Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Don't trust LORIS for your Laurier application, I went to check my application status and on LORIS is says application unsuccessful but I emailed my advisor and she said that the Online MSW Part-time has not been concluded.  She said that the decisions for that program will go out by the end of September. I had a shitty day all day yesterday thinking I didn't get into the only program I have left to get into. But I still have a chance. If she says anything else I'll make sure to do a new post. I just wanted to say this in case anyone did the same. Good luck everyone.  

Edited by sgall101

I also got a letter in the mail yesterday (rejection) for the Laurier MSW part time on-line.  I guess they really didn't want me LOL. A generic letter about what to do to be more successful next application.  I was coming in as a registered psychotherapist; BA in Psychology and gerontology (80's average, all stats course above 80), post graduate diploma in addiction studies, and 20 + years experience in mental health and addictions.  I need on-line as I am a single mother, can't afford to leave my FT job and live hours north of any University that offers MSW.  I'm disappointed but more frustrated that when I first enquired about the program I was told that I was exactly the candidate they were looking for.  They were looking for applications with 8-9 years experience.  Not sure what I could do differently but am also oddly at peace that it wasn't meant to be.

23 hours ago, LauraCC said:

I also got a letter in the mail yesterday (rejection) for the Laurier MSW part time on-line.  I guess they really didn't want me LOL. A generic letter about what to do to be more successful next application.  I was coming in as a registered psychotherapist; BA in Psychology and gerontology (80's average, all stats course above 80), post graduate diploma in addiction studies, and 20 + years experience in mental health and addictions.  I need on-line as I am a single mother, can't afford to leave my FT job and live hours north of any University that offers MSW.  I'm disappointed but more frustrated that when I first enquired about the program I was told that I was exactly the candidate they were looking for.  They were looking for applications with 8-9 years experience.  Not sure what I could do differently but am also oddly at peace that it wasn't meant to be.

Yeah I got more clarification and the LORIS site is correct so I got rejected as well.  I feel the same I have so many years of experience and more than a bachelors degree. My experience is in more than three areas of mental health and I had fantastic grades, as well as  a very clear direction for my future plans fro the next ten years. I will sadly now need to save so that I can afford the egregiously over priced MCP program at Yorkville to be able to do what I want for my career going forward. These programs need to figure out that mental health in this country is declining and we need to have more available seats for overtly qualified individuals that need more credentials to get the necessary work done that needs doing. I'm at peace with it but it does not change that its depressing. As well, I really wanted to avoid having to pay double the money to get the degree I need to do what I want to do. 

Hi everyone! I am new to this so I apologize if this is a silly question, but this forum seems super supportive so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with this :) I am in my fourth year of psychology at Ryerson, and am planning to graduate at Spring convocation, which is hopefully May! I was looking into masters programs which are geared towards those who do not have their undergrad in social work but have it in another social science (I believe that these schools are York, Laurier, U of T, King's College at Western, U of Windsor and Carleton if I'm not mistaken?) None in advanced standing, obviously ? However, for example, I went on Laurier's MSW website, and it stated that I needed to be graduated in order to apply. But, I thought for graduate school, you could apply in your last year of study so that there is a chance you will be accepted after graduation, so there is no gap. Is this the case for all the programs; will I have to wait until I have graduated in the Spring to apply? Or, do I apply as though I am technically graduated (trust me, I only have a few courses left so I'm pretty positive my name will be at that grad ceremony ;) Lol.) Or are some schools just strict as in, you cannot apply until you have received your Bachelors. I have four years of experience working in a community centre for underprivileged youths, and also teaching swimming to those with a disability, plus have experience as an elementary school volunteer. I also work in a developmental lab on campus. My current average is a B+, and I'm hoping it can be raised to an A-. I am also trying to gain more volunteer experience. I am wondering if this is enough to even apply or be considered. Please let me know, and good luck to everyone out there! :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

For those who were accepted into Laurier MSW Advanced Standing for January 2020 start, what was the date you had to accept by? I am currently on the wait list and just trying to gauge if I have any hope of it moving forward! Congrats to those who were accepted!

