DidoofCarthage

37 minutes ago, Marcus_Aurelius said:

No idea about the wait for Harvard, but for Princeton surely we shouldn't be uncomfortable if absolutely no one has heard anything. That doesn't make the tension easier, though.

I don't know, from the gradcafe results of 2018 for example, every single person who reported their results from Harvard Classics was rejected and therefore heard back only in March. So gradcafe is a good guide but not always indicative. Still, I shan't infect everyone with my pessimism. In any case, this week will be The Week for these schools it seems, the only discernible trend I can see is that for the past years, the last week of February has been a big wave of acceptances (with more rejections in early March). So let's not be uncomfortable, as you say, but it is all making me nervous for sure. 

5 minutes ago, unbeliever said:

Most of the flyouts for Berkeley (Classics, Classical Archaeology, and AHMA) are happening now. It is unclear whether anyone who was not invited to visit will be admitted.

Thanks for letting us know, I guess it's all over for me on that front. To add to that, in case anyone is waiting, the Stanford visit is in 2 days and the Penn visit took place last Thurs/Fri. Brown will be holding a prospectives interview + visit from 7-9 March. 

In case it helps to explain the long wait for rejections, it seems that Berkeley won't know exactly how much funding they have until early March, so they're waiting until then to make official announcements.  Unclear on whether or not that means there's potential for more admits.  Best of luck to everybody!

4 minutes ago, caecilius said:

I wasn't the one who reported (I am about to), but I did get in. What information would you be looking for?

Like, was it a generic email sent out, or a more specific one to you?  And congratulations!  

Just now, Oulomenen said:

Like, was it a generic email sent out, or a more specific one to you?  And congratulations!  

It was a generic email but with my name on it, sent out by the DGS and graduate administrator. The admitted applicants day is 3/4 April. We were also informed to tell them ASAP if not accepting, as that 'might make it possible for us to pass that offer on to another applicant' - so it seems they will be moving down the waitlist.

Does anyone have any advice on how to write a thoughtful letter rejecting an offer? I've got biting anxiety thinking about it. (Including the what if the school I'm saying yes to changes their mind??? syndrome.)

Just now, ClaudiusRex said:

Accepted to PhD Classics at St. Andrews! Still waiting on results for Wolfson scholarship/general funding there, and Ertegun scholarship/Clarendon fund at Oxford. 

Congrats to Princeton and Harvard admits!!

Congrats! Have you visited St Andrews? I was there in the summer and loved it, the ocean is truly beautiful. I had a real θάλαττα θάλαττα moment! 

8 minutes ago, caecilius said:

Congrats! Have you visited St Andrews? I was there in the summer and loved it, the ocean is truly beautiful. I had a real θάλαττα θάλαττα moment! 

Haha! No, I have not ever visited but have spent lots of time browsing around online, it looks absolutely lovely!

5 hours ago, Withnail said:

Does anyone have any advice on how to write a thoughtful letter rejecting an offer? I've got biting anxiety thinking about it. (Including the what if the school I'm saying yes to changes their mind??? syndrome.)

I just sent one of these, and I think it can be pretty simple, with varying degrees of detail depending on how much interaction you’ve had with the school. The format that I followed was: 1. Thanking them for their interest in me and offer of admission 2. Letting them know that I appreciated the interactions I had with faculty members (i.e. my interview), and 3. Letting  them know I had decided not to accept the offer. 

The response I got was very positive, I think they were thankful I got back to them early because that lets them offer a spot to someone else. Don’t worry too much about it, all departments understand that most applicants apply to multiple schools, so they are prepared to receive these emails. One thing I would advise against is telling them which school’s offer you plan to accept (just not necessary). I hope this helps :)

And congrats to all the admits! I haven’t heard from Princeton but I wouldn’t be too heartbroken cause I have other options. 

Hi all, I really need some advice.

I have secured an internship at the United Nations Women at the UN headquarters in New York city for 6 months. The issue is that my internship dates are September to December, which obviously overlaps with when programs start (September), which means that I will have to defer my admission.

I'm waiting to hear back from Oxford for an MPhil in Modern Middle East Studies. I want to get the most of my UN internship because these opportunities are hard to get. But i really don't want to risk Oxford making me reapply, especially if I get in.

Please provide your feedback and any suggestions you have! Thank you so much

On 2/26/2019 at 7:53 PM, NonneFeminae said:

I just sent one of these, and I think it can be pretty simple, with varying degrees of detail depending on how much interaction you’ve had with the school. The format that I followed was: 1. Thanking them for their interest in me and offer of admission 2. Letting them know that I appreciated the interactions I had with faculty members (i.e. my interview), and 3. Letting  them know I had decided not to accept the offer. 

The response I got was very positive, I think they were thankful I got back to them early because that lets them offer a spot to someone else. Don’t worry too much about it, all departments understand that most applicants apply to multiple schools, so they are prepared to receive these emails. One thing I would advise against is telling them which school’s offer you plan to accept (just not necessary). I hope this helps :)

And congrats to all the admits! I haven’t heard from Princeton but I wouldn’t be too heartbroken cause I have other options. 

Thank you! Yes, I've had a few interactions with the school—and I could see myself happily there—but I'm about to accept another offer. I wouldn't want to name names, though. Scout's honour and such... Perhaps the easiest to inform was my old alma mater.

Congrats to all receiving and accepting offers; and to those of you still waiting—don't give up hope! Dum spiro spero and so forth. If nothing comes through, wait another year. It's gruelling and terrible to think about, but I did wait a year, and at long last a bit of sunshine has been restored to my grubby street life.