What to say in email to professor

philopsych

Hey all. So I know, in the fall, I should email the professors with which I'm interested in working. When I applied to grad school in other fields basically the worst things you could do were to email a specific professor about working with them or mentioning specific professors in a research statement. Because I was told in other fields that this was a horrible thing to do, I just want to make sure I approach this email correctly. I know I should succinctly explain my research interests, but then what? "I see our research interests match. Are you taking new students next year?" Just wondering how best to approach this. Thanks!

@philopsych Don't say your research interests match! Let them decide if they think your research interests match...this happened to me with an email I sent. I thought my research interests overlapped more or less perfectly with the professor's, but she did not. I would say something along the lines of "I'm interested in hearing more about the work you're currently doing in your lab and about the graduate program at [university name]." Then if they're interested in you, they'll tell you. 

This approach also makes it easier to reach out to multiple professors at the same university, while asking to work directly under just one makes reaching out to their colleagues a little awkward.

I don't know about other fields, but for Psych applications, the expectation is definitely that you do your homework and contact specific professors in advance. You should be able to mention the names of a potential advisor or two in your personal statement, and clearly state what about their research program interests you (and how it overlaps with your past experiences/future plans). 

When I was reaching out to potential advisors, my current mentor told me that the emails should follow this general structure:

- Dear Professor ____ (USE THEIR NAME AND BE SURE TO SPELL IT CORRECTLY!) ...

- Who are you? Where did you get your undergrad? If you've graduated already, what are you doing now? If you had a meaningful and productive experience in research already, who was your mentor?

- What are your research interests for grad school? What about the prof's research interests you? (Be sure to drop a line referencing some specific aspect of their work, to demonstrate that you didn't just copy/paste one mass email to a hundred people)

- Ask if they will be accepting grad students for your application cycle, and express interest in hearing more about their research

- Attach your CV

*NOTE: Cover those main points, but keep it concise. Some profs will just entirely ignore emails with a giant wall of text.

8 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

Also don't be too discouraged if you don't get a reply, some professors prefer not to correspond with potential students or they're just simply too busy.

I don't know. If I didn't get a reply after two tries (spaced far enough apart) and there was no away message, I would take it as a bad sign re: this person's communication. Having an advisor who is not responsive is really terrible.

3 hours ago, t_ruth said:

I don't know. If I didn't get a reply after two tries (spaced far enough apart) and there was no away message, I would take it as a bad sign re: this person's communication. Having an advisor who is not responsive is really terrible.

My new advisor never got back on my do-you-plan-to-take-students-etc-email. However whenever i email him now he gets back to me within the hour. 

8 hours ago, Psygeek said:

My new advisor never got back on my do-you-plan-to-take-students-etc-email. However whenever i email him now he gets back to me within the hour. 

After being in academia for about ten years, I think what you experienced is an exception (and you are very lucky) :)

On 7/19/2018 at 5:29 PM, brainlass said:

I don't know about other fields, but for Psych applications, the expectation is definitely that you do your homework and contact specific professors in advance. You should be able to mention the names of a potential advisor or two in your personal statement, and clearly state what about their research program interests you (and how it overlaps with your past experiences/future plans). 

When I was reaching out to potential advisors, my current mentor told me that the emails should follow this general structure:

- Dear Professor ____ (USE THEIR NAME AND BE SURE TO SPELL IT CORRECTLY!) ...

- Who are you? Where did you get your undergrad? If you've graduated already, what are you doing now? If you had a meaningful and productive experience in research already, who was your mentor?

- What are your research interests for grad school? What about the prof's research interests you? (Be sure to drop a line referencing some specific aspect of their work, to demonstrate that you didn't just copy/paste one mass email to a hundred people)

- Ask if they will be accepting grad students for your application cycle, and express interest in hearing more about their research

- Attach your CV

*NOTE: Cover those main points, but keep it concise. Some profs will just entirely ignore emails with a giant wall of text.

This is more or less the same format I would use when contacting professors to do research with. You will inevitably have some who simply don't respond as others have mentioned, but this is a solid approach. Attaching your CV is a great bonus for them, saves back and forth and shows confidence. 

Don’t stress, and be yourself! I used slight variations of the format above; go ahead and attach any first-authored manuscripts or poster abstracts if applicable as well, as these materials will help you to stand out. 

