Those who had low GPA’s and got accepted... give the rest of us hope???

When I submitted my applications I had a 3.48 overall gpa, but it was a 3.72 in CSD major classes. On the GRE I got 145 V 144Q and 3AW. I applied to 5 schools rejected from 3 and waitlisted at 2 and then accepted off the waitlist at one of the schools. Remember that your GPA and GRE are just part of your application. Make sure you have a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation. You can do it!

I had a 3.1 undergrad GPA but a 3.75 CSD post-bacc GPA. 148V 156Q 4AW on the GRE. I was rejected from 3 and waitlisted at 2 and then accepted off the waitlist at one school. It only takes one! Like the above poster said, strong personal statements and letters of rec are super important too. Good luck! 

I had a 3.3 overall GPA and around the same for my CSD GPA. Average GRE scores as well. I believe my letters of rec and experience helped me get into 4/9 schools I applied to. Make yourself stand out in your resume/personal statement. I had 3 different research positions, behavior therapist position, 4+ volunteer positions in CSD-related fields. Make connections with professors - in my case the PI's I worked for in research labs. Also apply strategically - pick schools off of ASHA edfind that correlate with your #s. You've got this!

Hello there! Had an overall undergraduate gpa of 3.45 and a major gpa of somewhere around a 3.0. Since my gpa was low, I made sure everything else in my application was the best it could be by making sure my GRE was in the higher range (above a 153 for both sections and at least a 4 in writing), and get letters of rec from professors who actually knew me and could attest to my dedication. I also made sure to work my personal statement around why my gpa was low, and why everything else about me mattered more and how I had learned from past mistakes in classes and had moved forward. Bust out your final year of classes with good grades, do volunteering or work related to the field and try to get a recommendation from those you work with. I took an extra semester in the end to boost my gpa, and while grad apps were in spring limbo I worked as a substitute teacher for a special needs school—got great experience working with kiddos and got a great letter of rec from my boss.

Apply to a lot of schools, but make sure that most of them are attainable (look at school stats on Asha edufind). I applied to 12 schools, got waitlisted to 2 and got into 1.

Applying was one of the most stressful times of my life and I know that it was the same for a lot of other people here. Try your hardest, but know that if you do not get in the first year that it is okay—that happens to a lot of people. Just keep working hard and a school will see your dedication to this field. Your gpa does not solely define you, and you can do this!! 

If if you have any questions let me know—I joined this site for the sole purpose of giving grad school advice because I wish I would have had some going into the whole application process. Good luck!!

My overall GPA was a 2.9 (it was lower on CSDCAS), my CSD GPA was a 3.2.  My GRE was average. I think it was my experience that made me stand out! I volunteered at a speech clinic and worked as an ABA therapist. I also volunteered doing speech therapy internationally. I was not picky with where I applied, I applied to 10 schools all over the country. I ended up being invited to interview to half of those schools, waitlisted to 2 schools, and then accepted to 2! :)

Keep working on your personal statement and get LORs from profs/supervisors that know you very well. Show the schools who you are and how passionate you are about the field! Good luck!!! 

Hi! I applied three different application cycles and for me third time was the charm! I was accepted into three schools! My gpa from undergrad was a total of a 3.34, not sure what just the communication disorders classes were. I think my GRE scores were 142 for Verbal and 144 for Math and 4.0 for writing. Funny thing is the school I ended up attending did not need GRE scores. I think the thing that me this last time around was:

1. I applied all of the country and tried to apply to schools with a lower amount of applicants so I could stand out.

2. I submitted more than the minimum requirement of letters of recommendation (2-3) and instead submitted 4.

3. I gained experience in the field that I could use in my letter of intent. I volunteered at an integrated preschool and was able to observe with an slp and also work with kids. It was so much fun and I was able to confirm my interest in the field. 