On 9/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, Alyssa.O said:

Hi everyone! I am new to this so I apologize if this is a silly question, but this forum seems super supportive so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with this :) I am in my fourth year of psychology at Ryerson, and am planning to graduate at Spring convocation, which is hopefully May! I was looking into masters programs which are geared towards those who do not have their undergrad in social work but have it in another social science (I believe that these schools are York, Laurier, U of T, King's College at Western, U of Windsor and Carleton if I'm not mistaken?) None in advanced standing, obviously ? However, for example, I went on Laurier's MSW website, and it stated that I needed to be graduated in order to apply. But, I thought for graduate school, you could apply in your last year of study so that there is a chance you will be accepted after graduation, so there is no gap. Is this the case for all the programs; will I have to wait until I have graduated in the Spring to apply? Or, do I apply as though I am technically graduated (trust me, I only have a few courses left so I'm pretty positive my name will be at that grad ceremony ;) Lol.) Or are some schools just strict as in, you cannot apply until you have received your Bachelors. I have four years of experience working in a community centre for underprivileged youths, and also teaching swimming to those with a disability, plus have experience as an elementary school volunteer. I also work in a developmental lab on campus. My current average is a B+, and I'm hoping it can be raised to an A-. I am also trying to gain more volunteer experience. I am wondering if this is enough to even apply or be considered. Please let me know, and good luck to everyone out there! :D 

I dk about all the schools you listed but for Kings you can apply. If accepted they will give you an offer conditional upon actually graduating. Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! If anyone is on the Waitlist for WLU online advance standing MSW Program I had sent an email asking about transferring credits if I got accepted and they said that they do not anticipate moving the waitlist for Winter 2020.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 1:39 PM, LisaOh said:

Does anyone know about the affordability of an MSW in the U.S. vs. Canada?

I am assuming that you would be paying international tuition. International tuition varies from school to school, although I'd say reliably there's a range of between 15-23k for SW. However, compared to the schools it appears that you are currently applying to in the US, Canadian schools would most likely be significantly less and you'd be paying tuition in CDN $. For example, where I am currently doing my MSW, Wilfrid Laurier University, the international tuition for SW is 22k a year CDN, so you're looking at around 15k USD.

Hey everyone! I have an issue where one of my references didn't submit their form due to email and computer issues. I'm aware that Uoft will still accept late references but I'm unsure until when. Considering the deadline was Dec 10 and they will be closed for the holidays from Dec 23-Jan 3. My reference will most likely mail her reference form instead. I'm very stressed about the outcome since they won't review my application until it's complete. Has anyone been in this situation before? 

2 hours ago, volivia said:

Could anyone who has been accepted previously to the online MSW (2 year) at Laurier, share what their GPA/hours were like?

I started my MSW in May online at Laurier. I had a GPA of 93% in Child and Youth Care and approx 12000 hours of experience in the field. It seems that most of the students have at least 7000 hours. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 9:55 PM, ErinCM said:

I started my MSW in May online at Laurier. I had a GPA of 93% in Child and Youth Care and approx 12000 hours of experience in the field. It seems that most of the students have at least 7000 hours. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi Erin,

Can you message me a little bit about the program.. expectations, assignments, etc? I'm weighing out some options. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2018 at 10:51 AM, jaynie said:

Hi,

I applied to the MSW online part-time for non social work students at Laurier Jan 2019 start.  Has anyone heard yet?

Good Luck to everyone!

