PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

3 hours ago, CanadaEpi said:

Has anyone heard back from University of Toronto Dalla Lana School of Public Health PhD Epidemiology?

Yes! Heard back last week for an interview - interviewed last Saturday. It was very brief, and not a conversation at all compared to interviews elsewhere. 

On 1/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, HSR_PHD said:

Hi Everyone,

Just discovered this forum! I'm going to post an update on interviews I've received so far in case it can help anyone :)

I pretty much applied to every school between DC and Boston (I need to be within 3-4 hours of NYC - where my husband and I are now, he may need to stay here for work)

NYU                               PhD in Public Administration (Health Policy concentration)  -- haven't heard anything
Rutgers                         PhD in Health Systems & Policy -- haven't heard anything                      
NYU                               PhD in Public Health (Health Policy & Management concentration) -- haven't heard anything  
Johns Hopkins            PhD in Health Policy & Management  -- phone interview on Jan 16
Dartmouth                    PhD in Health Policy & Clinical Practice  -- made it to the second round of the application process
Boston University        PhD in Health Services Research    -- phone interview on Jan 17
Brown                            PhD in Health Services Research    -- invited to prospective student day on January 25
Northeastern                 PhD in Population Health    -- haven't heard anything  
Drexel                             PhD in Health Services Research  -- received formal acceptance/offer
Harvard                          PhD in Health Policy        -- haven't heard anything  
Yale                                 PhD in Health Policy & Management       -- haven't heard anything  
Penn                                 PhD in Health Care Management & Economics       -- haven't heard anything   
George Washington       PhD in Public Policy & Administration (Health Policy track)    -- haven't heard anything  
U. of Maryland                 PhD in Health Services Administration     -- phone interview on Jan 18
U. of Massachusetts     PhD in Health Policy & Management  -- haven't heard anything  
Cornell                             PhD in Policy Analysis & Management (Health Policy concentration)   -- haven't heard anything  
Temple University         PhD in Health Policy & Management     -- haven't heard anything  

Would love to hear everyone else's news so far

Just discovered this forum as well!! I'm not sure if this is helpful or panic-inducing (don't fret if you haven't heard back! I've heard that sometimes they just don't interview and you can get an acceptance without one - unsure if that's accurate, but really hoping that's the case for some of the schools I've applied to and haven't heard back from!!)

My list of places I've applied to: 

NYU - PhD Health Policy and Management - haven't heard anything

Harvard - PhD Health Systems (Global Health and Population) - haven't heard anything 

Hopkins - PhD Health Systems - interviewed last week with two profs! said they shortlisted 10 ppl for interviews.

University of Toronto - Phd Epi (with Global Health concentration) - interviewed last weekend! 

Yale - PhD Health Policy and Management - haven't heard anything (I know interview day is in Feb and not hearing back probably means bad news? :( anyone applied to the HPM stream? The ppl that I know who've gotten interviews applied to SBS and Epi.... )

Brown University - Epi - haven't heard back (but I hear prospective student day is on the 25th so no news indicates bad news here?)

Columbia University - Epi - haven't heard back 

McGill - Epi - haven't heard back (but they're known for replies very late in the application season) 

Congrats to all of you that have heard back and interviewed! And for those who haven't, just a note that you're doing great, that until you get some form of communication from the university, all is not lost - and there's plenty of opportunities to strengthen your application and apply again next year! It's not a race - everything will work out!! Hugs from Canada!

On 1/22/2019 at 10:02 AM, Pubhealth101 said:

After an interview, should we follow-up with a thank you email? 

Also, application update: 

• UCSF - Global Health Services - (interviewed) 
  • University of Washington - Global Health - Implementation Sciences  
  • Harvard - Global Health - Health Systems 
  • Brown - Behavioral and Social Health Sciences (going to recruitment day - Jan 25) 
  • Yale - Social and Behavioral Sciences 
  • Johns Hopkins - International Health - Health System 
  • Columbia (ONLY DrPH program) - Global Health 
  • University of Toronto - Social and Behavioral Health Sciences 
  • McGill Univerity - Epi 

If anyone has heard anything from the other programs let me know :)

Yes definitely follow up with a thank you email! It'll give you a chance to reiterate what you've discussed during your interview and add a point or two that you may not have had the chance to include. Also why did you put unofficially rejected at Yale for SBS? Is it because you didn't get an invite for interview day? I applied for HPM and haven't heard anything - is that bad news? :(

2 hours ago, CanadaPhDProspective said:

Yes definitely follow up with a thank you email! It'll give you a chance to reiterate what you've discussed during your interview and add a point or two that you may not have had the chance to include. Also why did you put unofficially rejected at Yale for SBS? Is it because you didn't get an invite for interview day? I applied for HPM and haven't heard anything - is that bad news? :(

Thank you! I wasn't sure but I'll work on that tomorrow. Who did you send it to? I don't want to make faculty feel like they have to respond so i was thinking the coordinator rather than faculty. 