Good luck and know we are all in this together! :)

On 8/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

Hi! I applied three different application cycles and for me third time was the charm! I was accepted into three schools! My gpa from undergrad was a total of a 3.34, not sure what just the communication disorders classes were. I think my GRE scores were 142 for Verbal and 144 for Math and 4.0 for writing. Funny thing is the school I ended up attending did not need GRE scores. I think the thing that me this last time around was:

1. I applied all of the country and tried to apply to schools with a lower amount of applicants so I could stand out.

2. I submitted more than the minimum requirement of letters of recommendation (2-3) and instead submitted 4.

3. I gained experience in the field that I could use in my letter of intent. I volunteered at an integrated preschool and was able to observe with an slp and also work with kids. It was so much fun and I was able to confirm my interest in the field. 

Good luck and know we are all in this together! :)

If you don’t mind me asking, what school did you attend?

My stats are below -- it's totally possible to get in with a mediocre GPA!

Take what you can control, and make the most of it:  your letter of intent, your GRE scores, and your experience.  These are the variables you can control.  Write a kickass letter, or even hire someone to write a first draft of what you want, then fine-tune it to your liking. Study incessantly for the GRE, and volunteer wherever! Go to your local state's speech/aud conference! Anything helps

I had a 3.4 GPA and my GRE scores were pretty average (writing was a bit above average). I got into a handful of schools, even turned down some interview opportunities. I was also waitlisted a few times, but I never got off any of the waitlists (as of 8/20/18). I actually got early acceptance into a state school, which is where I am going starting this fall. Feel free to message me.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:59 PM, GeeLee said:

My overall GPA was a 2.9 (it was lower on CSDCAS), my CSD GPA was a 3.2.  My GRE was average. I think it was my experience that made me stand out! I volunteered at a speech clinic and worked as an ABA therapist. I also volunteered doing speech therapy internationally. I was not picky with where I applied, I applied to 10 schools all over the country. I ended up being invited to interview to half of those schools, waitlisted to 2 schools, and then accepted to 2! :)

Keep working on your personal statement and get LORs from profs/supervisors that know you very well. Show the schools who you are and how passionate you are about the field! Good luck!!! 

Hi,  That's great!! Congratulations on getting accepted. Do you mind sharing what schools you got accepted to? 

22 hours ago, Carina25 said:

Hi,  That's great!! Congratulations on getting accepted. Do you mind sharing what schools you got accepted to? 

Hi! I'll message you :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 8:59 PM, GeeLee said:

HI! That is awesome! Do you mind sharing what schools you applied to and were accepted to? 

On 8/7/2018 at 6:59 PM, GeeLee said:

I would also love to know what schools you were accepted to!

On 8/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, Hannah7 said:

I had a 3.4 GPA and my GRE scores were pretty average (writing was a bit above average). I got into a handful of schools, even turned down some interview opportunities. I was also waitlisted a few times, but I never got off any of the waitlists (as of 8/20/18). I actually got early acceptance into a state school, which is where I am going starting this fall. Feel free to message me.

If you don’t mind me asking what we’re your stats and what schools did you get accepted to?

• 2 weeks later...

GPA 3.4

GRE V:151 Q:154 Writing:4.5

I applied to 15 schools total

Rejected- 6

Waitlisted- 3

Accepted- 3

Turned down interviews for- 2 (once I had received these interviews offers and I had already received early admission to one of my top choice schools)

1 school never got back to me with an admissions decision (assuming they lost the application)

• 1 month later...

I had a 3.42 overall GPA and a 3.46 CSD gpa, I took the GRE twice and managed to get a 152 verbal, 151 quant, and a 5 on AW. I applied to 14 schools last year (first time applying) and was accepted to 9 out of the 14! Many were acceptances off of the waitlist but an acceptance is an acceptance! I think you just need to apply smart, do well on your personal essays, and make sure to have some LOR's that help you stand out. I truly think my letters are what got me into so many schools. If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out! I know I was terrified to apply and really did not think I would get in anywhere, but you just have to have a little faith in the system!