I just applied for this program too! I've been trying to find someone else who's applied for this program and is enrolled in it! How is it so far??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I could really use some advice. I'm on the waitlist for the MSW program at U of T for 2020. At this point I'm trying to figure out a plan B. I am thinking of getting a Community Service Worker Diploma (44 weeks) from a private college. I picked this college because I can finish the program within a year and its close to where I stay. There is a practicum part of the course as well. Will this diploma help me when I apply for a MSW program at U of T again next year? Or will it not count because it is a private college. I would really appreciate any input from past applicants that have already got into the school. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I know this thread is about MSW but I was wondering if someone could help me out. I just got accepted into York and Ryerson for their BSW and I'm having trouble finding recent information about their programs. I have to decide by May 21... I know I should have done this research earlier. If I could get any advice about the reputation of the schools, and anything in regards to employment opportunities, quality of education I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone :)

I'm a 4th year BSW student at the University of Calgary. I'm looking into applying for my masters this year and was looking into online MSW programs. I noticed many people here have been accepted into the online programs I was looking into (Laurier, Dalhousie, WLU). I was wondering if anyone who has completed/is in the online MSW program could share their experience? how did you like the online stream vs in person learning?

(Setting aside that most of us are online this semester- looking for more info on those programs that are strictly online outside of Covid)

7 hours ago, Jenn.t said:

Hi everyone :)

I'm a 4th year BSW student at the University of Calgary. I'm looking into applying for my masters this year and was looking into online MSW programs. I noticed many people here have been accepted into the online programs I was looking into (Laurier, Dalhousie, WLU). I was wondering if anyone who has completed/is in the online MSW program could share their experience? how did you like the online stream vs in person learning?

(Setting aside that most of us are online this semester- looking for more info on those programs that are strictly online outside of Covid)

I am halfway through the non-BSW program at Laurier and about to start my practicum. I am loving the program. I was glad that the program was online because the only part that was interrupted with COVID was placements. They are now allowing them to be in-person, hybrid or remote for the fall. It is an intense program because each course is 6 weeks and you do one course at a time so it's fast and there's a lot of reading and assignments in a short amount of time. 

• 1 month later...

On 4/13/2019 at 1:11 PM, SDZ said:

Hey everyone!

Congratulations on everyone's acceptances thus far. For people who have been waitlisted, do not loose hope! There is still time to hear back.

I am currently working part-time at my work and have a lot of time on my hands. If anyone wants feedback on their applications or want insight about it, feel free to message me! I was accepted at UofC, UofT and UofVic (but rejected at Carleton and York). I had a lot of feedback on my applications and I found this to be very useful in my success. Just want to pay it forward to to other people, if they want feedback as well! :)

Hey there, what kind of experience and education did you have? And do you have any insights or guidance to provide for the overall application and statement questions for UofT?

8 hours ago, Empathymatters said:

Hey there, what kind of experience and education did you have? And do you have any insights or guidance to provide for the overall application and statement questions for UofT?

Hello! Hope you are well and keeping safe.

I graduated with a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology back in 2015. My professional experience came afterwards since I volunteered at a local distress centre, worked at a group home, and then worked at a community resource centre. I worked for four years before being accepted at the UofT MSW program.

For guidance, I definitely encourage people to start the application process early and take the time to think about your mission statement. Think about how your application will stand out amongst everyone else who is also applying that year. I believe that there was close to 700 people who applied during my time, but they only accepted 150. Imagine being a complete stranger reading your mission statement and not knowing anything about you. How can you make your mission statement strong and unique?

Here are some questions to think about that can help with this. Do you have personal experience that can contribute to the social work field? Do you see any gaps that you want to see improvements on and if so, what are the solutions? Would you be able to contribute to UofT's faculty in a meaningful way (e.g., research)? These are important questions to consider during your writing process.

Lastly, leave time for editing and have multiple read your mission statement. It's important to receive feedback during this time!

I hope that is helpful! Feel free to ask me anything else if it comes up. Good luck with your applications!

On 9/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, Alyssa.O said:

I completed my BA in April and started my MSW at Laurier's online non-BSW program in May. My offer was conditional until I got a letter from the University where I completed my BA saying I had completed all requirements for graduation. 

• 1 year later...

Hello? ….Anyone out there? ?

I’ve applied for the part-time online MSW program at Laurier (Sept 2022 start) and I’m dying to know if anyone else that has applied (or is planning to apply soon) is lurking on here. 

Or even anyone that has applied more recently than Oct 2020 (when the last post was made on this forum)? If you’re out there I’d love to hear from you!!!! Eeeeeek

Edited by SaraEm2021