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I've started drafting emails to the professors I want to work with. Now, a followup: do I have to send my CV to them? It just seems so presumptuous to me. It feels like "I assume you want to get to know me" or "how's about you check out how great I am." Would it hurt my chances if I just reach out to them with the format of email that has been recommended without attaching a CV?

17 hours ago, philopsych said:

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I've started drafting emails to the professors I want to work with. Now, a followup: do I have to send my CV to them? It just seems so presumptuous to me. It feels like "I assume you want to get to know me" or "how's about you check out how great I am." Would it hurt my chances if I just reach out to them with the format of email that has been recommended without attaching a CV?

I don't usually receive requests with CVs. I think it is fine to send without.

On 7/19/2018 at 4:29 PM, brainlass said:

(Be sure to drop a line referencing some specific aspect of their work, to demonstrate that you didn't just copy/paste one mass email to a hundred people)

...and don't copy/paste from their website, which is more common than people would think.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:03 PM, philopsych said:

Go ahead and send the CV with the first email. Not presumptuous at all. In fact it allows them to immediately look into your background if they are interested in you. 

This is the general format I used, and I successfully heard back from every professor that I contacted except for one (whom I successfully with at a conference prior to this and did not need to send this email to). I would change the additional questions I asked based on what was provided online - also, don't send an email if it clearly says online which professors are accepting students. 

All faculty responded very positively to this email, and I had Skype meetings with several prior to applying.

Hello Dr. Professor, 

My name is Student, and I am currently a second-year Master's student in Program at University. I am emailing because I am interested in applying to the Program at University, and wanted to connect with you prior to applying. 

My current research interests revolve around A, B, C, which I believe makes me an excellent fit as an applicant to this program, given your interest in X, Y, and Z. Thus, I hoped to inquire as to whether you will be personally accepting students this upcoming application season, to matriculate in Fall YEAR. I also hoped to learn more about your personal mentorship style, as well as the culture and training style(s) of the Program at University. 

I have attached my current curriculum vitae for your convenience, and greatly look forward to hearing from you. 

Best,

Student

• 2 weeks later...

I gave a brief review of my past work, future directions I'd be interested in pursuing under my POI's guidance (the pitch!!), asked what they were looking for in a student, whether they'd be accepting and attached my CV. Admittedly, my emails tended to run pretty long, so I don't know how much my POIs read--one gave me a specific positive response, one a more general positive, and the other a bit more vague "yep I'm accepting, I'll be looking forward to reading your app". Always attach your CV tbh, if thats one thing you do.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just emailed a professor and she replied

"I am indeed planning on accepting one graduate student this cycle... I look forward to reviewing your application!

Best,"

This isn't far from what i've gotten in the past, despite mentioning that I am keen in discussing her work and my research interests (and i'm worried the outcome will be the same aka rejection). How do you convince them to continue the conversation or is it a hit-and-miss kinda thing? Thanks in advance guys!

4 hours ago, loffire said:

"I am indeed planning on accepting one graduate student this cycle... I look forward to reviewing your application!

Best,"

This isn't far from what i've gotten in the past, despite mentioning that I am keen in discussing her work and my research interests (and i'm worried the outcome will be the same aka rejection). How do you convince them to continue the conversation or is it a hit-and-miss kinda thing? Thanks in advance guys!

If you ask them direct questions they will usually answer you. It is kind of a hit or miss sort of thing...they're most likely not going to say you're perfect and they're going to definitely admit you without considering all the other applications they'll get...especially if they're program is popular. Most of the professors I've emailed have seemed excited about my background and have wanted to talk more. I did have one kind of generic response because at that school the individual faculty don't have as much say in who gets admitted. That could be the case with the professor you emailed. At some schools the professors can sort of influence the decision, at others they're more at the mercy of the department as a whole.

On 8/31/2018 at 3:56 PM, loffire said:

Best,"

I got this too and it threw me off a bit, especially after sending such a detailed email. Chalked it up to their approach to dealing with prospective students, they didn't explicitly state their preference for how/if to be contacted but I'm guessing they're choosing to chat with applicants who get shortlisted. Some POIs don't like engaging in extensive chitchat because they're either very popular and don't have the time, want to keep things impartial until apps come in, or some other reason i've yet to hear ;).

>thinks of resending the email, expressing entirely different research interests from the POI, just to see if they'd send me the same response LOL