not ranked, so I'm just trying to figure out my odds. TIA!

2 hours ago, Chicafelix said:

Ok guys HELP. 

Help me understand what I’m looking at here:  I applied at UofT for the 2y MSW. 

I currently see:

on SGS: Status: Under Review

on ACORN: under “Degree Registration Status”:

SW MSW 2019-2020 - Invited. 

Pleade tell me this means what I think it means... 

That was updated now SGS has my ACCEPTANCE LETTER! 

So happy ? 

Hi team! 

Congratulations to all the successful applicants! You put so much work in! I hope you celebrate your successes and take some time to breathe! 

I do have some questions as I was wait listed this year. I was wondering if anyone who was previously wait listed and then this year had successful applications might be able to provide some information regarding how they improved their applications. I was also wondering if someone might feel comfortable sharing their successful application with me. I would love to just compare and contrast and see how I could have improved my framework or organization. 

I am so hoping to get into this program (if not off the wait list, next year) and would love just to do some peer research! Especially because I'm trying to decide if I should just go the BSW route and then do the advanced placement... 

You should all be celebrating! Thank you for your time and consideration. 

58 minutes ago, deklr said:

Hi team! 

Congratulations to all the successful applicants! You put so much work in! I hope you celebrate your successes and take some time to breathe! 

I do have some questions as I was wait listed this year. I was wondering if anyone who was previously wait listed and then this year had successful applications might be able to provide some information regarding how they improved their applications. I was also wondering if someone might feel comfortable sharing their successful application with me. I would love to just compare and contrast and see how I could have improved my framework or organization. 

I am so hoping to get into this program (if not off the wait list, next year) and would love just to do some peer research! Especially because I'm trying to decide if I should just go the BSW route and then do the advanced placement... 

Hey! I was waitlisted last year and to improve my application I decided to do a fast-track SSW program at George Brown. It's only 8 months, and half of it is essentially placement which I thought would be useful as I think I was lacking hands on experience. In addition to that I did a little bit of volunteering. I think this year I also just strengthened my letter of intent and got one really strong rec letter that I was too scared to ask for last year (should have just done that) which made a difference. 

There is a question in the app where they ask you what changed about your app since last year so i think it's helpful for them to see dedication/commitment, extra steps to improve ones app. 

While you are waitlisted, I would recommend getting more experience in the next month or two, maybe another rec letter and potentially a better research methods grade if possible and send it in to strengthen you application and increase your chances of getting off the waitlist. 

For those of you who applied to the one year advanced standing MSW at York - have others  also not heard back yet? I am confused as I know they have given out acceptances but I haven't heard about any rejection or waitlist offers. As of now my application still says "currently under consideration" ..trying to figure out if this means rejection 

Edited by Socwrk2

3 hours ago, aspiringmsw2019 said:

I got rejected ☹️ I think it was probably my research course grade... thank you ?? and congrats to everyone who was accepted!! Time to move on and freak out over the next schools heheh :)

So sorry to hear that!! :( 

My research course grade was pretty low IMO (77). In my statement, I highlighted my research experiences from volunteering at several psychology labs and also talked about conducting my own undergrad thesis. I think my practical research experiences were valued more than my research course grade, which I took back in second year. I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Socwrk2 said:

For those of you who applied to the one year advanced standing MSW at York - have others  also not heard back yet? I am confused as I know they have given out acceptances but I haven't heard about any rejection or waitlist offers. As of now my application still says "currently under consideration" ..trying to figure out if this means rejection 

Kinda in a waitlist situation haha

Congratulations to everyone who has received offers to their choice schools!!! Happy for each of you! And to those who are still waiting...self care and best wishes! But mostly I wanted to post to those who have received a rejection. How disappointing! And Im sorry! But please please recognize this doesnt reflect on you as a person! Once you have processed, then I hope you can view it as an opportunity...an opportunity for a different direction for 2019/2020. You each have shown tremendous dedication and hardwork to get to this point. Please celebrate your successes! Cast your mind over feel good moments of the past and recognize the value you each have! Do not let this affect mental wellness which is far more important than school. Cheering you each on to whatever the next year holds! Be mindful. Be present. Love yourself. Enjoy the spring!

3 hours ago, deklr said:

Hi team! 

Not a direct answer to your question, but if it helps, I've already basically been practicing social work for 3 years (just without the degree) and I got wait-listed to U of T this year -- and I used a successful application from a colleague as a writing guide. I was told they had a ton more applicants than usual, and I also think it just means my experience wasn't what they needed for this year's cohort. All to say, I think it's all somewhat up to chance/circumstance and not necessarily reflective of how strong a candidate you are. I'm sure reapplying with more experience will look good no matter what.

26 minutes ago, DovesLanding said:

Congratulations to everyone who has received offers to their choice schools!!! Happy for each of you! And to those who are still waiting...self care and best wishes! But mostly I wanted to post to those who have received a rejection. How disappointing! And Im sorry! But please please recognize this doesnt reflect on you as a person! Once you have processed, then I hope you can view it as an opportunity...an opportunity for a different direction for 2019/2020. You each have shown tremendous dedication and hardwork to get to this point. Please celebrate your successes! Cast your mind over feel good moments of the past and recognize the value you each have! Do not let this affect mental wellness which is far more important than school. Cheering you each on to whatever the next year holds! Be mindful. Be present. Love yourself. Enjoy the spring!

I agree with all of this. Most of all we have to remember: MSW programs are SO. COMPETITIVE! It is an accomplishment to even complete the prerequisites and going through a daunting application process (gaining experience, finding references, writing personal statements, etc.) Everyone pursuing this career has a good heart and are going to help people, no matter what path gets you there.  

6 hours ago, deklr said:

Hi team! 

Hey! I was waitlisted in 2017 and got accepted to the two year program at UofT this time around. After getting waitlisted, I spent some time considering what my application lacked and realized that I didn't have enough work or research experience. Since my initial application, I obtained more work experience in healthcare (my field of interest) and also volunteered for a children's mental health agency as a Research Assistant. 

I also filled out the portion of the application where they ask how your application has changed since last applying. I kept it brief but outlined the hours of work and volunteer experience that I got since my first application. Hope this helps!