I didn't get invited to Yale's interview day so I'm assuming it is a rejection. I also see that you applied to JHU - health systems track. I applied as well but haven't heard anything yet so... 

13 hours ago, Pubhealth101 said:

Thank you! I wasn't sure but I'll work on that tomorrow. Who did you send it to? I don't want to make faculty feel like they have to respond so i was thinking the coordinator rather than faculty. 

I didn't get invited to Yale's interview day so I'm assuming it is a rejection. I also see that you applied to JHU - health systems track. I applied as well but haven't heard anything yet so... 

I sent them to the profs that interviewed me! They might not have the time to respond but they'll at least see your message. One of them actually responded back (which I'm hoping is good sign!) But good call on sending it to the coordinator too - they do all the scheduling so will definitely appreciate getting the thank you. 

1 hour ago, CanadaPhDProspective said:

I sent them to the profs that interviewed me! They might not have the time to respond but they'll at least see your message. One of them actually responded back (which I'm hoping is good sign!) But good call on sending it to the coordinator too - they do all the scheduling so will definitely appreciate getting the thank you. 

I second this. I sent thank you emails to professors and coordinators. I had a few situations where I was set up with specific students, so I sent emails to them as well. I figured it really couldn’t hurt and shows appreciation for the time that they spent talking with me. I received responses most-ish of the time after my email (acknowledging that they’ll look out for my application, think I’ll be a good fit, connecting me with other faculty, etc). 

19 hours ago, CanadaPhDProspective said:

Yes! Heard back last week for an interview - interviewed last Saturday. It was very brief, and not a conversation at all compared to interviews elsewhere. 

Congrats! This is my second time applying and I'm not optimistic once again. I'm not sure what more they want from me, considering I have publications, a high GPA in my Epi masters, and Epi research work experience. What does your portfolio look like?

On 1/25/2019 at 9:15 AM, Epistudent19 said:

Rejected from

Hopkins epidemiology program today via email- still waiting on Harvard’s PhD in PHS =[

JHU already sent out their rejection emails out? Haven't heard anything back from JHU since the application.

• Interviewed for JHU International Health - Human Nutrition PhD on 01/09/19, follow-up interview 01/13. Told will be notified of decision by early Feb
  • Interviewed for Harvard PHS - Nutrition PhD with two faculty members;  with POI on 12/18/18 and AdComm member on 12/22/18. Told will be notified of decision by early Feb
  • Waitlisted for interview at Boston Uni for the Nutrition and Metabolism PhD (under PiBS) - notified via email on 01/24/19
  • Pending - UChicago Molecular Metabolism and Nutrition - radio silence.... has anyone heard anything/applied?

23 hours ago, MK42 said:

I just received an invite for a Skype interview with professor at UW (implementation science), any ideas on potential questions?

Not sure about UW specifically but you might find this thread useful :)

Hi all,

I've been lurking somewhat for a few years now. Finally got my first Phd acceptance letter (and I am super stoked!). Rutgers Phd in Health Systems and Policy. Just received the email an hour ago but the official letter is dated 22 January. No interview. Full tuition support and Research Assistant appointment.

My background: International applicant. Bachelor's in Philosophy (Non-US). Master of Public Policy (Non-US). Good GPAs for both. One book review and one co-authored book chapter (2nd author) in bioethics. Worked in a bioethics research centre outside of the US for about two-years part-time while doing my undergrad and masters. GRE: V161/Q163/4.5. Contacted POI is assigned as my supervisor in the acceptance letter. He is in an interdisciplinary field of public health ethics that straddles between philosophy, bioethics and public health. I didn't think I had a shot because my background wasn't strongly leaning towards 'traditional' aspects of Public Health. But I have a strong quant foundation from my masters and a strong philosophy and ethics foundation from my undergrad. I stated in my application that I would be doing research mostly in the interdisciplinary field of public health ethics, so I thought that it would count against me. 

I have also applied for Johns Hopkins - Health Policy & Management (Concentration in Bioethics and Health Policy) and Oxford - Population Health. I have not heard from either schools.

It's been a long journey for me since I first applied for doctoral programmes three years ago. Good luck to everyone!

On 1/24/2019 at 4:36 PM, E.COLI said:

Has anyone heard from Epidemiology PhD programs of UC Berkeley and Columbia?

PAINFULLY eager to hear from Berkeley, one of my top programs! They sent an email a while back saying to expect results mid-february to early march, and it looks like last year mimicked that timeline. Fingers crossed sooner rather than later, good luck!

4 hours ago, Epidem2019 said:

PAINFULLY eager to hear from Berkeley, one of my top programs! They sent an email a while back saying to expect results mid-february to early march, and it looks like last year mimicked that timeline. Fingers crossed sooner rather than later, good luck!

I haven't received the email that you mentioned, but I also didn't see anyone posting anything on the admission results page so.... Good luck!!